Help - How do I get rid of this file?

In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System Volume Information'
directory is infected with a Trojan Horse virus, and the access to the file
is denied.

Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter in the
'System Volume directory', to delete the infected file. All I can do
is turn off the 'System Restore'.

Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the 'System Volume
Information'
directory?

Appreciate all the help.

P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus. Both are active in
my
Laptop.
5 answers Last reply
More about help file

    Hi Okie,

    Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
    Us the following article to gain access to the SVI folder and delete
    it.
    How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&sd=RMVP

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Okie Noah wrote:
    > In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System
    > Volume Information' directory is infected with a Trojan
    > Horse virus, and the access to the file is denied.
    >
    > Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter
    > in the 'System Volume directory', to delete the infected
    > file. All I can do is turn off the 'System Restore'.
    >
    > Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the
    > 'System Volume Information'
    > directory?
    >
    > Appreciate all the help.
    >
    > P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus. Both are
    > active in my
    > Laptop.

    I was able to enter the 'System Volume Information' folder.
    I found a log file in the folder. Seems like AVG or Norton
    must have removed the virus. Either that or the virus itself
    has moved to another location. Anyhow, I am re-scanning
    the whole Laptop again. Thank you so much. Appreciate
    your help.

    O Noah

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message news:OWHb5QpXFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | Hi Okie,
    |
    | Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
    | Us the following article to gain access to the SVI folder and delete
    | it.
    | How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
    | http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&sd=RMVP
    |
    | --
    | Regards,
    | Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    | http://dts-l.org/
    |
    | Okie Noah wrote:
    | > In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System
    | > Volume Information' directory is infected with a Trojan
    | > Horse virus, and the access to the file is denied.
    | >
    | > Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter
    | > in the 'System Volume directory', to delete the infected
    | > file. All I can do is turn off the 'System Restore'.
    | >
    | > Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the
    | > 'System Volume Information'
    | > directory?
    | >
    | > Appreciate all the help.
    | >
    | > P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus. Both are
    | > active in my
    | > Laptop.

    A virus scan should be able to remove any virus now.
    Keep us posted.

    --

    O Noah wrote:
    > I was able to enter the 'System Volume Information' folder.
    > I found a log file in the folder. Seems like AVG or Norton
    > must have removed the virus. Either that or the virus itself
    > has moved to another location. Anyhow, I am re-scanning
    > the whole Laptop again. Thank you so much. Appreciate
    > your help.
    >
    > O Noah
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> Hi Okie,
    >>
    >> Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
    >> Us the following article to gain access to the SVI
    >> folder and delete it.
    >> How to gain access to the System Volume Information
    >> folder
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&sd=RMVP
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> Okie Noah wrote:
    >>> In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System
    >>> Volume Information' directory is infected with a Trojan
    >>> Horse virus, and the access to the file is denied.
    >>>
    >>> Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter
    >>> in the 'System Volume directory', to delete the infected
    >>> file. All I can do is turn off the 'System Restore'.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the
    >>> 'System Volume Information' directory?
    >>>
    >>> Appreciate all the help.
    >>>
    >>> P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus.
    >>> Both are active in my Laptop.

    .. My Laptop is behaving OK now and both AVG and
    Norton AntiVirus didn't find any more of the Trojan Horse
    viruses. Thanks.

    >A virus scan should be able to remove any virus now.
    > Keep us posted.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > O Noah wrote:
    >> I was able to enter the 'System Volume Information' folder.
    >> I found a log file in the folder. Seems like AVG or Norton
    >> must have removed the virus. Either that or the virus itself
    >> has moved to another location. Anyhow, I am re-scanning
    >> the whole Laptop again. Thank you so much. Appreciate
    >> your help.
    >>
    >> O Noah
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >>> Hi Okie,
    >>>
    >>> Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
    >>> Us the following article to gain access to the SVI
    >>> folder and delete it.
    >>> How to gain access to the System Volume Information
    >>> folder
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&sd=RMVP
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

    You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

    --

    O Noah wrote:
    > . My Laptop is behaving OK now and both AVG and
    > Norton AntiVirus didn't find any more of the Trojan Horse
    > viruses. Thanks.
    >
    > O Noah
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> A virus scan should be able to remove any virus now.
    >> Keep us posted.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> O Noah wrote:
    >>> I was able to enter the 'System Volume Information'
    >>> folder. I found a log file in the folder. Seems like
    >>> AVG or Norton must have removed the virus. Either that
    >>> or the virus itself has moved to another location. Anyhow, I am
    >>> re-scanning the whole Laptop again. Thank you so much.
    >>> Appreciate your help.
    >>>
    >>> O Noah
    >>>
    >>> "Bert Kinney" wrote

Laptops Antivirus Windows XP