Registry Restore

May 21, 2005 5:17:01 PM

I was following Symantec's website instructions to remove Systemworks from my
XP Pro SP2 machine by deleting files and registry entries. Before doing this
I exported the registry using regedit export. Now my PC is not working
correctly. I tried to resore the backup, but I get a message that some keys
could not be written because they are in use. I tried this from safe mode
also with same result. With that not working, I tried to do a system restore,
but that applet will not run. The same thing happens in safe mode. How can I
get my registry restored or run system restore???

More about : registry restore

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:39:02 PM

Restart in last known good configuration and try again.

petecee

"BobE" wrote:

> I was following Symantec's website instructions to remove Systemworks from my
> XP Pro SP2 machine by deleting files and registry entries. Before doing this
> I exported the registry using regedit export. Now my PC is not working
> correctly. I tried to resore the backup, but I get a message that some keys
> could not be written because they are in use. I tried this from safe mode
> also with same result. With that not working, I tried to do a system restore,
> but that applet will not run. The same thing happens in safe mode. How can I
> get my registry restored or run system restore???

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:01:03 PM

I have tried that, but no difference.

The files in my System32/config folder are dated last night when I gave up.
Is there a way I can move the data from my backup.reg file into these hives
to restore???

"petecee" wrote:

> Restart in last known good configuration and try again.
>
> petecee
>
> "BobE" wrote:
>
> > I was following Symantec's website instructions to remove Systemworks from my
> > XP Pro SP2 machine by deleting files and registry entries. Before doing this
> > I exported the registry using regedit export. Now my PC is not working
> > correctly. I tried to resore the backup, but I get a message that some keys
> > could not be written because they are in use. I tried this from safe mode
> > also with same result. With that not working, I tried to do a system restore,
> > but that applet will not run. The same thing happens in safe mode. How can I
> > get my registry restored or run system restore???

May 21, 2005 6:32:08 PM

Here you go Bob,

How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756

Much easier to follow the link than me type it all in.

petecee

"BobE" wrote:

> I have tried that, but no difference.
>
> The files in my System32/config folder are dated last night when I gave up.
> Is there a way I can move the data from my backup.reg file into these hives
> to restore???
>
> "petecee" wrote:
>
> > Restart in last known good configuration and try again.
> >
> > petecee
> >
> > "BobE" wrote:
> >
> > > I was following Symantec's website instructions to remove Systemworks from my
> > > XP Pro SP2 machine by deleting files and registry entries. Before doing this
> > > I exported the registry using regedit export. Now my PC is not working
> > > correctly. I tried to resore the backup, but I get a message that some keys
> > > could not be written because they are in use. I tried this from safe mode
> > > also with same result. With that not working, I tried to do a system restore,
> > > but that applet will not run. The same thing happens in safe mode. How can I
> > > get my registry restored or run system restore???
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 6:52:01 PM

Looking back, I should have used the system backup applet, but I didn't and
all I have is a backup.reg file. I tried importing the .reg file, but as I
said above, I always got a message saying that some keys did not get written
because they were in use. I have retried neumerous times with the same
result.

"petecee" wrote:

> Here you go Bob,
>
> How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
> Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756
>
> Much easier to follow the link than me type it all in.
>
> petecee
>
> "BobE" wrote:
>
> > I have tried that, but no difference.
> >
> > The files in my System32/config folder are dated last night when I gave up.
> > Is there a way I can move the data from my backup.reg file into these hives
> > to restore???
> >
> > "petecee" wrote:
> >
> > > Restart in last known good configuration and try again.
> > >
> > > petecee

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:22:01 PM

You should be able to pick up a system restore point from a couple of days
ago and start the repair process again.

petecee

"BobE" wrote:

> Looking back, I should have used the system backup applet, but I didn't and
> all I have is a backup.reg file. I tried importing the .reg file, but as I
> said above, I always got a message saying that some keys did not get written
> because they were in use. I have retried neumerous times with the same
> result.
>
> "petecee" wrote:
>
> > Here you go Bob,
> >
> > How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
> > Server 2003
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756
> >
> > Much easier to follow the link than me type it all in.
> >
> > petecee
> >
> > "BobE" wrote:
> >
> > > I have tried that, but no difference.
> > >
> > > The files in my System32/config folder are dated last night when I gave up.
> > > Is there a way I can move the data from my backup.reg file into these hives
> > > to restore???

Anonymous
May 21, 2005 7:49:01 PM

Like I said in the original post, I tried that, but the system restore applet
will not run. Looking at the system information folder now, there is only
one restore point which was after the changes were made. I am hoping if I
can get the registry backup restored, I will have my restore points back to
get back to where I was prior.

"petecee" wrote:

> You should be able to pick up a system restore point from a couple of days
> ago and start the repair process again.
>
> petecee
>
> "BobE" wrote:
>
> > Looking back, I should have used the system backup applet, but I didn't and
> > all I have is a backup.reg file. I tried importing the .reg file, but as I
> > said above, I always got a message saying that some keys did not get written
> > because they were in use. I have retried neumerous times with the same
> > result.
> >
> > "petecee" wrote:
> >
> > > Here you go Bob,
> > >
> > > How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows
> > > Server 2003
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756
> > >
> > > Much easier to follow the link than me type it all in.
> > >
> > > petecee

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:34:14 AM

Hi BobE,

If System Restore and Last known good don't work, then the next step
would be a repair install.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

BobE wrote:
> I have tried that, but no difference.
>
> The files in my System32/config folder are dated last
> night when I gave up. Is there a way I can move the data
> from my backup.reg file into these hives to restore???
>
> "petecee" wrote:
>
>> Restart in last known good configuration and try again.
>>
>> petecee
>>
>> "BobE" wrote:
>>
>>> I was following Symantec's website instructions to
>>> remove Systemworks from my XP Pro SP2 machine by
>>> deleting files and registry entries. Before doing this
>>> I exported the registry using regedit export. Now my PC
>>> is not working correctly. I tried to resore the backup,
>>> but I get a message that some keys could not be written
>>> because they are in use. I tried this from safe mode
>>> also with same result. With that not working, I tried
>>> to do a system restore, but that applet will not run.
>>> The same thing happens in safe mode. How can I get my
>>> registry restored or run system restore???
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:38:33 AM

Hi BobE,

Restore points are not stored in the registry. So restoring the
registry will not get them back.
Where are the System Restore files located on the drive:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#SRFileLocation

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
the page below along with any other error message generated by System
Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

--

BobE wrote:
> Like I said in the original post, I tried that, but the
> system restore applet will not run. Looking at the
> system information folder now, there is only one restore
> point which was after the changes were made. I am hoping
> if I can get the registry backup restored, I will have my
> restore points back to get back to where I was prior.
>
> "petecee" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to pick up a system restore point
>> from a couple of days ago and start the repair process
>> again.
>>
>> petecee
>>
>> "BobE" wrote:
>>
>>> Looking back, I should have used the system backup
>>> applet, but I didn't and all I have is a backup.reg
>>> file. I tried importing the .reg file, but as I said
>>> above, I always got a message saying that some keys did
>>> not get written because they were in use. I have
>>> retried neumerous times with the same result.

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 10:56:01 PM

Thanks for the help. I ended up running the repair install, and after a
little reinstalling of drivers and programs, I am back in business. Now I
know the right way to back up the registry for next time.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi BobE,
>
> If System Restore and Last known good don't work, then the next step
> would be a repair install.
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> BobE wrote:
> > I have tried that, but no difference.
> >
> > The files in my System32/config folder are dated last
> > night when I gave up. Is there a way I can move the data
> > from my backup.reg file into these hives to restore???
> >
> > "petecee" wrote:
> >
> >> Restart in last known good configuration and try again.
> >>
> >> petecee

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:25:40 PM

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

You should also create a restore point before tinkering!

--

!