WindowsXP "Compressed Files" is missing

My XP had a Compress Files option until after recently having to do a
complete restore on my computer (formatting harddrive, doing a reinstall, and
restoring folders/files from an external hard drive). Compressed (zip) Files
no longer appears as an option under File/New. I've tried Start/Run and
enterring "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and restarted the computer as suggested in
an older thread, but that didn't change anything. XP came imbedded in the
Sony Vaio Recovery CD's. How can I fix this? HELP!!! Thanks in advance.

Your hard drive must be formatted NTFS in order to have the
compress files feature. Open My Computer, right-click on
your drive and select Properties. Under "File System", is FAT32
shown?

CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS
in Windows XP
(by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP)
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"dbdan" wrote:

| My XP had a Compress Files option until after recently having to do a
| complete restore on my computer (formatting harddrive, doing a reinstall, and
| restoring folders/files from an external hard drive). Compressed (zip) Files
| no longer appears as an option under File/New. I've tried Start/Run and
| enterring "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and restarted the computer as suggested in
| an older thread, but that didn't change anything. XP came imbedded in the
| Sony Vaio Recovery CD's. How can I fix this? HELP!!! Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the registry edit mentioned in this article?

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/zipfldr.htm

You might also want to go to Kelly's site and download the
registry fix located on the right hand side of line 85, Restore
Compressed Zipped Folder Association:

If none of this helps, your repair options are limited due to the
fact that you don't have an XP installation cd. You could try
running System File Checker but I'm not sure how helpful that
would be.

Good luck
--
Nepatsfan
"dbdan" <dbdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My XP had a Compress Files option until after recently having
> to do a
> complete restore on my computer (formatting harddrive, doing a
> reinstall, and
> restoring folders/files from an external hard drive).
> Compressed (zip) Files
> no longer appears as an option under File/New. I've tried
> Start/Run and
> enterring "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and restarted the computer as
> suggested in
> an older thread, but that didn't change anything. XP came
> imbedded in the
> Sony Vaio Recovery CD's. How can I fix this? HELP!!! Thanks
> in advance.

I think the OP is asking about XP's native ability to create Zip
folders. I've got XP Home Edition running on a FAT32 partition
and it has no problem creating new compressed folders. NTFS
compression is a whole other subject.

--
Nepatsfan
> Your hard drive must be formatted NTFS in order to have the
> compress files feature. Open My Computer, right-click on
> your drive and select Properties. Under "File System", is
> FAT32
> shown?
>
> CONVERTING FAT32 to NTFS
> in Windows XP
> (by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP)
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
> Technologies:

> "dbdan" wrote:
>
> | My XP had a Compress Files option until after recently having
> to do a
> | complete restore on my computer (formatting harddrive, doing
> a reinstall, and
> | restoring folders/files from an external hard drive).
> Compressed (zip) Files
> | no longer appears as an option under File/New. I've tried
> Start/Run and
> | enterring "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and restarted the computer
> as suggested in
> | an older thread, but that didn't change anything. XP came
> imbedded in the
> | Sony Vaio Recovery CD's. How can I fix this? HELP!!!
> Thanks in advance.

Following up on my earlier post, you might want to take a look at
this site:

Scroll down to the bottom. Download and run the Zip folder
association fix.

--
Nepatsfan
"dbdan" <dbdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My XP had a Compress Files option until after recently having
> to do a
> complete restore on my computer (formatting harddrive, doing a
> reinstall, and
> restoring folders/files from an external hard drive).
> Compressed (zip) Files
> no longer appears as an option under File/New. I've tried
> Start/Run and
> enterring "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and restarted the computer as
> suggested in
> an older thread, but that didn't change anything. XP came
> imbedded in the
> Sony Vaio Recovery CD's. How can I fix this? HELP!!! Thanks
> in advance.

Thank you thank you. The patch at dougknox.com did the trick and I'm still
running a FAT32, although I plan to convert back to NTFS which is what I was
running on before the re-install, I didn't even think to check that after the
restore. Anyway, I sure appreciate the fast reponses from you both!

Best rewards,
Dan

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Following up on my earlier post, you might want to take a look at
> this site:
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> Scroll down to the bottom. Download and run the Zip folder
> association fix.
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "dbdan" <dbdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My XP had a Compress Files option until after recently having
> > to do a
> > complete restore on my computer (formatting harddrive, doing a
> > reinstall, and
> > restoring folders/files from an external hard drive).
> > Compressed (zip) Files
> > no longer appears as an option under File/New. I've tried
> > Start/Run and
> > enterring "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" and restarted the computer as
> > suggested in
> > an older thread, but that didn't change anything. XP came
> > imbedded in the
> > Sony Vaio Recovery CD's. How can I fix this? HELP!!! Thanks
> > in advance.

Since Doug did most of the heavy lifting here, I'll say you're
welcome on his behalf. Glad to hear that you've got that fixed.