Fido's US Roaming Partner?

Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
while in the US?
9 answers Last reply
More about fido roaming partner

    Fido's GSM roaming partners in the U.S. are T-Mobile, Cingular Wireless,
    AT&T Wireless, Cincinnati Bell, Immix Wireless, i wireless, West Virginia
    Wireless, Einstein PCS, and NPI Wireless. Some areas are covered by more
    than one of these partners. (from fido.ca)

    cd

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 04:59:25 GMT, "Crazy Larry" <nospam@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
    >while in the US?

    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/roa_cami.shtml

    There are countries from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. Look at the above
    link.

    Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
    selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.

    A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
    when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
    home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
    assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
    (1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
    be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
    the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.

    Brendan

    Crazy Larry wrote:
    > Does anyone know which American cellular network Fido customers roam on
    > while in the US?

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:22:12 GMT, Brendan McCullough
    <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:

    >Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
    >selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.
    >
    >A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
    >when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
    >home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
    >assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
    >(1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
    >be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
    >the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.

    011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
    use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
    international calls.

    Ototin wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:22:12 GMT, Brendan McCullough
    > <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
    >>selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.
    >>
    >>A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
    >>when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
    >>home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
    >>assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
    >>(1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
    >>be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
    >>the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.
    >

    > 011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
    > use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
    > international calls.

    Just try to dial 011 1 area code number and see what you get. The point
    I was making is that this procedure does not work to Canada and surely
    most of the roamers receiving this message are Canadians!

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:49:49 GMT, Brendan McCullough
    <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:

    >Ototin wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:22:12 GMT, Brendan McCullough
    >> <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Generally T-Mobile (aka VoiceStream) and secondarily Cingular. Manually
    >>>selecting AT&T will get a call not allowed message.
    >>>
    >>>A few months ago T-Mobile started sending an automated SMS to Fido subs
    >>>when crossing the border: 'T-Mobile welcomes you to the US. To call
    >>>home dial + or 011 and the country code and the number. For directory
    >>>assistance dial 411. Enjoy your stay.' While the + and Country Code
    >>>(1) will work, 011 and the Country Code (1) will not. The message must
    >>>be intended for foreigners from farther away than Canada. I cross into
    >>>the US several times a week so the message is wearing a little thin.

    >> 011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
    >> use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
    >> international calls.

    >Just try to dial 011 1 area code number and see what you get. The point
    >I was making is that this procedure does not work to Canada and surely
    >most of the roamers receiving this message are Canadians!

    You still don't understand what the 011 is for? 011 is the
    international prefix used to dial somewhere outside of Canada and
    U.S.A.

    The reason that "011 1 area code number" does not work to Canada is
    that the number is not outside of Canada and U.S.A. Dialing "+1 area
    code number" will work because the "system" (I don't know the exact
    name of the part of the network which does the dialing) ignores the +
    symbol and dial only "1 area code number".

    i got on T-Mobile in chicago and cingular in los-angeles a few months ago

    bloglo

    Ototin wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:49:49 GMT, Brendan McCullough
    > <bmccull@nospam.shaw.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>Ototin wrote:

    >>>011 is used to dial a telephone number outside Canada and U.S.A. The
    >>>use of the + symbol is meant to represent the dialing code for
    >>>international calls.
    >

    >>Just try to dial 011 1 area code number and see what you get. The point
    >>I was making is that this procedure does not work to Canada and surely
    >>most of the roamers receiving this message are Canadians!
    >

    > You still don't understand what the 011 is for? 011 is the
    > international prefix used to dial somewhere outside of Canada and
    > U.S.A.
    >
    > The reason that "011 1 area code number" does not work to Canada is
    > that the number is not outside of Canada and U.S.A. Dialing "+1 area
    > code number" will work because the "system" (I don't know the exact
    > name of the part of the network which does the dialing) ignores the +
    > symbol and dial only "1 area code number".

    Please read my posts before you reply.

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:46:38 -0400, "bloglo globulo"
    <bloglo@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >i got on T-Mobile in chicago and cingular in los-angeles a few months ago

    Well, until T-Mobile acquires the infrastructure in California and
    Nevada when cingular combines with AT&T Wireless that's all you'll
    get. That and AT&T Wireless.

Fido American Internet Service Providers