trouble setting up new machine

May 22, 2005 9:08:01 AM

Hi there,

My old CPU blown up a few weeks ago because of my CPU_FAN :p . It was an AMD
Athlon XP 1.33 with a VIA board.

.....anyway... bought a brand new 3000+ Athlon 64 with a Gigabyte GA-K8NS
Ultra-939 and 512 mb of Kinston DDR ram running at 200 mhz...

the problem is when I boot up everything is fine...bios...it beeps, etc, but
when it come to windows XP the thing just reset itself over and over again.
I re-installed Windows, it worked last night but when I came to start it this
morning same thing was happening exept that now I can see the little Windows
XP 'progression loading bar' before it resets...

any ideas ???

thx

Mark
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:55:47 PM

See my answers just below to Soaker. Especially my 2nd post. If Windows is loading up, but fails to fully do so & is freezing or re-starting, then you need to
"Disable automatic restart on system failure".

With a change of motherboard and cpu, the first thing that's usually required is to do is a repair-install of XP.

You said you did a re-install. Do you mean you did a clean install (wiping away the prior o.s.) ?

Did setup of Windows finish OK & completely ?

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Markus wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> My old CPU blown up a few weeks ago because of my CPU_FAN :p . It was
> an AMD Athlon XP 1.33 with a VIA board.
>
> ....anyway... bought a brand new 3000+ Athlon 64 with a Gigabyte
> GA-K8NS Ultra-939 and 512 mb of Kinston DDR ram running at 200 mhz...
>
> the problem is when I boot up everything is fine...bios...it beeps,
> etc, but when it come to windows XP the thing just reset itself over
> and over again. I re-installed Windows, it worked last night but when
> I came to start it this morning same thing was happening exept that
> now I can see the little Windows XP 'progression loading bar' before
> it resets...
>
> any ideas ???
>
> thx
>
> Mark
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 12:55:48 PM

Hi,

I did the repair install like said here:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

BUT what I did wrong is that I tried to boot up multiple times before doing
so... BUT it was working.. I don't know... it screwed up overnight :p  ?! I've
installed the up-to-date drivers for the integrated sound card... maybe thats
the problem ?!

anyway I'll try your "Disable automatic restart on system failure".. but
once I have the blue screen what do I do ?! take de error message and search
the database ?

hmmm safe mode and last known good configuration doesnt work either
i have a boxed copy of windows XP home edition upgrade for win98

can't wait to go back home and work on it :)

thx

"Maurice N ~ MVP" a écrit :

> See my answers just below to Soaker. Especially my 2nd post. If Windows is loading up, but fails to fully do so & is freezing or re-starting, then you need to
> "Disable automatic restart on system failure".
>
> With a change of motherboard and cpu, the first thing that's usually required is to do is a repair-install of XP.
>
> You said you did a re-install. Do you mean you did a clean install (wiping away the prior o.s.) ?
>
> Did setup of Windows finish OK & completely ?
>
> --
> Maurice N
> MVP Windows - Shell / User
> -----
>

> Markus wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > My old CPU blown up a few weeks ago because of my CPU_FAN :p . It was
> > an AMD Athlon XP 1.33 with a VIA board.
> >
> > ....anyway... bought a brand new 3000+ Athlon 64 with a Gigabyte
> > GA-K8NS Ultra-939 and 512 mb of Kinston DDR ram running at 200 mhz...
> >
> > the problem is when I boot up everything is fine...bios...it beeps,
> > etc, but when it come to windows XP the thing just reset itself over
> > and over again. I re-installed Windows, it worked last night but when
> > I came to start it this morning same thing was happening exept that
> > now I can see the little Windows XP 'progression loading bar' before
> > it resets...
> >
> > any ideas ???
> >
> > thx
> >
> > Mark

May 22, 2005 3:20:09 PM

When you say "doesn't work", what do you mean? Does it reboot right away? Does it ask for you to login? kindly expand on what exactly happened instead of saying it doesn't work.

See Aumha.org's knowledge base on stop errors and keep it handy
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

If a repair install is called for, follow these tips.
Only if you have a "full" XP CD ----
The object of this exercise is to do an in-place upgrade or an in-place installation for purposes of "repair".
It needs to go to the same partition as before , and the same directory as before.

Usually for example XP is on C drive and is on folder/directory \Windows or \WINNT.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. You do that from the pc BIOS setup screen. You specify CDROM as the first drive to boot from.

Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive, and then restart your pc.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your
screen, press a key to boot pc from the XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen,
press ENTER:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do NOT select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 function key to agree to it.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP (in your case, the one you wish to repair) is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Markus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did the repair install like said here:
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
> BUT what I did wrong is that I tried to boot up multiple times before
> doing so... BUT it was working.. I don't know... it screwed up
> overnight :p  ?! I've installed the up-to-date drivers for the
> integrated sound card... maybe thats the problem ?!
>
> anyway I'll try your "Disable automatic restart on system failure"..
> but once I have the blue screen what do I do ?! take de error message
> and search the database ?
>
> hmmm safe mode and last known good configuration doesnt work either
> i have a boxed copy of windows XP home edition upgrade for win98
>
> can't wait to go back home and work on it :)
>
> thx
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" a écrit :
>
>> See my answers just below to Soaker. Especially my 2nd post. If
>> Windows is loading up, but fails to fully do so & is freezing or
>> re-starting, then you need to "Disable automatic restart on system
>> failure".
>>
>> With a change of motherboard and cpu, the first thing that's usually
>> required is to do is a repair-install of XP.
>>
>> You said you did a re-install. Do you mean you did a clean install
>> (wiping away the prior o.s.) ?
>>
>> Did setup of Windows finish OK & completely ?
>>
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MVP Windows - Shell / User
>> -----
>>

>> Markus wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> My old CPU blown up a few weeks ago because of my CPU_FAN :p . It
>>> was an AMD Athlon XP 1.33 with a VIA board.
>>>
>>> ....anyway... bought a brand new 3000+ Athlon 64 with a Gigabyte
>>> GA-K8NS Ultra-939 and 512 mb of Kinston DDR ram running at 200
>>> mhz...
>>>
>>> the problem is when I boot up everything is fine...bios...it beeps,
>>> etc, but when it come to windows XP the thing just reset itself over
>>> and over again. I re-installed Windows, it worked last night but
>>> when I came to start it this morning same thing was happening exept
>>> that now I can see the little Windows XP 'progression loading bar'
>>> before it resets...
>>>
>>> any ideas ???
>>>
>>> thx
>>>
>>> Mark
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:21:01 AM

ok here it is...

when the comp boot up I get to the 'Windows loading screen' but when it's
ready to show the 'login screen', instead it reboot OR I can't even get to
the 'loading screen' OR (like now...) it loads properly and I can use my PC
:p  very weird

I did the proper 'Repair install' 3 times now but it doesn't cure
anything... I tested both my mem sticks and even put my old gforce 2 to try.
It enabled me to go in windows but once I've installed the new driver for my
chipset the comp would freeze on the windows loading screen...put my radeon
back in and now it's working ?! again ?! for how long... is there an utility
to check for hardware issues ?!

i'm thinking of backin everything up on a dvd and just format the
thing...but I'd like not to do it !

thx !

Mark

"Maurice N ~ MVP" a écrit :

> [...]
> > but once I have the blue screen what do I do ?! take de error message
> > and search the database ?
> >
> > hmmm safe mode and last known good configuration doesnt work either
> > i have a boxed copy of windows XP home edition upgrade for win98
> >
> > can't wait to go back home and work on it :)
> >
> > thx
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" a écrit :
> >
> >> See my answers just below to Soaker. Especially my 2nd post. If
> >> Windows is loading up, but fails to fully do so & is freezing or
> >> re-starting, then you need to "Disable automatic restart on system
> >> failure".
> >>
> >> With a change of motherboard and cpu, the first thing that's usually
> >> required is to do is a repair-install of XP.
> >>
> >> You said you did a re-install. Do you mean you did a clean install
> >> (wiping away the prior o.s.) ?
> >>
> >> Did setup of Windows finish OK & completely ?

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:23:02 AM

thx for the url btw very helpfull !

"Maurice N ~ MVP" a écrit :

> [...]
> > but once I have the blue screen what do I do ?! take de error message
> > and search the database ?
> >
> > hmmm safe mode and last known good configuration doesnt work either
> > i have a boxed copy of windows XP home edition upgrade for win98
> >
> > can't wait to go back home and work on it :)
> >
> > thx
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" a écrit :
> >
> >> See my answers just below to Soaker. Especially my 2nd post. If
> >> Windows is loading up, but fails to fully do so & is freezing or
> >> re-starting, then you need to "Disable automatic restart on system
> >> failure".
> >>
> >> With a change of motherboard and cpu, the first thing that's usually
> >> required is to do is a repair-install of XP.
> >>
> >> You said you did a re-install. Do you mean you did a clean install
> >> (wiping away the prior o.s.) ?
> >>
> >> Did setup of Windows finish OK & completely ?

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:40:20 AM

It may well be your video card and the drivers that are the issue ---- given what you've mentioned here.
Whichever card is now working, keep it and don't make quick changes.
Visit the manufacturer's suppoert website. Check to see what the version number & date is for the latest driver for "that" video card is.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Anonymous