DCOM Error freezes my WinXP Pro SP2. Help!

I am using WinXP Professional SP 2. I experience this thing quite regularly.
I am working on my machine and suddenly find that it has freezed completely.
The only solution to this problem is hitting the 'Reset' button and
re-starting the PC.

I went to 'Manage' and found this piece of error there:

"The server {51FA2736-5DEE-11D4-98E8-006008BF430C} did not register with
DCOM within the required timeout.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp"

I tried visiting that link but it's not working. Can anyone tell me how to
resolve this issue? Is there some setting that I can change or has some file
or a DLL been corrupted?

Thanks in advance :))

Regards,

Bhooshan

Windows employs a component-based system to help programmers manage
Windows' complexity. This system is called COM for "Component Object
Model." Much of Windows itself, and many Windows programs, are
assembled from individual COM components. Microsoft thought it would be
"cool" if these COM components could find and use each other from
different machines across a network, so Distributed COM (DCOM) was
created to allow this. DCOM uses an existing networking protocol known
as Remote Procedure Call (RPC), usually over Internet port 135, to host
COM's distributed operation across a network. The problem is that this
very powerful DCOM system, which allows pieces of your computer to be
remotely activated and used from across a network -- even by any
stranger across the Internet -- is always enabled in Windows systems by
default. Microsoft's most recent DCOM patch, which fixes another (not
the first) remotely exploitable vulnerability in this complex system,
continues to defiantly leave the whole DCOM system exposed and enabled
. . and waiting for the next vulnerability to be discovered. Just
turn it off. No Internet applications use or require DCOM. Some Windows
applications support it, but those that do neither use nor require it.
As with so many of Windows' easily avoided security vulnerabilities,
Microsoft should never have chosen to enable DCOM by default, and they
certainly should have had their most recent patch turn it off after the
MSBlast worm event. But instead, all Windows systems are still running
DCOM and waiting for the next disaster.

--
guestfromhell
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490

Maybe start by going to Services and making sure 'Help & Support' is not
disabled.

"Bhooshan" <Bhooshan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using WinXP Professional SP 2. I experience this thing quite
>regularly.
> I am working on my machine and suddenly find that it has freezed
> completely.
> The only solution to this problem is hitting the 'Reset' button and
> re-starting the PC.
>
> I went to 'Manage' and found this piece of error there:
>
> "The server {51FA2736-5DEE-11D4-98E8-006008BF430C} did not register with
> DCOM within the required timeout.

> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp"
>
> I tried visiting that link but it's not working. Can anyone tell me how to
> resolve this issue? Is there some setting that I can change or has some
> file
> or a DLL been corrupted?
>
> Thanks in advance :))
>
> Regards,
>
> Bhooshan

Thanks for the reply GfH. That was truly a knowledge builder. :))

I would like a solution. Say for instance, how do I turn this damn thing
off!!. Because, my machine suddenly freezes when I am working and I am sure I
am not going to allow anyone to access my comp for any reason.

Do let me know about the same.

Regards,

Bhooshan

"guestfromhell" wrote:

> Windows employs a component-based system to help programmers manage
> Windows' complexity. This system is called COM for "Component Object
> Model." Much of Windows itself, and many Windows programs, are
> assembled from individual COM components. Microsoft thought it would be
> "cool" if these COM components could find and use each other from
> different machines across a network, so Distributed COM (DCOM) was
> created to allow this. DCOM uses an existing networking protocol known
> as Remote Procedure Call (RPC), usually over Internet port 135, to host
> COM's distributed operation across a network. The problem is that this
> very powerful DCOM system, which allows pieces of your computer to be
> remotely activated and used from across a network -- even by any
> stranger across the Internet -- is always enabled in Windows systems by
> default. Microsoft's most recent DCOM patch, which fixes another (not
> the first) remotely exploitable vulnerability in this complex system,
> continues to defiantly leave the whole DCOM system exposed and enabled
> . . . and waiting for the next vulnerability to be discovered. Just
> turn it off. No Internet applications use or require DCOM. Some Windows
> applications support it, but those that do neither use nor require it.
> As with so many of Windows' easily avoided security vulnerabilities,
> Microsoft should never have chosen to enable DCOM by default, and they
> certainly should have had their most recent patch turn it off after the
> MSBlast worm event. But instead, all Windows systems are still running
> DCOM and waiting for the next disaster.
>

> --
> guestfromhell
> guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819074249

Any ideas on how I should disable the DCOM service from my PC?

In message <guestfromhell.1pftix@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com>,
guestfromhell <guestfromhell.1pftix@no-mx.forums.iamnotageek.com> writes

>Windows employs a component-based system to help programmers manage
>Windows' complexity. This system is called COM for "Component Object
>Model." Much of Windows itself, and many Windows programs, are
>assembled from individual COM components. Microsoft thought it would be
>"cool" if these COM components could find and use each other from
different machines across a network, so Distributed COM (DCOM) was
created to allow this. DCOM uses an existing networking protocol known
as Remote Procedure Call (RPC), usually over Internet port 135, to host
COM's distributed operation across a network. The problem is that this
very powerful DCOM system, which allows pieces of your computer to be
remotely activated and used from across a network -- even by any
stranger across the Internet -- is always enabled in Windows systems by
default. Microsoft's most recent DCOM patch, which fixes another (not
the first) remotely exploitable vulnerability in this complex system,
continues to defiantly leave the whole DCOM system exposed and enabled
.. . . and waiting for the next vulnerability to be discovered. Just
turn it off.

How do I turn it off? In Services perhaps?

--
gillie

GfH has hit the nail on the head! Here's a tip - Go to the best there is and
don't risk making a mistake. There is actually a man who watches out for "the
rest of us" (non-gurus), makes it sosimple, quick and painless that it
boggles the mind... and he givesit to us for FREE. Steve Gibson. Lord and
master in my book. DCOMbobulator is thename of his tiny yet effective fix
for DCOM. Here's the url to his freeware page.
http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm
I recomend reading anything he has to say & all his programs, especially
spinrite (the only non-freeware, but a mans gotta eat, no?) Good luck
amazonsister