WMP 9 Playing unkknown file types

Hi all
Can anyone tell me why windows media player 9, although finding an 'unknown
file type' can play the file regardless. However when trying to stream using
wmp and the same file type, it can't play it?
I have XP Pro SP2
TIA
Regards
Sheri

--
Life may not be the party we hoped for but whilst we are here we might as
well dance

    Ask them on the WMP Newsgroup:

    Windows Media Player NG
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player&lang=en&cr=US

    "BitzchicK" <sheri.kurowski@yourtoothblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > Can anyone tell me why windows media player 9, although finding an 'unknown
    > file type' can play the file regardless. However when trying to stream using
    > wmp and the same file type, it can't play it?
    > I have XP Pro SP2
    > TIA
    > Regards
    > Sheri
    >

    > --
    > Life may not be the party we hoped for but whilst we are here we might as well
    > dance

File Type Microsoft Media Player Windows XP