Question about Firefox

I keep reading about this browser.

I have a Dell Dim. 2400 system with XP Home.

I've been using IE.

Some basic questions:

1) If I go to Firefox, when I d/l it, can I make it my default browser but
keep IE and switch to it if needed??

2) I use OE for mail. Can I use Firefox AND OE??

3) Will pages load much faster with Firefox??

Mel

In article <1u9Xd.1894$Fn7.1018@fe02.lga>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
says...

> I keep reading about this browser.
>
> I have a Dell Dim. 2400 system with XP Home.
>
> I've been using IE.

You have my deepest sympathies.

> Some basic questions:
>
> 1) If I go to Firefox, when I d/l it, can I make it my default browser but
> keep IE and switch to it if needed??

Yes, but I think you may find it hard to go back to IE after you
get acquainted with Firefox.

> 2) I use OE for mail. Can I use Firefox AND OE??

OE is a horrible virus vector, and bloated beyond belief. The
answer is 'Yes,' but you should take a very hard look at Thunderbird (an
E-mail client from the same folks who gave us Firefox).

> 3) Will pages load much faster with Firefox??

It looks like it to me, but load speed is dependent on a whole
slew of factors.

Happy tweaking.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Answers interleaved with your questions...

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 23:01:50 -0500, "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>I keep reading about this browser.
>
>I have a Dell Dim. 2400 system with XP Home.
>
>I've been using IE.
>
>Some basic questions:
>
>1) If I go to Firefox, when I d/l it, can I make it my default browser but
>keep IE and switch to it if needed??

Yes. Definitely.

>2) I use OE for mail. Can I use Firefox AND OE??

Yes. Firefox does not prevent any other software product from being used.

>3) Will pages load much faster with Firefox??

Not especially. To me, it runs about the same as IE. But popups are blocked in
the default setup, so you could say that popups load so fast that you don't even
see them... Ben Myers

>Mel

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:31:12 -0800, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
<SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

>In article <1u9Xd.1894$Fn7.1018@fe02.lga>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
>says...
>
>> I keep reading about this browser.
>>
>> I have a Dell Dim. 2400 system with XP Home.
>>
>> I've been using IE.
>
> You have my deepest sympathies.
>
>> Some basic questions:
>>
>> 1) If I go to Firefox, when I d/l it, can I make it my default browser but
>> keep IE and switch to it if needed??
>
> Yes, but I think you may find it hard to go back to IE after you
>get acquainted with Firefox.
>
>> 2) I use OE for mail. Can I use Firefox AND OE??
>
> OE is a horrible virus vector, and bloated beyond belief. The
>answer is 'Yes,' but you should take a very hard look at Thunderbird (an
>E-mail client from the same folks who gave us Firefox).
>
>> 3) Will pages load much faster with Firefox??
>
> It looks like it to me, but load speed is dependent on a whole
>slew of factors.
>
> Happy tweaking.

Firefox may seem faster, but testing shows it's about the same as IE.
But it's security, features, and extensions are great.

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Dave

> Some basic questions:
>
> 1) If I go to Firefox, when I d/l it, can I make it my default browser but
> keep IE and switch to it if needed??

You can also use a tiny extension program called ieview. A right click of
the mouse invokes IE.

Ma

"Ma No" <kin@earthkink.ten> wrote in message
>> Some basic questions:
>>
>> 1) If I go to Firefox, when I d/l it, can I make it my default browser
>> but keep IE and switch to it if needed??
>
> You can also use a tiny extension program called ieview. A right click of
> the mouse invokes IE.
>
> Ma

Cool! Have a link handy? If not I can google it.....

Stew

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:35:10 -0600, S.Lewis wrote:

> "Ma No" <kin@earthkink.ten> wrote in message
>>> Some basic questions:
>>>
>>> 1) If I go to Firefox, when I d/l it, can I make it my default browser
>>> but keep IE and switch to it if needed??
>>
>> You can also use a tiny extension program called ieview. A right click of
>> the mouse invokes IE.
>>
>> Ma
>>

> Cool! Have a link handy? If not I can google it.....

If you run XP you can use "Set Program Access" defaults to make FF the
default browser and also delete access to IE - and it's build into XP.

Try Control Panel, Add remove programs, select icon on bottom left....

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

" delete access to IE"? You mean prevent regular use of IE, don't you?

IE still has to remain in the XP program menu to make possible Micro$oft's
automagic software updates... Ben Myers

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:12:31 +0000, Ben Myers wrote:

> " delete access to IE"? You mean prevent regular use of IE, don't you?

I didn't say delete IE, I said delete access to it - should have said
disable access to it - meaning the user can not launch IE and the IE icon
will not be available.

> IE still has to remain in the XP program menu to make possible Micro$oft's
> automagic software updates... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:35:11 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:35:10 -0600, S.Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>> "Ma No" <kin@earthkink.ten> wrote in message

>>> Cool! Have a link handy? If not I can google it.....
>>
>>If you run XP you can use "Set Program Access" defaults to make FF the
>>default browser and also delete access to IE - and it's build into XP.
>>
>>Try Control Panel, Add remove programs, select icon on bottom left....
>>

>>--
>>spam999free@rrohio.com
>>remove 999 in order to email me

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

You guys misunderstand. I was asking Ma No for this link:

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=35&vid=1179

Stew

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:12:31 +0000, Ben Myers wrote:
>>
>> " delete access to IE"? You mean prevent regular use of IE, don't you?
>
> I didn't say delete IE, I said delete access to it - should have said
> disable access to it - meaning the user can not launch IE and the IE icon
> will not be available.
>

>> IE still has to remain in the XP program menu to make possible
>> Micro$oft's
>> automagic software updates... Ben Myers

>>>If you run XP you can use "Set Program Access" defaults to make FF the
>>>default browser and also delete access to IE - and it's build into XP.
>>>
>>>Try Control Panel, Add remove programs, select icon on bottom left....
>>>

>>>--
>>>spam999free@rrohio.com
>>>remove 999 in order to email me
>>>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Wow. Thanks for the multitude of responses.

I did d/l FIREFOX. I like it so far. It does APPEAR to be MUCH faster than
my IE 6.0 (although one of the responses here seemed to show research that
indicated this wasn't the case).

I am going to keep my IE and its icon. I'll use that for Windows Updates,
etc.

It will be fun to explore FireFox features, whatever they are.

In fact, I'll set up a new thread for that.

Mel

> You guys misunderstand. I was asking Ma No for this link:
>
> https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=35&vid=1179
>

> Stew
>

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:12:31 +0000, Ben Myers wrote:
>>>
>>> " delete access to IE"? You mean prevent regular use of IE, don't you?
>>
>> I didn't say delete IE, I said delete access to it - should have said
>> disable access to it - meaning the user can not launch IE and the IE icon
>> will not be available.
>>

>>> IE still has to remain in the XP program menu to make possible
>>> Micro$oft's
>>> automagic software updates... Ben Myers

>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com