wordpad text overwrite

I type and it overwrites what I had there before. This occurs sometimes. I
obviously am doing something intermittingly which causes this, and I can't
fathom what. Likely this is very simple, but I'm frustrated by not finding a
clue in various help paths, so far. This path is a likely a winner.
Also, when I try to condense a singular/plural concept into one word,
specifically xxxx(s), the (s) turns into an ?emoticon.. a space eliminates
the effect, viz. xxxx (s). Any comments would be appreciated.
--
Regards, bill1017
2 answers Last reply

    If you hit the "Insert" key, most word processors will toggle between
    overwrite and insert.
    Just tap the key again and you will be back to inserting text in the message
    instead of overwriting.
    Of course the "Insert" key is right next to the "delete" key and it is easy
    to tap it without meaning to.

    "bill1017" <bill1017@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I type and it overwrites what I had there before. This occurs sometimes. I
    > obviously am doing something intermittingly which causes this, and I can't
    > fathom what. Likely this is very simple, but I'm frustrated by not
    > finding a
    > clue in various help paths, so far. This path is a likely a winner.
    > Also, when I try to condense a singular/plural concept into one word,
    > specifically xxxx(s), the (s) turns into an ?emoticon.. a space
    > eliminates
    > the effect, viz. xxxx (s). Any comments would be appreciated.
    > --
    > Regards, bill1017

    Thank you Richard Goh, yes, insert key(s) toggle, problem eliminated. I note
    that Microsoft did an automatic update overnight which required a restart,
    which microsoft did, and the restart apparently reset the overwrite mode to
    zero (off)(if that makes sense). I guess I was getting out of the overwrite
    state, when it existed, by unassociated restarts for whatever reason.
    Concerning the "emoticon?", a crescent moon, that doesn't occur in
    wordpad, rather it is the email writer/editor in MSN.. separate "problem."
    --
    Regards, bill1017

    "Richard Goh" wrote:

    > If you hit the "Insert" key, most word processors will toggle between
    > overwrite and insert.
    > Just tap the key again and you will be back to inserting text in the message
    > instead of overwriting.
    > Of course the "Insert" key is right next to the "delete" key and it is easy
    > to tap it without meaning to.
    >
    > "bill1017" <bill1017@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I type and it overwrites what I had there before. This occurs sometimes. I
    > > obviously am doing something intermittingly which causes this, and I can't
    > > fathom what. Likely this is very simple, but I'm frustrated by not
    > > finding a
    > > clue in various help paths, so far. This path is a likely a winner.
    > > Also, when I try to condense a singular/plural concept into one word,
    > > specifically xxxx(s), the (s) turns into an ?emoticon.. a space
    > > eliminates
    > > the effect, viz. xxxx (s). Any comments would be appreciated.
    > > --
    > > Regards, bill1017

Support Microsoft Windows XP