Failure to close down properly

I have a computer which fails to close down properly.

I get the "Windows logging off" and "Windows shutting down" messages, a
click, the sound of something slowing down (?the hard disk as the CPU fan is
spinning) and then a black screen. The computer has to be switched off
manually.

This is a fresh install of Win XP SP2!

Any ideas please what is happening and how to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Bill, check here