Can I use an 8x agp card in a 4x agp motherboard?

ramses1982

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2004
My 4x agp card got fried and I have to buy a new one but I'm not sure if I should get a 4x or 8x card. Will an 8x card run in a 4x slot? If so, will it run slower?

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
NO it will not run :tongue:

wait wait, was just kiddin :wink:
It will run fine. Wow I bet 4-5 people have asked the same qestion in the last week. It will run quite the same as an 8x speed, theoritical bandwidths of 8x is higher but practically 4x and 8x are similar. You can find a lot of threads abt this in the 1st few pages of this forum. FGI ([-peep-] Google It) :wink:

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
As long as the AGP card supports 4x as well as 8x then it should. Cannot think of any 8x cards that does not do both 4x and 8x. Just may wanna check with your mobo manufacter for bios updates just to make sure there is not conflicts.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually it depends on the motherboard, whether it supports the voltage required.
You're an idiot. Definately. All AGP4x boards support 1.5v signals (that is, all, not most, not all but 1, all). All AGP8x cards support 1.5v signals (that's all, not most, not all but 1, all). So that leads us to this conclusion: All AGP8x boards support AGP4x cards that run within spec, but more importantly, ALL AGP4X BOARDS SUPPORT ALL AGP8X CARDS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Thats a bunch of bull wrt todays cards. Crash is right.
All AGP 8x (AGP 3.0) spec cards will work at 4x (AGP 2.0) spec. If they dont they went against Intel's specification, and that manufacturer should die.

Intel whitepaper specs say it clearly
AGP 3.0 - 0.8/1.5 V
AGP 2.0 - 1.5/3.3 V

Now if that 1.5V is missing from AGP 2.0 mobo, then that manufacturer went against specs.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/01/04 11:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheWatchman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2004
Well I can tell you for a fact that my Leadtek WinFast A400 TDH 6800 would not work at all in an AGP 4x motherboard I had. I *believe* it was P4SX533 Asus board.

Regardless of whatever manufacturer went against specs, it DOES happen and the card working or not DOES depend on the voltage capabilities the motherboard has.

Edit: motherboard model was P4S533X<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheWatchman on 11/01/04 01:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
When was the last time a manufacturer produced a motherboard with an AGP 2.0 slot? I would surmise that it's been quite a while since they did away with it. Let's face it- if you have a system that is fairly old (3-4 years or more), there will always be more risk of incompatibility with newer hardware.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
well, if the manufacturere at that time made a AGP 2.0 board with correct specs. then todays card with agp 3.0 spec will WORK there.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
well i cannot say anything abt stuff that dont conform with specs.
When Intel/IBM take specs out, they are meant to be followed. Thats y countrys like china will be in deep [-peep-] if they went their own way w.r.t standards (as they were planning)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The last time any manufacturer made a motherboard with an AGP2.0 slot? Today. All current boards support AGP2.0. Most support both 3.0 and 2.0. Getting back to the original question however, when's the last time anyone made an AGP4x compatable card? Tody. All current AGP cards support AGP2.0/4x. Most of today's cards support both AGP3.0 and 2.0.

So 2.0 is the standard they all (both cards and boards) fall back on when 3.0 is not available.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your problem, Watchman, is that you're listening to people who know less than me. Nearly anyone can contribute an article on the net. So seeing it in an article doesn't make it accurate.

You see, I also write technical articles. Would you like me to write one, so I can link you to it? LMAO!

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
ok i rest my case

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, I take back what I said about you being an idiot, it's obvious now that you were simply misinformed. My original comment assumed you came up with that idea yourself, which should have been a safe assumption because bad information shouldn't be comming from official looking sources.