Bitmap image disappears as wallpaper

Hello fellow members, :-)

I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I am NOT connected to any network.
I am NOT a computer expert!!

Bitmap (.bmp) files do not reappear as wallpaper on my desktop when I turn
on my computer. Bitmap files do appear on the desktop when I select them
every time, no problem. But they do not REAPPEAR as wallpaper when I NEXT
turn on my computer. WHY IS THIS?

One solution that works is when I open the Bitmap file in a photo editing
program and save the file as a JPEG (.jpg) file. This is bloody annoying!!

1. What is causing this problem to happen?

2. How can I get Bitmap (.bmp) files to reappear as wallpaper on my desktop
when I next turn on my computer, without having to save them as a JPEG (.jpg)
file?

Thank you for your help!!

Cheers, Techno Phobe.
3 answers Last reply
More about bitmap image disappears wallpaper

    I would try first saving the BMP to the %windir% folder. (go to start/run, type: %windir%)

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Techno Phobe" <TechnoPhobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0942AFE6-68A8-4D5F-8771-C12C690BA1CA@microsoft.com...
    > Hello fellow members, :-)
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I am NOT connected to any network.
    > I am NOT a computer expert!!
    >
    > Bitmap (.bmp) files do not reappear as wallpaper on my desktop when I turn
    > on my computer. Bitmap files do appear on the desktop when I select them
    > every time, no problem. But they do not REAPPEAR as wallpaper when I NEXT
    > turn on my computer. WHY IS THIS?
    >
    > One solution that works is when I open the Bitmap file in a photo editing
    > program and save the file as a JPEG (.jpg) file. This is bloody annoying!!
    >
    > 1. What is causing this problem to happen?
    >
    > 2. How can I get Bitmap (.bmp) files to reappear as wallpaper on my desktop
    > when I next turn on my computer, without having to save them as a JPEG (.jpg)
    > file?
    >
    > Thank you for your help!!
    >
    > Cheers, Techno Phobe.

    Thank you for your help Mark. :-)

    Shouldn't I be able to save BMP files to the "My Pictures" folder, select it
    as wallpaper and still expect to see it as wallpaper when I next turn on my
    computer? I mean I thought thats how it was supposed to work on a Windows
    operating suystem with any picture file. Why should BMP images be any
    different?

    Are you having the same problem when choosing BMP images as wallpaper on
    your computer?
    Is this a Windows problem or is it a clitch on my computer??

    Thank you again Mark for answering my post and trying to help me!!

    Cheers, Techno Phobe :-)

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > I would try first saving the BMP to the %windir% folder. (go to start/run, type: %windir%)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Techno Phobe" <TechnoPhobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0942AFE6-68A8-4D5F-8771-C12C690BA1CA@microsoft.com...
    > > Hello fellow members, :-)
    > >
    > > I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I am NOT connected to any network.
    > > I am NOT a computer expert!!
    > >
    > > Bitmap (.bmp) files do not reappear as wallpaper on my desktop when I turn
    > > on my computer. Bitmap files do appear on the desktop when I select them
    > > every time, no problem. But they do not REAPPEAR as wallpaper when I NEXT
    > > turn on my computer. WHY IS THIS?
    > >
    > > One solution that works is when I open the Bitmap file in a photo editing
    > > program and save the file as a JPEG (.jpg) file. This is bloody annoying!!
    > >
    > > 1. What is causing this problem to happen?
    > >
    > > 2. How can I get Bitmap (.bmp) files to reappear as wallpaper on my desktop
    > > when I next turn on my computer, without having to save them as a JPEG (.jpg)
    > > file?
    > >
    > > Thank you for your help!!
    > >
    > > Cheers, Techno Phobe.

    The fact that it does work from the %windir% would imply that it is some 'profile' damage. You might try making a new one.

    811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151

    --

    "Techno Phobe" <TechnoPhobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4F4FF7E-B0C3-42B9-8DE0-1A14906619D3@microsoft.com...
    > Thank you for your help Mark. :-)
    >
    > Shouldn't I be able to save BMP files to the "My Pictures" folder, select it
    > as wallpaper and still expect to see it as wallpaper when I next turn on my
    > computer? I mean I thought thats how it was supposed to work on a Windows
    > operating suystem with any picture file. Why should BMP images be any
    > different?
    >
    > Are you having the same problem when choosing BMP images as wallpaper on
    > your computer?
    > Is this a Windows problem or is it a clitch on my computer??
    >
    > Thank you again Mark for answering my post and trying to help me!!
    >
    > Cheers, Techno Phobe :-)
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> I would try first saving the BMP to the %windir% folder. (go to start/run, type: %windir%)
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    >> ..
    >> "Techno Phobe" <TechnoPhobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello fellow members, :-)
    >> >
    >> > I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I am NOT connected to any network.
    >> > I am NOT a computer expert!!
    >> >
    >> > Bitmap (.bmp) files do not reappear as wallpaper on my desktop when I turn
    >> > on my computer. Bitmap files do appear on the desktop when I select them
    >> > every time, no problem. But they do not REAPPEAR as wallpaper when I NEXT
    >> > turn on my computer. WHY IS THIS?
    >> >
    >> > One solution that works is when I open the Bitmap file in a photo editing
    >> > program and save the file as a JPEG (.jpg) file. This is bloody annoying!!
    >> >
    >> > 1. What is causing this problem to happen?
    >> >
    >> > 2. How can I get Bitmap (.bmp) files to reappear as wallpaper on my desktop
    >> > when I next turn on my computer, without having to save them as a JPEG (.jpg)
    >> > file?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you for your help!!
    >> >
    >> > Cheers, Techno Phobe.

Desktops Wallpaper Computers Windows XP