wordpad text overwrite

I type and it overwrites what I had there before. This occurs sometimes. I
obviously am doing something intermittingly which causes this, and I can't
fathom what. Likely this is very simple, but I'm frustrated by not finding a
clue in various help paths, so far. This path is a likely a winner.
Also, when I try to condense a singular/plural concept into one word,
specifically xxxx(s), the (s) turns into an ?emoticon.. a space eliminates
the effect, viz. xxxx (s). Any comments would be appreciated.
--
Regards, bill1017

If you hit the "Insert" key, most word processors will toggle between
overwrite and insert.
Just tap the key again and you will be back to inserting text in the message
instead of overwriting.
Of course the "Insert" key is right next to the "delete" key and it is easy
to tap it without meaning to.

"bill1017" <bill1017@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I type and it overwrites what I had there before. This occurs sometimes. I
> obviously am doing something intermittingly which causes this, and I can't
> fathom what. Likely this is very simple, but I'm frustrated by not
> finding a
> clue in various help paths, so far. This path is a likely a winner.
> Also, when I try to condense a singular/plural concept into one word,
> specifically xxxx(s), the (s) turns into an ?emoticon.. a space
> eliminates
> the effect, viz. xxxx (s). Any comments would be appreciated.
> --
> Regards, bill1017

Thank you Richard Goh, yes, insert key(s) toggle, problem eliminated. I note
that Microsoft did an automatic update overnight which required a restart,
which microsoft did, and the restart apparently reset the overwrite mode to
zero (off)(if that makes sense). I guess I was getting out of the overwrite
state, when it existed, by unassociated restarts for whatever reason.
Concerning the "emoticon?", a crescent moon, that doesn't occur in
wordpad, rather it is the email writer/editor in MSN.. separate "problem."
--
Regards, bill1017