New HDD on 8300 jumper settings - need help.

I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.

The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so I
installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the motherboard
and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the jumper set on the
first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So I set the jumper on the
250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5 possible locations. Tried
changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but couldn't get the system to
recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the jumper to the 1st position ( ::::| )
and I was able to get the drive partitioned and formatted but now I was
getting the Dell splash screen that stalled for a long time and then asked
me to hit F1 to continue or F2 to go to set-up. I changed the settings for
the hard drives to auto for SATA secondary drive and primary master and
slave drives but they still came up as unknown. Also, the drive, though
working, appears to have a slow access time.

I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once again
it can't be found by the system....sigh.

Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?

with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:

SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
Primary drive 1 not found
the 250GB is accessible

with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:

SATA secondary drive 0 not found
Primary drive 0 not found
the 250GB is not accessible

thanks in advance

Joe

The jumpers for both drives should be placed where they were originally.

The (blue) SATA interface cable should be connected to the (blue) SATA 0
connector on the motherboard.

Boot to the system BIOS and press ALT+F to force drive detection at exit.
Before pressing ESC to exit (and enter to save changes), check the 'boot
devices' or 'boot order' in the BIOS. Your SATA (original 120gb) drive
should be higher in the boot order than the IDE disk drive (if the new drive
shows in the boot order at all). Otherwise, the system may not boot to
Windows.

I'm not sure why you chose to mix SATA (your original HDD) and IDE (your new
HDD) interfaces. WSZsr is right. You'd have generally better off by buying
a 2nd SATA hard disk and simply connected it to the SATA 2 connect on the
mb....

Stew

"me again" <bucket7_99@dontexcite.com> wrote in message
>I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
>which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.
>
> The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so I
> installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the
> motherboard and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the jumper
> set on the first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So I set the
> jumper on the 250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5 possible
> locations. Tried changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but couldn't get
> the system to recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the jumper to the 1st
> position ( ::::| ) and I was able to get the drive partitioned and
> formatted but now I was getting the Dell splash screen that stalled for a
> long time and then asked me to hit F1 to continue or F2 to go to set-up. I
> changed the settings for the hard drives to auto for SATA secondary drive
> and primary master and slave drives but they still came up as unknown.
> Also, the drive, though working, appears to have a slow access time.
>
> I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once
> again it can't be found by the system....sigh.
>
> Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?
>
> with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:
>
> SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
> Primary drive 1 not found
> the 250GB is accessible
>
> with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:
>
> SATA secondary drive 0 not found
> Primary drive 0 not found
> the 250GB is not accessible
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Joe

Your original drive is a SATA drive since it uses the small blue cable.
Put its jumper back to its original position. Set the jumper on
your new IDE(a PATA drive) to the cable select position(see the
instructions that came with that drive for which location this is).
Connect the new drive to the end of the flat ribbon cable. You'v
already formatted the drive so that should do it. Recheck in BIOS that
both drives are set to auto. Go into device manager (control
panel>system>hardware>device manager) and check the IDE Controllers>IDE
Channels>advanced settings for both drives--should be use DMA if
available and DMA mode X as current transfer mode. If this doesn't
work, set the jumper on the new drive to master but still connect it to
the end connector on the ribbon cable. For more help, go to the Dell
Support forums--there is one for hard drive problems.

Ken

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Here is an install guide for a CD/DVD burner from CNET. It shows a CSEL
install I hope this helps.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-1.html
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html

"me again" <bucket7_99@dontexcite.com> wrote in message
>I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
>which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.
>
> The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so I
> installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the
> motherboard and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the jumper
> set on the first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So I set the
> jumper on the 250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5 possible
> locations. Tried changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but couldn't get
> the system to recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the jumper to the 1st
> position ( ::::| ) and I was able to get the drive partitioned and
> formatted but now I was getting the Dell splash screen that stalled for a
> long time and then asked me to hit F1 to continue or F2 to go to set-up. I
> changed the settings for the hard drives to auto for SATA secondary drive
> and primary master and slave drives but they still came up as unknown.
> Also, the drive, though working, appears to have a slow access time.
>
> I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once
> again it can't be found by the system....sigh.
>
> Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?
>
> with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:
>
> SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
> Primary drive 1 not found
> the 250GB is accessible
>
> with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:
>
> SATA secondary drive 0 not found
> Primary drive 0 not found
> the 250GB is not accessible
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Joe

Your 250GBB should be set according to
the below chart;
if the only drive on the ribbon cable, no jumper
if dual drives, if master, 3rd from left(pins 5-6).
if dual drives, if slave(center connector), 4th from left(pins 3-4).
or use cable select if the cable is 80 wire, 5th from left (pins 1-2).
All of this is on the drive. Leave the SATA drive alone.
Incidentally the first 2 positions are undefined. RTFM.

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Here is an install guide for a CD/DVD burner from CNET. It shows a
> CSEL install I hope this helps.
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-1.html
> http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html
>

> "me again" <bucket7_99@dontexcite.com> wrote in message
>>I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a
>>2nd HD which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a
>>slave drive.
>>
>> The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so
>> I installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the
>> motherboard and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the
>> jumper set on the first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So
>> I set the jumper on the 250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5
>> possible locations. Tried changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but
>> couldn't get the system to recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the
>> jumper to the 1st position ( ::::| ) and I was able to get the
>> drive partitioned and formatted but now I was getting the Dell splash
>> screen that stalled for a long time and then asked me to hit F1 to
>> continue or F2 to go to set-up. I changed the settings for the hard
>> drives to auto for SATA secondary drive and primary master and slave
>> drives but they still came up as unknown. Also, the drive, though
>> working, appears to have a slow access time.
>>
>> I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once
>> again it can't be found by the system....sigh.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?
>>
>> with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:
>>
>> SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
>> Primary drive 1 not found
>> the 250GB is accessible
>>
>> with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:
>>
>> SATA secondary drive 0 not found
>> Primary drive 0 not found
>> the 250GB is not accessible
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Joe

> I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
> which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.

No doubt someone with more knowledge will be along soon, but...

Dell generally use CSEL (cable select) for their drives.

If you have your two existing drives showing up as normal on the primary
IDE without the new drive in, try setting up the new drive as CSEL on the
second channel.

There`s (if i`m not mistaken) a specific "order" you need to put newer
drives on an IDE cable, and i`m not sure if this is different with CSEL.
A normal drive set as "master" should go on the connector furthest away
from the motherboard, the "slave" on the "middle" connector.

Are you using a flat 80pin or "rounded" cable ?

You bought the incorrect hard drive. You should have purchased the SATA WD
not the PATA WD.

"me again" <bucket7_99@dontexcite.com> wrote in message
>I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
>which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.
>
> The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so I
> installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the
> motherboard and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the jumper
> set on the first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So I set the
> jumper on the 250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5 possible
> locations. Tried changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but couldn't get
> the system to recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the jumper to the 1st
> position ( ::::| ) and I was able to get the drive partitioned and
> formatted but now I was getting the Dell splash screen that stalled for a
> long time and then asked me to hit F1 to continue or F2 to go to set-up. I
> changed the settings for the hard drives to auto for SATA secondary drive
> and primary master and slave drives but they still came up as unknown.
> Also, the drive, though working, appears to have a slow access time.
>
> I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once
> again it can't be found by the system....sigh.
>
> Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?
>
> with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:
>
> SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
> Primary drive 1 not found
> the 250GB is accessible
>
> with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:
>
> SATA secondary drive 0 not found
> Primary drive 0 not found
> the 250GB is not accessible
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Joe

Yes, but the OP's drives are SATA, not IDE/ATAPI. A whole different ballgame.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:52:12 -0000, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
>> which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.
>
>No doubt someone with more knowledge will be along soon, but...
>
>Dell generally use CSEL (cable select) for their drives.
>
>If you have your two existing drives showing up as normal on the primary
>IDE without the new drive in, try setting up the new drive as CSEL on the
>second channel.
>
>There`s (if i`m not mistaken) a specific "order" you need to put newer
>drives on an IDE cable, and i`m not sure if this is different with CSEL.
>A normal drive set as "master" should go on the connector furthest away
>from the motherboard, the "slave" on the "middle" connector.
>
>Are you using a flat 80pin or "rounded" cable ?
>
>--
>Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
>--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Actually I didn't intentionally mix the drives. I wanted a Western Digital
250GB internal drive so I went to BB and picked one up. I'm not computer
illiterate but I'm not an expert in all things either so I didn't know to
look for SATA vs. EIDE. That's why I frequent these newsgroups. You guys and
gals are really great. Anyway, after I opened the case I discovered the SATA
drive and of course the manual from WD (Pen, I DO RTFM!!) didn't cover this
situation.

I'm going to try some of the suggestions and I'm sure I'll get it going.
But, if I don't I'm going to take it back to BB. I checked their website and
they don't carry an SATA 250GB WD drive. But Circuit City and Fry's both do.

Thanks again for all the help.

Joe

> The jumpers for both drives should be placed where they were originally.
>
> The (blue) SATA interface cable should be connected to the (blue) SATA 0
> connector on the motherboard.
>
> Boot to the system BIOS and press ALT+F to force drive detection at exit.
> Before pressing ESC to exit (and enter to save changes), check the 'boot
> devices' or 'boot order' in the BIOS. Your SATA (original 120gb) drive
> should be higher in the boot order than the IDE disk drive (if the new
> drive shows in the boot order at all). Otherwise, the system may not boot
> to Windows.
>
> I'm not sure why you chose to mix SATA (your original HDD) and IDE (your
> new HDD) interfaces. WSZsr is right. You'd have generally better off by
> buying a 2nd SATA hard disk and simply connected it to the SATA 2 connect
> on the mb....
>

> Stew
>

> "me again" <bucket7_99@dontexcite.com> wrote in message
>>I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd HD
>>which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave drive.
>>
>> The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so I
>> installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the
>> motherboard and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the
>> jumper set on the first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So I
>> set the jumper on the 250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5
>> possible locations. Tried changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but
>> couldn't get the system to recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the jumper
>> to the 1st position ( ::::| ) and I was able to get the drive
>> partitioned and formatted but now I was getting the Dell splash screen
>> that stalled for a long time and then asked me to hit F1 to continue or
>> F2 to go to set-up. I changed the settings for the hard drives to auto
>> for SATA secondary drive and primary master and slave drives but they
>> still came up as unknown. Also, the drive, though working, appears to
>> have a slow access time.
>>
>> I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once
>> again it can't be found by the system....sigh.
>>
>> Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?
>>
>> with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:
>>
>> SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
>> Primary drive 1 not found
>> the 250GB is accessible
>>
>> with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:
>>
>> SATA secondary drive 0 not found
>> Primary drive 0 not found
>> the 250GB is not accessible
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Joe

The 250GB drive uses the ribbon cable. The original drive has the rounded
one. Apparently, my BEST choice would have been another SATA (rounded cable)
drive but I am going to take all the knowledge I have been presented with to
get my EIDE drive up and running correctly. Otherwise I will exchange it for
an SATA drive.

Joe

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd
>> HD
>> which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave
>> drive.
>
> No doubt someone with more knowledge will be along soon, but...
>
> Dell generally use CSEL (cable select) for their drives.
>
> If you have your two existing drives showing up as normal on the primary
> IDE without the new drive in, try setting up the new drive as CSEL on the
> second channel.
>
> There`s (if i`m not mistaken) a specific "order" you need to put newer
> drives on an IDE cable, and i`m not sure if this is different with CSEL.
> A normal drive set as "master" should go on the connector furthest away
> from the motherboard, the "slave" on the "middle" connector.
>
> Are you using a flat 80pin or "rounded" cable ?
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Pen,

Removing the jumper did the trick. Just for my own information I'd like to
ask you if you know why an SATA drive would be better than an EIDE drive? Is
there an outstanding reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks

Joe

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Your 250GBB should be set according to
> the below chart;
> if the only drive on the ribbon cable, no jumper
> if dual drives, if master, 3rd from left(pins 5-6).
> if dual drives, if slave(center connector), 4th from left(pins 3-4).
> or use cable select if the cable is 80 wire, 5th from left (pins 1-2).
> All of this is on the drive. Leave the SATA drive alone.
> Incidentally the first 2 positions are undefined. RTFM.
>
> "Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Here is an install guide for a CD/DVD burner from CNET. It shows a CSEL
>> install I hope this helps.
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-1.html
>> http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/install_xp_disk_mgmt.html
>>

>> "me again" <bucket7_99@dontexcite.com> wrote in message
>>>I have an 8300 that originally came with a 120GB WD HD. Installed a 2nd
>>>HD which is a WD 250GB EIDE drive which I wanted to install as a slave
>>>drive.
>>>
>>> The first drive has a small blue cable instead of the ribbon cable so I
>>> installed the 250GB using the open ribbon cable connector on the
>>> motherboard and the black connector on the cable. The 120GB had the
>>> jumper set on the first position ( :::| ) of 4 possible locations. So I
>>> set the jumper on the 250GB to the second position ( :::|: ) of 5
>>> possible locations. Tried changing the BIOS settings (ver, A04) but
>>> couldn't get the system to recognize the drive. Soooo. I set the jumper
>>> to the 1st position ( ::::| ) and I was able to get the drive
>>> partitioned and formatted but now I was getting the Dell splash screen
>>> that stalled for a long time and then asked me to hit F1 to continue or
>>> F2 to go to set-up. I changed the settings for the hard drives to auto
>>> for SATA secondary drive and primary master and slave drives but they
>>> still came up as unknown. Also, the drive, though working, appears to
>>> have a slow access time.
>>>
>>> I changed to jumper on the 250GB back to the second position and once
>>> again it can't be found by the system....sigh.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what the proper positions should be for each jumper?
>>>
>>> with both jumpers at position 1 I got this message:
>>>
>>> SATA Secondary drive 0 not found
>>> Primary drive 1 not found
>>> the 250GB is accessible
>>>
>>> with the 120GB at pos. 1 and the 250GB at pos. 2 I get this message:
>>>
>>> SATA secondary drive 0 not found
>>> Primary drive 0 not found
>>> the 250GB is not accessible
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>>
>>> Joe

SATA is, in theory, slightly faster than IDE and
is the wave of the future. In practice, at this time,
there is little difference as the SATA drives
are identical to the IDE ones except for the interface.
As time goes by, however, IDE will fade out and SATA
will be the dominant interface. So if your machine
supports SATA, it is probably better to buy SATA drives now
as they will more easily move to a newer machine in the
future.