Help - How do I get rid of this file?

a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 4:39:26 AM

In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System Volume Information'
directory is infected with a Trojan Horse virus, and the access to the file
is denied.

Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter in the
'System Volume directory', to delete the infected file. All I can do
is turn off the 'System Restore'.

Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the 'System Volume
Information'
directory?

Appreciate all the help.

P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus. Both are active in
my
Laptop.

More about : rid file

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 6:05:14 AM

Hi Okie,

Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
Us the following article to gain access to the SVI folder and delete
it.
How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&s...

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Okie Noah wrote:
> In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System
> Volume Information' directory is infected with a Trojan
> Horse virus, and the access to the file is denied.
>
> Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter
> in the 'System Volume directory', to delete the infected
> file. All I can do is turn off the 'System Restore'.
>
> Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the
> 'System Volume Information'
> directory?
>
> Appreciate all the help.
>
> P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus. Both are
> active in my
> Laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 6:05:59 AM

I was able to enter the 'System Volume Information' folder.
I found a log file in the folder. Seems like AVG or Norton
must have removed the virus. Either that or the virus itself
has moved to another location. Anyhow, I am re-scanning
the whole Laptop again. Thank you so much. Appreciate
your help.

O Noah

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message news:o WHb5QpXFHA.3528@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| Hi Okie,
|
| Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
| Us the following article to gain access to the SVI folder and delete
| it.
| How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
| http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&s...
|
| --
| Regards,
| Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
| http://dts-l.org/
|
| Okie Noah wrote:
| > In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System
| > Volume Information' directory is infected with a Trojan
| > Horse virus, and the access to the file is denied.
| >
| > Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter
| > in the 'System Volume directory', to delete the infected
| > file. All I can do is turn off the 'System Restore'.
| >
| > Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the
| > 'System Volume Information'
| > directory?
| >
| > Appreciate all the help.
| >
| > P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus. Both are
| > active in my
| > Laptop.

a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 3:54:30 PM

A virus scan should be able to remove any virus now.
Keep us posted.

--

O Noah wrote:
> I was able to enter the 'System Volume Information' folder.
> I found a log file in the folder. Seems like AVG or Norton
> must have removed the virus. Either that or the virus itself
> has moved to another location. Anyhow, I am re-scanning
> the whole Laptop again. Thank you so much. Appreciate
> your help.
>
> O Noah
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi Okie,
>>
>> Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
>> Us the following article to gain access to the SVI
>> folder and delete it.
>> How to gain access to the System Volume Information
>> folder
>> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&s...
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Okie Noah wrote:
>>> In my Laptop, Norton AntiVirus says, that the 'C:\System
>>> Volume Information' directory is infected with a Trojan
>>> Horse virus, and the access to the file is denied.
>>>
>>> Since my Laptop drive is formated in NTFS, I cannot enter
>>> in the 'System Volume directory', to delete the infected
>>> file. All I can do is turn off the 'System Restore'.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to kill the Trojan Horse virus in the
>>> 'System Volume Information' directory?
>>>
>>> Appreciate all the help.
>>>
>>> P.S. I am running Norton AntiVirus and AVG AntiVirus.
>>> Both are active in my Laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 9:48:05 PM

.. My Laptop is behaving OK now and both AVG and
Norton AntiVirus didn't find any more of the Trojan Horse
viruses. Thanks.

>A virus scan should be able to remove any virus now.
> Keep us posted.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> O Noah wrote:
>> I was able to enter the 'System Volume Information' folder.
>> I found a log file in the folder. Seems like AVG or Norton
>> must have removed the virus. Either that or the virus itself
>> has moved to another location. Anyhow, I am re-scanning
>> the whole Laptop again. Thank you so much. Appreciate
>> your help.
>>
>> O Noah
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>>> Hi Okie,
>>>
>>> Disable System Restore on all drives/partitions.
>>> Us the following article to gain access to the SVI
>>> folder and delete it.
>>> How to gain access to the System Volume Information
>>> folder
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=309531&s...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2005 8:29:06 PM

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

--

!