What wireless equipment to add to small business

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 7, 2004 9:42:30 PM

howdy all,

I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is a bit
bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what brand of
wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
you'd avoid.

The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is Linksys,
and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.

Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
IndyTech at att.net

Thanks,

Jim Peterson
Indy Tech
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 7, 2004 9:48:45 PM

"Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.net> wrote in
news:a4Xcc.51846$l71.6549@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

> The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
> Linksys, and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable
> future.

All consumer grade wireless equipment is equally as bad.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)
a b F Wireless

"Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.net> wrote in message
> howdy all,
>
> I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
> with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is a
bit
> bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what brand
of
> wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
> you'd avoid.
>
> The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
Linksys,
> and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
>
> Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
> IndyTech at att.net
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim Peterson
> Indy Tech

Avoid Buffallo for long range, excellent short/medium range (one of the
fastest you can get). D-Link I'd avoid as their equipment is a nightmare
(see my Help!! post) getting the right combination, Origo is excellent for
cheap equipment (ebuyer sell it as their Ebuyer Value range if you are in
the UK), Link-Sys you already mentioned, again no good for long range and
quite slow.
Best all round equipment isn't easy to point to as they all have good and
bad qualities, but if you are using repeaters etc then I would recommend
Buffallo.
Related resources
April 8, 2004 1:41:34 AM

I use Proxim Orinoco equipment in an office complex (ap600's, ap2000).
Will you have a Radius server available for 802.1x authentication?.

http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/ap/

From their web site:

Supporting IEEE 802.11b, g and a standards, Proxim's ORiNOCO Access Points
are the most flexible, fully secure and reliable wireless LANs. Whether
you're adding wireless mobility to extend your existing corporate network,
or creating a free-standing wireless network for a small or branch office,
Proxim offers an enterprise-class ORiNOCO Access Point that's ideal for your
application. With Wi-Fi Protected Access and rogue AP detection
capabilities, ORiNOCO Access Points meet the stringent security requirements
of the enterprise. And easy migration paths ensure you meet the growing
number of users, emerging standards and converged data/voice/video traffic
of tomorrow.

"Indy Tech" <IndyTech@att.net> wrote in message
> howdy all,
>
> I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
> with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is a
bit
> bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what brand
of
> wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
> you'd avoid.
>
> The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
Linksys,
> and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
>
> Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
> IndyTech at att.net
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim Peterson
> Indy Tech

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 2:19:34 AM

> howdy all,
>
> I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
> with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is a bit
> bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what brand of
> wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
> you'd avoid.
>
> The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is Linksys,
> and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
>
> Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
> IndyTech at att.net

I would be more concern with security when choosing equipment and is the
support here in the US . SMC has been good to me. Stay away from
netgear. How are the warehouse , shipping employee going to communicate
with the office . what platform are they going to use palm vs window ce
or laptops ? I agree with aaron on the use of authentication or
wireless vpn . Also , adding a firewall would be advisable.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 4:27:11 AM

Drew Cutter wrote:
>> howdy all,
>>
>> I'm putting together some quotes to add a wireless network to a business
>> with a couple of warehouses in which they need access. The project is
>> a bit
>> bigger than most I've done. I wanted to ask for some input on what
>> brand of
>> wireless equipment you'd recommend for small business use, or what brand
>> you'd avoid.
>>
>> The only bad experience I've had with wireless equipment so far is
>> Linksys,
>> and I won't be using their products in the foreseeable future.
>>
>> Any advice is appreciated. You can hit me here or via e-mail through
>> IndyTech at att.net
>

> I would be more concern with security when choosing equipment and is the
> support here in the US . SMC has been good to me. Stay away from
> netgear. How are the warehouse , shipping employee going to communicate

Big amen to "stay away from netgear" due to support.

> with the office . what platform are they going to use palm vs window ce
> or laptops ? I agree with aaron on the use of authentication or
> wireless vpn . Also , adding a firewall would be advisable.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 7:35:38 PM

Thanks to all who offered brand information. My conclusions, based on
online research, boil down to the following:

1) Use Linksys!
2) Avoid Linksys!
3) Use Netgear!
4) Avoid Netgear!
5) Use D-Link!
6) Avoid D-Link!
7) Repeat ad nauseam

I am proposing the setup to a client tomorrow, and it boils down to me
offering 2 options: first, the option that fits their stated budget
(using consumer brand products), or secondly, the option I think will
give them reliable service (using premium equipment like Orinoco or
Cisco). I have drafted 2 proposals, with a comment about reliability,
so I will let them make their own choices based on the info provided.

Again, I appreciate the time taken to give answers. May you all have
0% packet errors and impenetrable wireless security. ;)

Jim Peterson
Indy Tech
!