Sign in with
Your question

user catalog s and new install of XP

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 2, 2003 10:59:12 AM

Hi, I hope somebody here can help me with a problem I got.
I have a job I need don, a friends computer died one day it was thunder and lightning. I have now rebuilt his computer, had to change everything except the hard drives, and the problem is this:
He need the documents in the user catalog, and I have tried to put the disk in any other computyer with windows XP on and I find ther disk, but I am not allowed access to his old user catalog. I have tried to reinstall windows on a new cataolg on his disk and the same thing happens. also tried to just boot the computer with the old OS and then I just get a bluescreen telling me that windows will be stopped tp prevent damage on the computer.

Anybody here who has encountered that problem before?
it would have been really easy to just format and reinstall but since he Need the documents I have to find a way to extracts those files.

So basicly I just need to get access to his user folder and then everything is fine.

All tips are appreciated.

More about : user catalog install

August 2, 2003 3:51:23 PM

Quote:
I have tried to put the disk in any other computyer with windows XP on and I find ther disk, but I am not allowed access to his old user catalog

Have you tried to change permission to <b>Full control</b> so you can access it?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Anonymous
August 3, 2003 2:44:52 PM

Presuming the old O/S was XP, do you have an XP CD-ROM?

With both HDDs in place, use the XP cd-rom to boot into the recovery console.

If you have the dead disk as the primary disk, you should hopefully be able to log into the disk as the local administrator for that disk, locate the files on the disk (the admin privelleges giving you access) using the command prompt, and copy them to the other local disk (your secondary HDD).

Try it anyway.
Related resources
!