The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is Linksys,
and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.

Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
IndyTech at att.net

Thanks,

Jim Peterson
Indy Tech
6 answers Last reply
More about what wireless equipment small business

    "Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.net> wrote in

    > The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
    > Linksys, and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable
    > future.

    All consumer grade wireless equipment is equally as bad.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    "Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.net> wrote in message
    > howdy all,
    >
    > I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
    > with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is a
    bit
    > bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what brand
    of
    > wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
    > you'd avoid.
    >
    > The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
    Linksys,
    > and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
    > IndyTech at att.net
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim Peterson
    > Indy Tech

    Avoid Buffallo for long range, excellent short/medium range (one of the
    fastest you can get). D-Link I'd avoid as their equipment is a nightmare
    (see my Help!! post) getting the right combination, Origo is excellent for
    cheap equipment (ebuyer sell it as their Ebuyer Value range if you are in
    the UK), Link-Sys you already mentioned, again no good for long range and
    quite slow.
    Best all round equipment isn't easy to point to as they all have good and
    bad qualities, but if you are using repeaters etc then I would recommend
    Buffallo.

    I use Proxim Orinoco equipment in an office complex (ap600's, ap2000).
    Will you have a Radius server available for 802.1x authentication?.

    http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/

    From their web site:

    Supporting IEEE 802.11b, g and a standards, Proxim's ORiNOCO Access Points
    are the most flexible, fully secure and reliable wireless LANs. Whether
    you're adding wireless mobility to extend your existing corporate network,
    or creating a free-standing wireless network for a small or branch office,
    Proxim offers an enterprise-class ORiNOCO Access Point that's ideal for your
    application. With Wi-Fi Protected Access and rogue AP detection
    capabilities, ORiNOCO Access Points meet the stringent security requirements
    of the enterprise. And easy migration paths ensure you meet the growing
    number of users, emerging standards and converged data/voice/video traffic
    of tomorrow.

    "Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.net> wrote in message
    > howdy all,
    >
    > I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
    > with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is a
    bit
    > bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what brand
    of
    > wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
    > you'd avoid.
    >
    > The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
    Linksys,
    > and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
    > IndyTech at att.net
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim Peterson
    > Indy Tech

    > howdy all,
    >
    > I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
    > with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is a bit
    > bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what brand of
    > wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
    > you'd avoid.
    >
    > The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is Linksys,
    > and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
    > IndyTech at att.net

    I would be more concern with security when choosing equipment and is the
    support here in the US . SMC has been good to me. Stay away from
    netgear. How are the warehouse , shipping employee going to communicate
    with the office . what platform are they going to use palm vs window ce
    or laptops ? I agree with aaron on the use of authentication or
    wireless vpn . Also , adding a firewall would be advisable.

    Drew Cutter wrote:
    >> howdy all,
    >>
    >> I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
    >> with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is
    >> a bit
    >> bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what
    >> brand of
    >> wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
    >> you'd avoid.
    >>
    >> The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
    >> Linksys,
    >> and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
    >>
    >> Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
    >> IndyTech at att.net
    >

    > I would be more concern with security when choosing equipment and is the
    > support here in the US . SMC has been good to me. Stay away from
    > netgear. How are the warehouse , shipping employee going to communicate

    Big amen to "stay away from netgear" due to support.

    > with the office . what platform are they going to use palm vs window ce
    > or laptops ? I agree with aaron on the use of authentication or
    > wireless vpn . Also , adding a firewall would be advisable.

    Thanks to all who offered brand information. My conclusions, based on
    online research, boil down to the following:

    1) Use Linksys!
    2) Avoid Linksys!
    3) Use Netgear!
    4) Avoid Netgear!
    5) Use D-Link!
    6) Avoid D-Link!
    7) Repeat ad nauseam

    I am proposing the setup to a client tomorrow, and it boils down to me
    offering 2 options: first, the option that fits their stated budget
    (using consumer brand products), or secondly, the option I think will
    give them reliable service (using premium equipment like Orinoco or
    Cisco). I have drafted 2 proposals, with a comment about reliability,
    so I will let them make their own choices based on the info provided.

    Again, I appreciate the time taken to give answers. May you all have
    0% packet errors and impenetrable wireless security. ;)

    Jim Peterson
    Indy Tech

Wireless Wireless Network Internet Wireless Networking