Can XP handle two mice on separate channels?

I have developed a case of tennis elbow from using an arm-motion mouse (a
wireless optical mouse) and have switched to a thumb-motion (wireless)
trackball. The trackball causes no pain, but I cannot get the fine control
needed for precise graphics work. I would like to be able to switch easily
and quickly between the two devices. Is it possible to (1) connect one to
the PS/2 port and the other to a USB port, (2) set them to operate on
separate channels, (3) set them individually to different sensitivities,
and finally (4) have them each control the same cursor?

Thanks.

Hi Norman,

I have done this in the past and it worked fine, but not with two
wireless mice. The only way to know is to try it out. If it doesn't
work, try one wired and one wireless.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Norman Swartz wrote:
> I have developed a case of tennis elbow from using an
> arm-motion mouse (a wireless optical mouse) and have
> switched to a thumb-motion (wireless) trackball. The
> trackball causes no pain, but I cannot get the fine
> control needed for precise graphics work. I would like
> to be able to switch easily and quickly between the two
> devices. Is it possible to (1) connect one to the PS/2
> port and the other to a USB port, (2) set them to operate
> on separate channels, (3) set them individually to
> different sensitivities, and finally (4) have them each
> control the same cursor?
>
> Thanks.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Xns965DAB39AF1Eswartzsfuca@64.59.144.76,
Norman Swartz <swartz@sfu.ca> had this to say:

> I have developed a case of tennis elbow from using an arm-motion
> mouse (a wireless optical mouse) and have switched to a thumb-motion
> (wireless) trackball. The trackball causes no pain, but I cannot get
> the fine control needed for precise graphics work. I would like to
> be able to switch easily and quickly between the two devices. Is it
> possible to (1) connect one to the PS/2 port and the other to a USB
> port, (2) set them to operate on separate channels, (3) set them
> individually to different sensitivities, and finally (4) have them
> each control the same cursor?
>
> Thanks.

1) Yes, I do so on a laptop often.
2) That will be done automatically.
3) I don't think that you can have separate settings for them though. Maybe
if you used hardware profiles but that's way too complex.
4) Yes, they will. The second mouse doesn't add a second cursor.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes