Chaintech NVIDIA 6600GT

chrwel

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
Hi guys,

I am having some trouble with my Chaintech 6600gt PCIE card. I have installed it on a Intel Augsburg D915GAG motherboard. When i boot up the computer the graphics gets corrupted sometimes directly sometimes after up to 5 minutes, which is followed by a lost signal to the display or computer hangs and has to be hard booted. The card seem to be running fine up to then.

Somebody suggested that I might have a power issue, I am running my computer on a 300W PSU, I dont know if this is enough. Does anybody know the minimum requirement of the 6600GT? I am running a standard config of 1HD 1 DVD 1 CD and a P4 3.0.

Thanks for the help guys

Christian W

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
It may very well be your psu. If its a no name than chances are that's the problem. You could also have a bum card. Did you try a fresh install of windows (or at least clean out the old drivers)?

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

chrwel

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
The thing is that I first got an Aopen 6600gt, which worked for a good 12 hours, then said "low power" and broke down (wouldnt restart in a mode where the graphic wasnt corrupt). And now the Chaintech card too, maybe I just had alot of bad luck and got two bad cards....or maybe the 300W is the trouble maker... why cant life be easy? All I want to do is to run my new card and be happy... :)

I did remove all the old drivers and disabled the built in Intel crap card. The problem also happens in safe mode, which should eliminate a driver issue right?

Thanks for your help

Christian

Is the 300W power supply a quality Power Supply?

Think about it like this, the R9700/9800 series and GF5800/5900 series needed quality PSUs and 350W was recommended, the GF6600GT has similar power characteristics, so you have to consider a quality PSU as a must.

You might also want to check your MOBO power monitoring features and see what your readings and settings are.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 10/27/04 07:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Well after the first card told you that it had low power you should have believed that. Get yourself a good 400W or 450W, I personally use Antec TruePower in my systems.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
You failed to mention that low power part in your original post. You need a new PSU.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

What about flipping the switch on the back of the PSU from 110V to 220V, that's more power right!?! :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

chrwel

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
I dont know about the quality of the PSU, its a gateway computer from bestbuy (420GR) so I expect it to be crap though. Right now (without the card) power ratings are as follows 3.3V at 3.395V at 5.13 12V at 12.25 dont know if that tells you guys anything about the PSU?

I thought low power would show it self in another way then corrupt graphics after a random time (0-5 minutes), which is why I didnt buy the low power warning the first time (more specific like not running the card at all or similar).

Anyway will look into the truepower PSU and see if that solves my problems.

Thanks for your help guys

Christian

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Gateway uses fairly good power supplies (often better than Antec), but I doubt that particular model was enough for your new system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I believe I seen a $5000 gateway high-end model in pc gaming world or one of those magazines with a massive 250 watt powersupply in it. the magazine was commenting on the "supreme" power supply themselves, like they even needed to.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, if they can power a high end system on 250W, it must be a good 250W unit.

As for Antec, they make these cheaper models without the fancy name, just a model number, and I've put them up against Gateway OEM power supplies only to find the Gateway models of lower rating provided better output under load.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
110V would work just fine, he just has to run wires directly from the wall power outlet to the vid card.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

chrwel

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
Bought a new PSU, a Antec truepower 430W, hopefully this will solve my problems when I get my 6600gt back.

The PSu in the gateway comp, was a hipro 300W, anybody know this brand?

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Hipro?....never heard of it...for sure is an off brand. Go to http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html\

Thath's Toms hardware review of power suplies which is an eye opener for those who buy cheap power suplies...

A cheap PS that says 300 W most often will have half that power.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen them in OEM systems, I think they're probably Morex units underneath, but not sure. Many of the cheap OEM's are good designs with cheap capacitors, made to last only the length of the warranty (but maintain stability throughout that period).

Fairly sure they're lower quality than Gateway's older Newton and Power Tronic supplies, which were good enough to beat Antec's standard units.