INSPIRON 9300 HELP

Web

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the 9300
can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When it has a
cpu speed of only 1.7
also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
jeff

web@hotmail.com wrote:
> My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
> inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the 9300
> can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When it has a
> cpu speed of only 1.7
> also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
> jeff

Check www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com . I think both have
published benchmarks for the new Pentium M series - perhaps not the
1.7Ghz, but you will get the general idea about Pentium M comparitive
performance.

A 1.7 G Centrino Pentium M CPU is just like a 3.4 P4 CPU speedwise but it
doesn't need as much power and it won't heat up your laptop.

web@hotmail.com wrote:
> My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
> inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the 9300
> can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When it has a
> cpu speed of only 1.7
> also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
> jeff

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Theres no such thing as a Centrino Pentium M Centrino is the combination of
the Pentium M CPU, the intel chipset and an intel WiFi card although the
rest of what you said is true

Fixer wrote:
> Theres no such thing as a Centrino Pentium M Centrino is the combination of
> the Pentium M CPU, the intel chipset and an intel WiFi card although the
> rest of what you said is true

I'd be hard pressed to compare a Pentium-M 735 or 740 (1.7GHz) to a
Pentium 4 560 (3.4GHz); I currently own a Dell D610 P-M 760 (2.0GHz 2MB
L2 cache 533MHz FSB, Sonomoa chipset) and a self built desktop P-4 520
(2.8GHz 1MB L2 cache 800MHz FSB, 865G chipset) and the speed comparison
depends largely on what you are doing. For an interesting comparison,
anandtech ran benchmarks on a P-M blade server (it's in the Linux
section) and you can see which tasks utilize the additional cache and
predictive branching and which do not. Although there may be tasks
which run comparable to a P-4 at twice the clockspeed, I'd argue that's
the exception and the average multiplier would be closer to 1.5-1.7.

With that said, I'd say the Inspiron 9xxx series is a decent desktop
replacement, but personally I don't see much point to notebooks in that
catagory. My roommate owns a 9200, and it's probably left the house
twice in the last 6 months because it's so cumbersome. In fact, I don't
even consider it a LAPtop; honestly if that's on your lap for any period
of time it'll probably make you sterile (although his is a P-4M, much
hotter than the P-M). Honestly if you're going between just two
locations, it may be better to build two comparable desktops (which is
close to the price of the 9300).

In the specifications of my laptop, I'm reading of a CPU Intel Centrino
Pentium M.
What's the difference between Centrino and Pentium M?

Fixer wrote:
> Theres no such thing as a Centrino Pentium M Centrino is the
> combination of the Pentium M CPU, the intel chipset and an intel WiFi
> card although the rest of what you said is true

> "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> A 1.7 G Centrino Pentium M CPU is just like a 3.4 P4 CPU speedwise
>> but it doesn't need as much power and it won't heat up your laptop.

>> web@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> My current system is an inspiron 5150,I am interested in the new
>>> inspiron 9300,Can someone tell me [newbi] in simpleTerms how the
>>> 9300 can be advertised As "the ultimate desktop replacement" When
>>> it has a cpu speed of only 1.7
>>> also How does it compare with 5150 cpu speed 3.01
>>> jeff

TRENDING THREADS