June 4th Orlando Super Auction - Partial Results

Well, it was an interesting auction. Heavy periodic rain kept a few
people away I'd imagine. As expected, game turnout was a bit low.
Nothing too exciting, a lot of your usual suspects. Lots of 25inch
cabinets, conversions etc. The number of Ms Pacs and Galagas were
rather low, as were the Multicades. Typically you see well over a dozen
of these things, but there were only 5 or 6.
But if you wanted a Star Gate there were several, although not all of
them worked. Nice condition cabs though. Also a nice Kangaroo with some
issues went for like $75. Alas Kangaroo, nobody loves you.

On the interesting front there were a few older games including a
Gunfight in really nice shape and a few EMs that actually appeared to
work which is rather odd as usually if you get an EM its a water logged
box with a pile of parts at the bottom where everything rotted out.

Anyway, prices were rediculous. If you need a 25inch jamma cabinet,
well.. you can now get one for less than $200 if the last few auctions
have been an indication. What was amazing was the sit downs were going
for nothing as well. 2 pair of SF Rushs (1 normal, 1 rush the rock)
couldn't get more than $700 despite being in pretty solid shape. A
Daytona Twin for $150 sans PCBs, but still (and that actually sold).
But before you get excited, this pretty much meant that the auction
word of the day was 'Buyback'. Just interesting they didn't go any
higher.

Speaking of buybacks, there was one interesting scenerio. A friend of
mine really wants 'Cowboys of Moo Mesa' some obscure Konami 4 player
game. Now, the game is rare and the PCB is worth $200+. However, its
one of those situations where its only worth money if somebody wants
it, and I'm pretty sure my friend is the only one that cares. So they
have one in a rather unattractive generic conversion 4 Player 25inch
Konami cabinet. He bids for it as does this other guy who probably just
wants the cabinet. Gets in the $200s and someguy drops out. So the
owner then starts bidding up my friend. OK, typical stuff he wants more
than $250 for it, no complaints. Gets to $300, still only owner and my
friend so its a game of 'how much do you want for it?'. The guy gets to
like $310 then starts asking for $10 incriments. Friend bites once even
though this is kinda cheap. Guy outbids him again, by $10. What, are we
eventually going to be going by nickels? So my friend tells him to
stick it. I understand buybacks, that's fine. But what's this nickel
and dime stuff? Also another point of interest was the weird bidding
war for the stand up after burner. guy who won it then proceeds to
stick it on his large flatbed so it can get soaked along with some
other misc. conversions, etc. I guess its worth $460, but not worth
keeping dry.

Bad conversion of the auction: Star Tetris. Star Wars with tetris
controls somehow bolted to where the yoke should be. Plastic shroud
left intact.

Anyway, Here's some prices from the June 4th Orlando Super Auction. I
only got the first row and a half. I wasn't actually paying attention
for most of it, so I'm not sure what worked, etc. A good number of
these were buybacks.

Wayne Gretsky Hockey $250
Mortal Kombat II $300
Mortal Kombat [Xybots Conversion!] $160
Neo Geo 4 Slot Marquee $150
Golden Tee 2005 Pass
Big Buck Hunter $975
Tekken 3 $200
Super Basketball $35
Neo Geo 19inch $125
Klax $35
Revolution X 2-Gun $400
Street Fighter 2 $200
Time Killers $100
After Burner Stand Up $460
Pole Position II $225
Gauntlet Dark Legacy $200
Multicade 4 Game $850
Silkworm $25
Vendetta $50
Mortal Kombat II Conversion $150
Gunforce $55
Tekken 3 $200
Soul Edge $460
Power Instinct $60
Neo Geo 2 Slot Marquee $100
Capcom Bowling $75
Neo Geo 2 Slot Marquee $185
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 [White Picture] $385
Multicade $950
Ajax $75
Splatterhouse $75
War! Dedicated $400
Super Suports $120
Double Wings $100
Beach Head 2k Stand Up $1100
High Impact $50
Golden Tee 2005 $1160
PGA Tour $1800
Neo Geo 4 Slot w/Extra Carts $475
Golden Tee 2004 $825
Two Tigers [Tron Cabinet] $50
Rastan $50
Crazy Kong [Dedicated!] $225
Galaga [Conversion] $450
Galaga $550
Multicade $975
Blasteroids $125
Ms Pac-man $428
Multicade $750
Galaga Cabaret $375
Ms Pac Man $475
Ms Pac Man $410
Ms Pac Man Cocktail $400
SF3 Cocktail $375
Space Invaders Cocktail $350
Multicade Cocktail $350

Be sure to check out the Village : http://www.villagebbs.com;
One of central florida's oldest online message boards [since 1992!]

= numsix

Thanks for the prices and recap! IIRC the two Stargates went for under
$200 each, one was dead and the other was a conversion. Both were prime
for restoration. A lotta fight-shoot-drive JAMMA junk as usual, but the
prices were commensurate.

Before the auction you found a group of us gathered behind a dedicated
Mr. Do! conversion. With our hats on our hearts we paid final respects
to a dedicated Do! monitor plexi someone screwed in as a backdoor.
Through it you could clearly see the power supply that was worth much,
much less. It was surreal in a sad sort of way.

Exidy brought some old PONG clones and maybe the Gunfight? There were
also a couple of periscope games I remember playing back in the day. I
teamed up with Todd K. and we bought a Tron converted to Cal .50. I
commented that I'da pay $50 just for the board, he'da payed $50 for the
back doors and monitor, so.... it worked out! Todd with his sharp
auctioneer B.S. filter caught the game at $50 and we split the cost.
Later we took the poor cab out back and four of us commenced to
disassembly. Todd's friends ended up one with the cab, the other with
an audio amp, Todd with the backdoor and monitor, and I hauled a
complete Cal .50 kit. I was happy!

A couple of other observations. I couldn't help but notice how NICE the
auctioneer staff was. Now granted I haven't been to a SA in a while. I
remember a few years ago they were downright nasty! This time around I
heard not a peep about folks playing the machines after preview,
nothing about pictures, or kids out of hand, nothing negative. Heck at
one point they were throwing out stuffed toys into the crowd! I guess
the market downturn has them more cautious of the buyers these days.

I noticed the damn nickel-and-dime bidding too. Took like furevur to
get through stuff. That and the auctioneers were up to their usual
tricks. "$1000, $500, $400, $300, $200, $100, now $125, $125, $125, I'm
at $125, yada yada.... $12fiiiiiiiiiive....... who'll give me $25? $25,
now $50..."

Bastards.

- Craig