warnings comes up every time window starts.

The warning saids in the title bare, can't run 16-bit programs.
And the body of the warning saids, not enough memery to run this program,
quit one are more programs. I want to stop the warnings from coming up every
time window starts up. I have windows xp home editon.
2 answers Last reply
More about warnings time window starts

    Hi,

    What is the full text of the error message?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "victheman" <victheman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The warning saids in the title bare, can't run 16-bit programs.
    > And the body of the warning saids, not enough memery to run this program,
    > quit one are more programs. I want to stop the warnings from coming up
    > every
    > time window starts up. I have windows xp home editon.

    Vic,

    As Rick says, post back with more details. And if it turns out that you need to run a DOS program, you'll have other things to check.

    From Start button/ select Run / type
    eventvwr.msc<enter>
    or Go to Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance >Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.
    Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information may give a clue on the issue.

    Be cautious because you appear to have a runaway startup program. Review your system to check on startup programs. The following will help you to find them.

    Start menu > Run > MSCONFIG . Then review STARTUP Tab.

    Also, check this folder , and its contents, for the "suspect" :
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    C:\Documents and Settings\< User>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Malware/scumware use a variety of ways to hide themselves.
    One useful tool to have is Silentrunners at http://www.silentrunners.org

    Here are 2 tools from SysInternals that may help you get an insight on what's running.
    Autoruns (checks & shows what's set to auto-load at Windows startup)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/nt­w2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

    Process Explorer http://www.sysinternals.com/nt­w2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    If you still have not found it, or cured it, and only if you are familiar with Regedit !! Begin by very carefully searching your system registry, via Regedit.

    First export your registry to a save file. Then look carefully at following keys & their sub-keys . See what you have.

    Programs may "autorun" due to entries in the system registry. "Run" keys cause programs to automatically run each time that a user logs on.
    The Windows XP registry includes the following Run keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\Run
    and ...ditto ....\RunServices

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mi­crosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\RunOnce

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic­rosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­Run

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic­rosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\­RunOnce

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    victheman wrote:
    > The warning saids in the title bare, can't run 16-bit programs.
    > And the body of the warning saids, not enough memery to run this
    > program, quit one are more programs. I want to stop the warnings from
    > coming up every time window starts up. I have windows xp home editon.

Support Microsoft Windows XP