I get BSOD when installing XP Pro 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit operating systems

gramps98

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Hello,

I have successfully upgraded 5 or 6 Dell Dimension 5150s from Vista Business 32-bit to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I'm working on 1 now though that kept giving me the BSOD at the point where the 4 color images are supposed to appear during the install process. On a whim, I tried to install XP Pro 32-bit and it works. The error seems to point to memory or a piece of bad hardware. I've completely changed memory modules several times and installed various combinations. There really isn't any added hardware. I swapped out the DVD drive and even installed the local HD into another PC, formatted it and loaded Windows 7 64-bit on it. Any ideas?

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Gramps98,

Does this computer support 64-bit architecture? If so, are you attempting to install on a CLEAN drive? Please note, you cannot upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit or downgrade 64-bit to 32-bit based on architectural differences.

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

gramps98

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Thanks for the response Jessica. According to the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, 64-bit should be ok. Besides, I have already upgraded 5 or 6 systems of the exact same model/configuration with no problem. Also, these have all been clean installs.

I am going to do a side-by-side comparison with one of the other machines today. Maybe there is a slight difference in processor or BIOS or something, though these machines were purchased at the same time and supposedly all configured the same. I'll post whatever information I find. Thanks again for the response.

Alvin

gramps98

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I have not resolved this issue. However, after many hours of comparing the machine side-by-side with several identical units and trying many different things, I have concluded that this machine just will not run a 64-Bit operating system. It accepted and is running XP Pro 32-bit just fine. I'll just leave it at that...for now.

TRENDING THREADS