Tech: Stinger (Seibu) Information

Hi.

I've recently acquired a Stinger PCB along with a cabinet. This is my first
foray into arcade collecting.

When the board is powered up, the monitor displays a full screen of rubbish
and none of the buttons or joystick change what's on the screen. About half
the times I power it up, the first few notes of the game music repeat
endlessly until powered down. My gut feeling is that it's hanging during
it's startup routine, but I don't know enough about them to know what to do
to fix it.

I can find no information about this game anywhere on the net. No manual,
pinout or dipswitch info.

If anyone has any idea what components on the board may be the cause, I can
check them out. I've already replaced all the components that had been
damaged to the point where I knew they were broken.

Thanks
Andrew

If they're socketed then a good starting point would be to swap out
each of the following (1 at a time) for known good ones - assuming you
have them.

CPU
RAM
ROMs

Pobably in that order.

Then look for a good clock signal going to the cpu (pin 6 of a Z80 - no
idea what cpu stinger uses). You have a good clock signal generally
since you have a picture and video timings are derived from the
crystal, however, it's just possible that it's not getting to the cpu
though.

If that doesn't get it going then the problem's more involved
(obviously) and it's probably an addressing issue or something...

Martin.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

most likely the ram.

"Martin White" <guddler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> If they're socketed then a good starting point would be to swap out
> each of the following (1 at a time) for known good ones - assuming you
> have them.
>
> CPU
> RAM
> ROMs
>
> Pobably in that order.
>
> Then look for a good clock signal going to the cpu (pin 6 of a Z80 - no
> idea what cpu stinger uses). You have a good clock signal generally
> since you have a picture and video timings are derived from the
> crystal, however, it's just possible that it's not getting to the cpu
> though.
>
> If that doesn't get it going then the problem's more involved
> (obviously) and it's probably an addressing issue or something...
>
> Martin.

Thanks for that.. It's taken me a few days, but the problem seems to be in
the Z80. Looks like a couple of corroded pins. When I get time, I'll pull
it, replace it with a new one, and see if it'll boot up :)

Andrew