Portable Laptop For Light Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vtvman

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
1. What is your budget?
-$900

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-14 inches, anything with a number pad is too big

3. What screen resolution do you want?
-As high as possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
-Portable. Im looking for laptops between the range of an ultrabook and a full sized laptop. I think theyre called ultra portable laptops but the term is used pretty loosely.

5. How much battery life do you need?
6+ hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
-I play mostly Team Fortress 2 and Diablo 3 so neither are very graphically intensive. The current laptop I use plays these on low so anything above that is good.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
-General school work and gaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
-300gb is all I would need so more than that is fine. I would prefer a mechanical hard drive with an ssd boot drive or an ssd only setup if the price allows.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-Amazon and Newegg are my top choices but any website that ships in the U.S. is fine

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
-2-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
-Most of the laptops in this category do not offer an optical drive but if it does come with one, it does not need to be bluray

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-Dont have much experience here but I heard Acer is horrible

13. What country do you live in?
-United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Ive been researching laptops for a while and found two laptops so far that have caught my eye:
-Asus U36SG 13.3 inch
-Acer Timeline Ultra M5 14 inch

I really like the looks of the Asus and it has great hardware for the price. Asus has never let me down and theyre generally known to be one of the better brands. However, the laptop is a little on the smaller side with its 13.3 inch screen and I read that the boot time of its mechanical only hard drive can be upwards of a minute. Seeing that im in college I will always need to turn the computer on and off when im going from one place to another so this is the only thing im truly worried about. I could put in an ssd of my choice for around $150 but that brings the laptop close to $1000 which im sure opens up a new segment of laptops that hopefully you guys can help me out with. A few people have also reported heat issues which may be a problem for prolonged gaming.

The acer fits my criteria better than the asus but i cannot get over the fact that it is an acer. I have read many reviews on different websites of acer laptops dying and having to be repaired at the owners expense because their customer service is horrible. But besides build quality, it has an ssd boot drive as well as my preferred 14 inch screen and a graphics card.

Pretty confused here :( could use some guidance!

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
Since you are looking for light gaming and general school work I would suggest the u36sg since it is rated at great battery life with the Asus super hybrid engine and it has a 1Gb dedicated 610m. The 610m is at the bottom of the entry level graphics cards but it is better than the HD3000 which is what I found in most of the variants of the timeline. Also most of the timelines have ULV processors which would also hinder even light gaming.

Vtvman

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Thanks I'm really considering that hp. Have you ever handled one in black? If the black laptop had a non glossy body then I would be all over that. I hope it's the aluminum type finish like on the dv6.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

Given your budget and the fact that you would prefer something more portable I would suggest going for the HP. You would be getting more performance for the money where as with the Asus in the original post it is more about longevity away from an outlet. Given your needs of the computer I would also suggest passing on the mssd. Just because you have room in the budget doesn't always mean you need to spend it all and that feature is something you can add later for cheaper if you end up feeling like you can't live without it.

Vtvman

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I didn't, but there are people over the net that have, so google it

I have googled it but I guess I've been using the wron keywords as I can't seem to find a picture of one in black. If you know of a picture i would really like to see it. Thanks.

Vtvman

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Don't shop by brand because just about every brand you have seen is made by someone else. The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP
Clevo / Sager sells to Falconnorthwest, WidowPC, (Alienware Pre-dell) and toher "boutique" brands

You can have the last ones custom built to your specs. Problem is gaming and long battery life are mutually exclusive; yu'll want a model with Optimus technology so it can switch back and forth as needed.

(Base price is $842 before customization and discounts):

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np6165-features.html

15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080)
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 with Optimus® Technology + Embedded Intel HD Graphics
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
500GB Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM Hybrid SSD / HD 500GB
8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Fingerprint Reader
FREE UPS Ground Shipping!
Built-In 2.0M Pixel Digital Video Camera
Built-In Gigabit Ethernet LAN Card
Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader(MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/SD/Mini-SD/SDHC/SDXC)
2 USB 3.0 Ports
1 USB 2.0 Ports
1 eSATA Port (USB 3.0 Combo)
1 HDMI 1.4a Output
1 CRT Out Port
1 Kensington Lock Port
Built-in Microphone and 2 Speakers
3 Audio Jacks for Line-Out, Microphone-In, and S/PDIF-Out
1 100/240V Autoswitch AC Power Adapter
Battery Life: 4-5 Hours
Weight: 6.83 lbs.

Status