Sign in with
Your question

6800 lockups - I've tried everything...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2004 12:36:25 PM

I've got a new system I built myself, w/ a 2nd hand processor. (2.4 GHz P4)
512 MB RAM
P4S800 Asus motherboard
Leadtek A400 TDH (Nvidia 6800)
400w power supply

Its a new install of windows xp home edition (service pack 2)
I can't stop it from locking up in games!
I have done all the latest drivers, BIOS, motherboard drivers/bios upgrades (yes i use driver cleaner), I've done everything I could think of. At this point I believe the motherboard is not quite compatible with the video card. Motherboard has AGP 8x but does not support FW which comes up when I do a diagnostic with Riva Tuner. I've tried both old and new Nvidia drivers. Right now I'm using the latest beta driver (70.41)

I've tried reducing to AGP 4x. I've tried disabling FastWrites. I've tried reducing resolution and details in games even though it runs smoothly and looks great prior to lockups. Lowering video settings just delays the inevitable lockup (games do tend to last longer before lockups but it still eventually happens).

Any pointers? Is there a known issue w/ these motherboards and 6800 video card compatibility?

When it locks up sometimes sound will keep going. Sometimes it will auto-reboot and the Windows Error Message complains about video card problem (thread stuck in device driver).

Is this indicative of a heat issue? I've had temperature monitor on but I can't see it when it locks up. On reboot temp is fine.

Locks up in Warcraft III Frozen throne! Not a demanding game. Has happened in other 3d games as well.

More about : 6800 lockups

October 29, 2004 2:22:44 PM

Could I provide any further information that would help diagnose? Lemme know! I'm at work right now but I can get more info when I'm at home.

Thanks!
October 29, 2004 10:28:24 PM

What's the brand of your Power supply?
Related resources
October 29, 2004 10:33:04 PM

My suggestion is while it may not be your driver the 66.81 is more stable than the 70 series you're using now. Like someone else asked what brand of power supply?
October 29, 2004 11:01:42 PM

If your 6800 uses a power connector on the top of the card, make sure its a dedicated line to the power supply (nothing in between).

On some cheaper PSUs, that 400W is way overrated. If you dont know the brand, look on the sticker and see if it gives a +5V and +3.3V max output. It wont be anywhere near 400W.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
October 29, 2004 11:02:05 PM

Nights question again.
Also chk ur windows event log.
Control P>Admin tools>event viewer.
Hope XP Home has it.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
October 29, 2004 11:11:44 PM

May wanna roll back to earlier drivers. These newer drivers have been causing a lot hell in the market and they arent even digitally certified by Microshaft.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
October 29, 2004 11:13:52 PM

Another thing could install MBM5 and montior you voltage rails for any unexceptable variances and temps.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
October 29, 2004 11:17:16 PM

Oh yeah another thing is to downclock the agp card. If it is stable at downclocked speeds then it could be a faulty card or bad mobo/psu.

Another is to check the agp voltage in the bios to be correct with the card. Could up it .1v but not a damn bit more for those cards burn hot enough as is.

November 1, 2004 4:38:19 PM

After trying everything under the sun, I determined it was the motherboard.

P4S800 Asus board. SiS 648 chipset was the culprit. Plus its just a badly designed board. Google it, lots of ticked ppl.

Exchanged my motherboard for the VIA chipset Asus board.

Everything working fine now.

P.S.: my PSU is a "Pro-King" 400W (company in Shanghai - never heard of them). I got the case 2nd hand. System is working fine now using same PSU with new motherboard.
November 1, 2004 5:58:07 PM

I actually had a similar problem with a MSI board based on the 645DX chipset and R9600XT. DOOM3 was the worst for lockups. Changed to an Abit board, no more problems.

Crappy SiS Chipsets. :mad: 

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:
November 1, 2004 6:07:37 PM

That will work too. When it comes with P4 rigs, try to stay with the intell chipsets or maybe via. Everything else is poor quality.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2004 10:39:41 PM

I am Sorry but i may be WRONG, But this might not be a hardware issue i have seen this problem reorted to software helpdesk many times before at microsoft. I Helped with the development of Service Pack 2.

This could be your Problem : Service Pack 2

How to Stop lockups during games PRESS ctrl + alt + del

You will get windows task manager.

(service pack 2 sets all program Prioritys to normal even if intensive programs are launched. this on some system hardware configurations causes a OS instable moment basically causes your PC to crash, freeze or lock up, showing ERRORS with GFX cards and memory dumps during 3d applications, sumtimes applications will carry on working but with small amounts of freezing during gameplay)

In Task manager, go to Processes, right click on the .exe of the program goto Prioritys and set to high. this cures a lot of problems.

This is known issue with service pack 2 if you have noticed a dip in benchmark scores do this task it can help.

I hope this sorts your or over peoples problems.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2004 2:09:36 AM

Quote:
Exchanged my motherboard for the VIA chipset Asus board.

I take back what I said about you not being an idiot. Asus has a horrible reputation for cheap boards. SiS makes better chipsets than VIA, if there was a problem, it was an Asus problem. Yet you bought another Asus board with another crap chipset. Congrats, you win the prize.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2004 2:12:18 AM

When it comes to cheap P4 rigs, just stay away from Asus. SiS makes better chipsets than VIA and sometimes even better than Intel. The SiS 645 chipset was superior to the i845. Asus just makes crappy boards in that price range, better to stick with Gigabyte.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 3, 2004 3:25:36 AM

Damn why coulnt I think of that earlier! Making that post and vacationing in Vegas does that I guess. I like that conclusion better. ASUS is good to you if you paid the premium but if you went cheap then you get the inverse and them being a douche to RMA the product.

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2004 3:46:04 AM

I wonder how many MEW-AM boards they made for HP?

November 3, 2004 4:09:39 AM

Wasnt enough since HP is still in business ;-)

November 3, 2004 6:11:45 PM

No need to be a jackass Crashman.

The store I bought it from had no other boards to exchange it for and he wouldn't give me my money back. RMA takes too long.
!