Windows can't run and cannot retrieve password protectefil..

May 21, 2005 2:45:01 PM

In reality I have 2 problems:
My Laptot is stucked and wont run windows (XP Pro). It is cicled on a screen
asking to select wich mode to use to start (3 varieties of safe mode, one
last succsesfull mode, etc) but regardless of what I choose, it simply go
back to the same point.
My technicians tried to use a cd to start windows but whe the lap is copiing
files it just stops the process.

Before attemting to format the hard disk we installed the laptop hard disk
on a desktop (as a secondary external disk) and tried to copy all data to a
safe location, but the probles is that we cannot copy all files protected by
a USER PASSWORD (like "My Documents" folder and its files)

Please help
--
Alfrido
Anonymous

Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Alfrido" wrote:

| In reality I have 2 problems:
| My Laptot is stucked and wont run windows (XP Pro). It is cicled on a screen
| asking to select wich mode to use to start (3 varieties of safe mode, one
| last succsesfull mode, etc) but regardless of what I choose, it simply go
| back to the same point.
| My technicians tried to use a cd to start windows but whe the lap is copiing
| files it just stops the process.
|
| Before attemting to format the hard disk we installed the laptop hard disk
| on a desktop (as a secondary external disk) and tried to copy all data to a
| safe location, but the probles is that we cannot copy all files protected by
| a USER PASSWORD (like "My Documents" folder and its files)
|
| Please help
| --
| Alfrido
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:17:15 PM

Thanks for your prompt response.

The "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder report
does not seem to aply to my case because it requires to have had the hard
disk partitioned already. If I try to format the primary partition under the
current conditions I understand all the hard disk will be formatted.
What can I do then??

In trying to take ownership of a folder, when right-click on it and select
propereties I don't see a "Security" tab.
Does this have something to do with the fact that the folder I am tying to
gain ownership is installed on a temporary external hard disk belonging to a
computer in wich I cannot run windows whatsoever, and the folder to be own
has a USER PASSWORD originated in windows installed on the external hard disk.
Have no clue at all, what do I do then.
Thanks

Alfonso Rivera