INSPIRON 9300 HELP

My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the 9300
can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When it has a
cpu speed of only 1.7
also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
jeff
5 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 9300 help

    web@hotmail.com wrote:
    > My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
    > inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the 9300
    > can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When it has a
    > cpu speed of only 1.7
    > also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
    > jeff

    Check www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com . I think both have
    published benchmarks for the new Pentium M series - perhaps not the
    1.7Ghz, but you will get the general idea about Pentium M comparitive
    performance.

    A 1.7 G Centrino Pentium M CPU is just like a 3.4 P4 CPU speedwise but it
    doesn't need as much power and it won't heat up your laptop.

    web@hotmail.com wrote:
    > My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
    > inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the 9300
    > can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When it has a
    > cpu speed of only 1.7
    > also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
    > jeff

    Theres no such thing as a Centrino Pentium M Centrino is the combination of
    the Pentium M CPU, the intel chipset and an intel WiFi card although the
    rest of what you said is true

    Fixer wrote:
    > Theres no such thing as a Centrino Pentium M Centrino is the combination of
    > the Pentium M CPU, the intel chipset and an intel WiFi card although the
    > rest of what you said is true

    I'd be hard pressed to compare a Pentium-M 735 or 740 (1.7GHz) to a
    Pentium 4 560 (3.4GHz); I currently own a Dell D610 P-M 760 (2.0GHz 2MB
    L2 cache 533MHz FSB, Sonomoa chipset) and a self built desktop P-4 520
    (2.8GHz 1MB L2 cache 800MHz FSB, 865G chipset) and the speed comparison
    depends largely on what you are doing. For an interesting comparison,
    anandtech ran benchmarks on a P-M blade server (it's in the Linux
    section) and you can see which tasks utilize the additional cache and
    predictive branching and which do not. Although there may be tasks
    which run comparable to a P-4 at twice the clockspeed, I'd argue that's
    the exception and the average multiplier would be closer to 1.5-1.7.

    With that said, I'd say the Inspiron 9xxx series is a decent desktop
    replacement, but personally I don't see much point to notebooks in that
    catagory. My roommate owns a 9200, and it's probably left the house
    twice in the last 6 months because it's so cumbersome. In fact, I don't
    even consider it a LAPtop; honestly if that's on your lap for any period
    of time it'll probably make you sterile (although his is a P-4M, much
    hotter than the P-M). Honestly if you're going between just two
    locations, it may be better to build two comparable desktops (which is
    close to the price of the 9300).

    In the specifications of my laptop, I'm reading of a CPU Intel Centrino
    Pentium M.
    What's the difference between Centrino and Pentium M?

    Fixer wrote:
    > Theres no such thing as a Centrino Pentium M Centrino is the
    > combination of the Pentium M CPU, the intel chipset and an intel WiFi
    > card although the rest of what you said is true

    > "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> A 1.7 G Centrino Pentium M CPU is just like a 3.4 P4 CPU speedwise
    >> but it doesn't need as much power and it won't heat up your laptop.

    >> web@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
    >>> inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the
    >>> 9300 can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When
    >>> it has a cpu speed of only 1.7
    >>> also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
    >>> jeff

Dell CPUs Inspiron Computers Product