enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Please help me! My computer won't work. I <changed something
|installed something|deleted something> on the advice of <a
friend|someone on an IRC channel|some guy in the pub> and I
<couldn't access the Internet|could open any files|some
other vaguely described symptom>.

I then <made some random change|altered the
registry|installed some dubious program> and <it still
didn't work|something else went wrong|I get a blue screen>

So I <did something else|reinstalled windows|deleted files
at random> and it was still not fixed! On the advice of <a
friend|someone on an IRC channel|some guy in the pub> I
<cursed the computer|paid a friend who is "in computers" to
look at it|fiddled with more stuff I don't understand>. Now
<I can't login|the computer bleeps at me|the cat left home>.

Please help me! I don't have a backup and <the novel I am
writing|my thesis|a cure for cancer|all my kids pictures>
are on there.

Cheers,

Cliff

Huh?

"Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
| Please help me! My computer won't work. I <changed something
||installed something|deleted something> on the advice of <a
| friend|someone on an IRC channel|some guy in the pub> and I
| <couldn't access the Internet|could open any files|some
| other vaguely described symptom>.
|
| I then <made some random change|altered the
| registry|installed some dubious program> and <it still
| didn't work|something else went wrong|I get a blue screen>
|
| So I <did something else|reinstalled windows|deleted files
| at random> and it was still not fixed! On the advice of <a
| friend|someone on an IRC channel|some guy in the pub> I
| <cursed the computer|paid a friend who is "in computers" to
| look at it|fiddled with more stuff I don't understand>. Now
| <I can't login|the computer bleeps at me|the cat left home>.
|
| Please help me! I don't have a backup and <the novel I am
| writing|my thesis|a cure for cancer|all my kids pictures>
| are on there.
|
| http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
|
| Cheers,
|
| Cliff
|
| --
|
| Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

"Enkidu" <enkidu.com@com.cliffp.com> wrote in message
> Please help me! My computer won't work. I <changed something |installed
> something|deleted something> on the advice of <a friend|someone on an IRC
> channel|some guy in the pub> and I <couldn't access the Internet|could
> open any files|some other vaguely described symptom>.
>
> I then <made some random change|altered the registry|installed some
> dubious program> and <it still didn't work|something else went wrong|I get
> a blue screen>
>
> So I <did something else|reinstalled windows|deleted files at random> and
> it was still not fixed! On the advice of <a friend|someone on an IRC
> channel|some guy in the pub> I <cursed the computer|paid a friend who is
> "in computers" to look at it|fiddled with more stuff I don't understand>.
> Now <I can't login|the computer bleeps at me|the cat left home>.
>
> Please help me! I don't have a backup and <the novel I am writing|my
> thesis|a cure for cancer|all my kids pictures> are on there.

> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com

Very funny|humorous|satirical. You should get the spelling right :)

Kerry

Tarzan of the Apes - http://www.tarzan.org/barsoom.html

Enkidu wrote:
> Please help me! My computer won't work. I <changed something |installed
> something|deleted something> on the advice of <a friend|someone on an
> IRC channel|some guy in the pub> and I <couldn't access the
> Internet|could open any files|some other vaguely described symptom>.
>
> I then <made some random change|altered the registry|installed some
> dubious program> and <it still didn't work|something else went wrong|I
> get a blue screen>
>
> So I <did something else|reinstalled windows|deleted files at random>
> and it was still not fixed! On the advice of <a friend|someone on an IRC
> channel|some guy in the pub> I <cursed the computer|paid a friend who is
> "in computers" to look at it|fiddled with more stuff I don't
> understand>. Now <I can't login|the computer bleeps at me|the cat left
> home>.
>
> Please help me! I don't have a backup and <the novel I am writing|my
> thesis|a cure for cancer|all my kids pictures> are on there.

> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

You forgot to hint at the theoretical existence of the vague
possibility of there having been an error message of some sort, at some
time during the above process.

;-}

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

First|why are/youwriting>likethis|
Second, if you really want someone to help, ditch the mini novel, and post
some real information that can be used to help. Whatever has been done in
the past is now water under the bridge...but the 'blue screen error, the
error code & message would have been very helpful in narrowing down the
cause of your pc problem.. If you are unable to post that, or recall what
you changed|installed|deleted|on the advice of a friend|someone on an IRC
channel|some guy in the pub...then you should at least start making a hand
written copy of your writings...

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=sarcasms

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

why don't you click on your own link. was your remark necessary? no, not
really, but you posted it anyway.

> The Symantec Antivirus has a problem so stupid that hopefully caused
> someone at Symantec to lose their job. During the uninstall process
> (which was being done on in my case because their antivirus scan failed
> to scan and I needed to reinstall this POS), the uninstaller asked for
> the "uninstall password". What the hell is an "uninstall password"?
>
> After looking around on the web I discovered that the uninstall
> password is "symantec". If there's any justice in this world that
> sadistic Symantec developer is standing in the pouring rain along the
> road with a "will work for food" sign at this very moment.

> Bruce Chambers replies..with sarcasm....

And if you had bothered to read the documentation before installing the
product, you'd have known the default password, as well.