MSN and IE doesn't work any longer

May 22, 2005 8:33:22 PM

Hi Group!

Since Yesterday MSN and IE doesn't work any longer.
As Firefox is loading google.de it does not load any other page
"waiting for www.domain.de".

IE doen't work anything at all (Website found. Waiting for Response)

Even MSN think i'm not connected to the web. But I AM!
Thunderbird is loading the eMail - the only thing that works.

Anyone got an idea? I'm connected through a LAN with 3 computers.
Two of them works fine. I already tried a Winsock Fix - without any
working result.

Thanks for your help,
Christian

More about : msn work longer

Anonymous
May 22, 2005 8:33:23 PM

It would be much easier to diagnose if no sites would load, but if some do, it can be difficult.

Are you able to open sites by using the IP address? Try these:
msn.de http://213.199.159.72/ and http://213.199.159.74/
brandenburg.de http://194.76.232.141/
hamburg.de http://212.1.41.1/ and http://212.1.41.2/ and http://212.1.41.4/
thueringen.de http://195.145.245.101/

If you can open sites by using the IP, there may be a problem with the Hosts file:
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts
Open it and delete the lines containing the addresses that you cannot visit.

Also check the Restricted Sites list in Internet Explorer:
Click the Tools menu
Click Internet Options...
Click the Security tab
Click Restricted sites
Click the [Sites...] button
Remove the web sites from the list

Scan for viruses and spyware that may be limiting the sites you can open.
Lavasoft Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
SpyBot Search & Destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/
McAfee FreeScan http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/

If you still cannot resolve the problem, use System Restore to restore Windows XP to the previous working state.
Backup your system before starting.
Click Start
Click Help and Support
Click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore

Austin M. Horst
!