WAP11 in bridge mode or WET11...Same??

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 7, 2004 4:50:14 PM

I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?

Also..once the networks are bridged how should the subnet and gateway
IP be set in order for Lan2 to connect to the internet through Lan1?

Thanks for any experience or advice!!

Rich-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 7, 2004 7:12:07 PM

Rich wrote:
> I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
> through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
> Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?
>
> Also..once the networks are bridged how should the subnet and gateway
> IP be set in order for Lan2 to connect to the internet through Lan1?
>
> Thanks for any experience or advice!!
>
> Rich-
I don't know about the WAP11, but I have a bridge composed of two
WET11's. The IP subnet of the router serving the WET11's serves the
computers on the bridged section. That is, the WET11's are only serving
to bridge two sections of network on the same subnet. DHCP is passed
through the WET11's (and the WET11's receive their addresses through DHCP).
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 2:23:46 AM

On 7 Apr 2004 12:50:14 -0700, Rich spoketh

>I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
>through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
>Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?
>
>Also..once the networks are bridged how should the subnet and gateway
>IP be set in order for Lan2 to connect to the internet through Lan1?
>
>Thanks for any experience or advice!!
>
>Rich-

When bridging two networks using two WLAN bridges, all devices would be
on the same subnet and use the same gateway address to get to the
internet.

A WAP11 in bridging mode should be roughly the same as a WET11; they
both will only connect to other WLAN bridging devices.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
April 8, 2004 1:39:40 PM

Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<vjv8705jdfa7e50nb798p5rrm53f3klp4g@4ax.com>...
> On 7 Apr 2004 12:50:14 -0700, Rich spoketh
>
> >I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
> >through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
> >Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?
> >
> >Also..once the networks are bridged how should the subnet and gateway
> >IP be set in order for Lan2 to connect to the internet through Lan1?
> >
> >Thanks for any experience or advice!!
> >
> >Rich-
>
> When bridging two networks using two WLAN bridges, all devices would be
> on the same subnet and use the same gateway address to get to the
> internet.
>
> A WAP11 in bridging mode should be roughly the same as a WET11; they
> both will only connect to other WLAN bridging devices.
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net

So I will need a bridging device connected to each network, i.e. I
will need another AP in bridging more or bridge connected by cable to
the wireless router (Lan1) as well as the one connected to Lan2??
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 8, 2004 4:23:44 PM

Rich wrote:
> Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<vjv8705jdfa7e50nb798p5rrm53f3klp4g@4ax.com>...
>
>>On 7 Apr 2004 12:50:14 -0700, Rich spoketh
>>

>>>I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
>>>through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
>>>Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?
>>>
>>>Also..once the networks are bridged how should the subnet and gateway
>>>IP be set in order for Lan2 to connect to the internet through Lan1?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any experience or advice!!
>>>
>>>Rich-
>>
>>When bridging two networks using two WLAN bridges, all devices would be
>>on the same subnet and use the same gateway address to get to the
>>internet.
>>
>>A WAP11 in bridging mode should be roughly the same as a WET11; they
>>both will only connect to other WLAN bridging devices.
>>
>>Lars M. Hansen
>>http://www.hansenonline.net
>

> So I will need a bridging device connected to each network, i.e. I
> will need another AP in bridging more or bridge connected by cable to
> the wireless router (Lan1) as well as the one connected to Lan2??
Yes.

router -----> Bridge Device ~~~~~ Bridge Device -----> Switch/router
(cable) (radio) (cable)
April 9, 2004 12:36:59 AM

Jerry Park <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message news:<baZcc.1826$Lh2.396@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...
> Rich wrote:
> > I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
> > through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
> > Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?
> >
> > Also..once the networks are bridged how should the subnet and gateway
> > IP be set in order for Lan2 to connect to the internet through Lan1?
> >
> > Thanks for any experience or advice!!
> >
> > Rich-
> I don't know about the WAP11, but I have a bridge composed of two
> WET11's. The IP subnet of the router serving the WET11's serves the
> computers on the bridged section. That is, the WET11's are only serving
> to bridge two sections of network on the same subnet. DHCP is passed
> through the WET11's (and the WET11's receive their addresses through DHCP).

So do you mean that the subnet mask is something like 255.255.yyy.xxx
where yyy is the same on both networks? Thanks again!!

Rich-
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 9, 2004 12:42:00 PM

Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<vjv8705jdfa7e50nb798p5rrm53f3klp4g@4ax.com>...
> On 7 Apr 2004 12:50:14 -0700, Rich spoketh
>
> >I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
> >through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
> >Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?
> A WAP11 in bridging mode should be roughly the same as a WET11; they
> both will only connect to other WLAN bridging devices.

This is wrong for the WET11. I am using it to connect to an
accesspoint from Enterasys. From the APs side I am connected as
a regular client. So you can use the WET11 with many APs but not the
WAP11. The latter will only work in bridging mode with a few
compatible devices from Linksys.

Martin
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2004 2:51:32 AM

Martin Brede wrote:
> Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<vjv8705jdfa7e50nb798p5rrm53f3klp4g@4ax.com>...
>
>>On 7 Apr 2004 12:50:14 -0700, Rich spoketh
>>

>>>I would like to bridge two networks...Lan1 has an internet connection
>>>through a WRT54G and, as I understand it, Lan2 would need a bridge.
>>>Is there a difference in a WAP11 in bridge mode and a WET11?
>>
>>A WAP11 in bridging mode should be roughly the same as a WET11; they
>>both will only connect to other WLAN bridging devices.
>

> This is wrong for the WET11. I am using it to connect to an
> accesspoint from Enterasys. From the APs side I am connected as
> a regular client. So you can use the WET11 with many APs but not the
> WAP11. The latter will only work in bridging mode with a few
> compatible devices from Linksys.
>
> Martin

Hi. I have similar problem.

My configuration looks like this:

ADSL modem/router -> BEFW11S4 ~~ radio ~~~ DLink DWL800AP+ -> eth. net

------ ethernet network

the problem is, that this bridge don't work. After reading what you
said, it may not work (mostly because BEFW11S4 don't seems to be wifi
bridge). Do you think it may work in any way with this configuration?
I'm sure it'll work with another dwl800ap+ while it has 'wireless
extender feature'.

What do you think about it?

cheers
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2004 2:51:33 AM

In article <40916AD4.5020404@gazeta.pl>, shyha <shyha@gazeta.pl> wrote:
:My configuration looks like this:

:ADSL modem/router -> BEFW11S4 ~~ radio ~~~ DLink DWL800AP+ -> eth. net
: |
: ------ ethernet network

:the problem is, that this bridge don't work. After reading what you
:said, it may not work (mostly because BEFW11S4 don't seems to be wifi
:bridge). Do you think it may work in any way with this configuration?

I have configured something similar, but using a Linksys WET11 instead
of DLink DWL800AP+ . A key point to getting everything working
the right way, was to configure the devices on the far side of the WET11
to be in the same IP address range as the *LAN* side of the BEFW11S4.

I did have some things working when I had the far IP addresses configured
to match the WAN side of the BEFW11S4, but I was not getting consistant
connectivity -- sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't.
It appeared to me that the problem was ARP related -- the ARPs weren't
getting through in the BEFW11S4 -> WET11 direction.

I am, though, not currently using that configuration. The configuration
I am using is

ADSL modem/router -> Netgear RT314 -> WET11 -> BEFW11S4 -> LAN ethernet

with nothing attached to the WAN side of the BEFW11S4. The Netgear RT314
is an older *wired* ethernet router that does PPPoE and NAT -- so
my "official" ISP-level IP address is known only to the RT314, and
I'm using a private IP address space for the rest. To get this configuration
to work properly, I had to go in to the BEFW11S4's static routing
page and delete the default route (0.0.0.0) that normally points
out the WAN side, and then create a new static route 0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0
that pointed to the RT314 (router) on the LAN side.

There is no particular technical reason why I have the configuration
in the above order; for my particular configuration, I probably could have
reversed the WET11 and BEFW11S4. The order I'm using is more an
"accident of history" than anything else.
--
Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.
Anonymous

when enabling bridge connection on any device wep11 or wet11 is the same they comminucate thru mac addresses , it means that it will only transfere the communication between the lan1 and lan2 transparency , so it will use the same subnet and gateways....
hope i help you......
!