Fido's US Roaming Partner?

Last response: in Network Providers
September 10, 2004 8:59:25 AM

Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
while in the US?

More about : fido roaming partner

September 10, 2004 10:01:57 AM

Fido's GSM roaming partners in the U.S. are T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless,
AT&T Wireless, Cincinnati Bell, Immix Wireless, i wireless, West Virginia
Wireless, Einstein PCS, and NPI Wireless. Some areas are covered by more
than one of these partners. (from fido.ca)

cd

"Crazy Larry" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
> while in the US?

September 10, 2004 1:55:58 PM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:59:25 GMT, "Crazy Larry" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
>while in the US?

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/roa_cami.shtml

There are countries from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. Look at the above
link.
September 10, 2004 10:22:12 PM

Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.

A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
(1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.

Brendan

Crazy Larry wrote:
> Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
> while in the US?

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 11:04:03 PM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:22:12 GMT, Brendan McCullough
<bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:

>Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
>selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.
>
>A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
>when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
>home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
>assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
>(1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
>be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
>the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.

011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
international calls.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:49:49 AM

Ototin wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:22:12 GMT, Brendan McCullough
> <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
>>selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.
>>
>>A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
>>when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
>>home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
>>assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
>>(1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
>>be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
>>the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.
>

> 011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
> use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
> international calls.

Just try to dial 011 1 area code number and see what you get. The point
I was making is that this procedure does not work to Canada and surely
most of the roamers receiving this message are Canadians!
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:49:50 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:49:49 GMT, Brendan McCullough
<bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:

>Ototin wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:22:12 GMT, Brendan McCullough
>> <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
>>

>>>Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
>>>selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.
>>>
>>>A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
>>>when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
>>>home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
>>>assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
>>>(1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
>>>be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
>>>the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.

>> 011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
>> use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
>> international calls.

>Just try to dial 011 1 area code number and see what you get. The point
>I was making is that this procedure does not work to Canada and surely
>most of the roamers receiving this message are Canadians!

You still don't understand what the 011 is for? 011 is the
international prefix used to dial somewhere outside of Canada and
U.S.A.

The reason that "011 1 area code number" does not work to Canada is
that the number is not outside of Canada and U.S.A. Dialing "+1 area
code number" will work because the "system" (I don't know the exact
name of the part of the network which does the dialing) ignores the +
symbol and dial only "1 area code number".
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:46:38 AM

i got on T-Mobile in chicago and cingular in los-angeles a few months ago

bloglo

"Crazy Larry" <nospam@nospam.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
> while in the US?

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 11:11:59 AM

Ototin wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:49:49 GMT, Brendan McCullough
> <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>Ototin wrote:

>>>011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
>>>use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
>>>international calls.
>

>>Just try to dial 011 1 area code number and see what you get. The point
>>I was making is that this procedure does not work to Canada and surely
>>most of the roamers receiving this message are Canadians!
>

> You still don't understand what the 011 is for? 011 is the
> international prefix used to dial somewhere outside of Canada and
> U.S.A.
>
> The reason that "011 1 area code number" does not work to Canada is
> that the number is not outside of Canada and U.S.A. Dialing "+1 area
> code number" will work because the "system" (I don't know the exact
> name of the part of the network which does the dialing) ignores the +
> symbol and dial only "1 area code number".

Please read my posts before you reply.
September 11, 2004 12:57:03 PM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:46:38 -0400, "bloglo globulo"
<bloglo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>i got on T-Mobile in chicago and cingular in los-angeles a few months ago

Well, until T-Mobile acquires the infrastructure in California and
Nevada when cingular combines with AT&T Wireless that's all you'll
get. That and AT&T Wireless.