Sign in with
Your question

ATI SLI to be called Multi Rendering - Q2, 2005

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2004 6:14:14 AM

NEWS NEWS

ATI to copy Nvidia's SLI idea
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19403" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19403&lt;/A>

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19449" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19449&lt;/A>

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 11/03/04 12:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 2, 2004 12:54:33 PM

Its amazing what can be accomplished when you step on the shoulders of giants.

Id rather see single cards be improved and miniturized.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
November 2, 2004 1:06:19 PM

and id rather see them partner up with this kinda thing.

lets just say weve had SLI for a while now, heres my figurative problem: if u have a 6800GT and u want to connect it with ur old 9800 pro, cuz the FX line sucked, u gattta wait till u have enough money.

"Freeze, your under arrest for the murder of Moe Sislack and Apu Nahasapasa...OK nevermind, just moe, just moe."
November 2, 2004 3:21:46 PM

yeah, like man, your 9800 and money aint enough, u no.
So go make munee, yeah, right...

November 2, 2004 3:46:15 PM

ok i was still asleep when i posted that last post. lemme explain, if u wanted to connect ur old card with ur new card, but they were different compaies, ur outta luck. thats basically wat i meant

"Freeze, your under arrest for the murder of Moe Sislack and Apu Nahasapasa...OK nevermind, just moe, just moe."
November 2, 2004 4:53:46 PM

SLI only works with two of the exact same card. There may be some exceptions, like combining two different OEMs and finding that they run perfectly fine together, but the SLI standard is very strict.

That first post doesn't make any sense- you should aim for brevity and clarity when you write.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A>
November 2, 2004 5:28:49 PM

Technically Ati isn't copying nvidias idea, they are copying voodoos idea. The only reason nvidia was able to introduced pcie sli first is because they bought voodoo. Voodoo had sli technology a long time ago.
It is just like apple, microsoft and the gui interface. Apple introduced it first because they stole it from xerox before microsoft could, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
November 2, 2004 6:26:35 PM

As long as they get it to work, i dont care who copies whom. Copying is good sometimes, thats how competition will proceed. Fun will be when ati introduces sli with a few extra features that pound on nvidia. :smile:

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2004 6:38:51 PM

Corect me if I am wrong but NVIDIA owns VooDoo and all of its technology rights and patents.

So technically nvidia is not copying Voodoo they OWN them.
But ATI technically is copying nvidia, so there must be sum sort of patent nvidia owns for certain technologys.

So this would be interesting (and fun) to see how this story of ATI producing a sli card setup goes.

I Suppose this competition will last forever but better for us more choice better technologys.
November 2, 2004 8:18:47 PM

nah cuz nvidia, figuratively they, gat technology cuz tehy have vooDoo, teh FX line sucks so, if u gatta hvae the Ati then ur sh*t outta luck,, cuz the nvidia, figuratively spaeking tehy got it first

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sweatlaserxp on 11/02/04 05:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2004 10:07:52 PM

LOL ROFL

I Heard the FX line sucked never had any experience so far with nvidia products apart fron the nforce 2 mb.

I Have only ever had ATI apart from a spare geforce 2 mx, I just got a 9800XT second hand from a mate for $50 to replace the 9200 which just died because of heat. I have been pritty happy with the ATI boards for a long long time.
November 3, 2004 2:10:07 AM

Quote:
But ATI technically is copying nvidia, so there must be sum sort of patent nvidia owns for certain technologys.

So this would be interesting (and fun) to see how this story of ATI producing a sli card setup goes.

Actually, what is interesting to note is VIA's dual PCIe solution. What is it for? If nVidia holds patents for SLI, then what is VIA stirring up with such an SLI-esque solution?

--
<font color=blue>Ede</font color=blue>
November 3, 2004 2:11:50 AM

I could not find any patents related to SLI, wierd.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:
November 3, 2004 2:21:08 AM

Now unless nVidia lied about the 3 years of researching and development of SLI (the "new and improved"), then I don't see how you could patent wiring like that. You're basically just putting two cards in the same system, laid out in a way to synchronize both. I fail to see what's there to patent except the name and some proprietary algorithms.

--
November 3, 2004 3:46:04 AM

load balancing for sure.
But Alienware also did that.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2004 9:37:30 AM

Patents are a tricky thing when electronics are involved, theres a lot of rules a regulations which stop sum patents going through, because it could give unfair compitition.

It would be interesting to find out If this technology has a patent on it. And if so who gets the royaltys?
November 3, 2004 10:58:59 AM

I don't think anybody can accuse ATi of copying after all they are just following the mantra of 2 is more powerful than one and that is the case in many fields such as dual core CPUs / Dual CPU motherboards or even sticking 2 flat six engines together to make the V12 in the Jaguar XJS.

Plus it was obvious that the end result of PCIe was going to be the ability to do this kind of thing because you are not limited by just having 1 slot that is usable for graphics cards. I am sure there will be some prototype / demo motherboard before long that has only got 4 16x PCIe slots and is filled with 4 GPUs!! I think that the key to making this thing a really cool technology is doing what ATi seem to be doing which is to implement dual GPUs but not requiring a hardware link between the 2 cards - ie the whole thing is controlled by software much like hyperthreading - the system will see 2 seperate processors but will be configured to use them as 1.

It is sad to see people turning an exciting event for gamers in to a ATi vs Nvidia arguament. AFter all everyone knows that the Volari is best :p 

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :) 
November 3, 2004 11:15:01 AM

I remember reading in maxium that alienware bought that technology from vodoo. Ill look for the article if I have time. Alienware just took to long with it and nvidia got the jump on them.

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
November 3, 2004 11:49:40 AM

Intels Xeon chipsets have supported it for quite some time as well.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
November 3, 2004 9:46:56 PM

3dfx did both the parallel SLI cards AND the dual chips on one PCB with the Voodoo 5500 back in 2000.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2004 10:48:28 PM

I never seen that article, but love to see it, I keep hearing a lot from alienware!

Yes the Voodoo was the first for multi GPU those where the days.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2004 11:13:57 PM

Alienware did not buy the technology from Voodoo they bought MetaByte which developed the <A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/19991008/slide..." target="_new">PGC method</A> that even nVidia is now copying.

Tell me which MaximumPC, I have all of them.

So really it's a GIANT stepping on the shoulders of the midget who's astride the dwarf.

It'll be interesting to see if ATI decides to use a PGC type answer as well or if they return to their alternate frame method of the MAXX series.

And to <b>NickSpeed</b>,

Quote:
Corect me if I am wrong but NVIDIA owns VooDoo and all of its technology rights and patents.

THAT would be correct.

Quote:
So technically nvidia is not copying Voodoo they OWN them.

While it's somewhat irrelevant to the actual issue itself they can still copy Voodoo while owning what's left of them, just like One division can copy the advancements of another division within the same company, it happens quite alot actually. However it's not called copying per say it's called ADOPTING. Like ATI adopting ArtX's techniques (and staff).

Quote:
But ATI technically is copying nvidia,

And how do you know this? Do you even know what method they will use? On the surface I'd say that you are incorrect, and that they are likely copying metabyte or they are using their own old technique.

Quote:
so there must be sum sort of patent nvidia owns for certain technologys.

nVidia/Voodoo didn't even come up with the technique they are currently using, Metabyte did. nVidia's cards are SLI only in name, not in actual function. Probably helps confuse patent lawyers from Alienware. :evil: 

Quote:

It will be interesting, but not for the reasons you're focusing on. nV would have no claim. The question is whether ATI sticks to their method or they to adopt the PGC method just like Alienware and nVidia; and also whether with the non-bridge solution they can do X>2 cards like ALX since they aren't limited by the physical 'SLI' bridge like nV is.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2004 11:42:20 PM

Quote:
Yes the Voodoo was the first for multi GPU those where the days.

Actually I doubt the validity of that statement. No matter how you slice it others were first. The first to hook up multiple VPUs would be the 3D add-in boards of early 3Dacceleration. And while 3Dfx (not Voodoo) was great at it they weren't first (intel even had a 2D/3D solution before this). Their SLI technology also first started appearing in 97 in their Obsidian pro line before it was sold off. This was even before V2.

And for DUAL complete VPUs, ATI's RageFuryMaxx came before the Voodoo solution (which came AFTER SLI). The Voodoo2 hat seperate processors for vertex and shading functions, but not 2 discreet+complete VPUs. Even Intel started work on that earlier.

So no, Voodoo was not the first, and 3Dfx's professional workstation line did that long before their 'Voodoo' line so even just focusing on SLI, then that would also be incorrect.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
November 4, 2004 2:25:41 AM

Is it SLI?
If not, then just what technology are they adopting for the Xeon boards?

I still wonder what's the point to tout SLI over other technologies supposedly coming out soon, that seem to be implemented quite easily compared to nVidia's claimed 3 years of SLI R&D, and do the same thing, 2 GFX cards in the PC.

--
November 4, 2004 2:27:18 AM

Quote:
I think that the key to making this thing a really cool technology is doing what ATi seem to be doing which is to implement dual GPUs but not requiring a hardware link between the 2 cards - ie the whole thing is controlled by software much like hyperthreading - the system will see 2 seperate processors but will be configured to use them as 1.

Hardware in general is faster than software processing.

--
November 4, 2004 5:19:09 PM

Of course, in that case you lose the whole modular appeal of SLI. And dual-GPU cards would be outrageously expensive, although they wouldn't cost twice as much (like an SLI config.) because the GPU is only part of the cost of <i>one</i> card. In that case, dual-GPU would be cheaper than an SLI setup, if they priced it fairly.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp..." target="_new">DumbLand</A>
November 4, 2004 6:26:36 PM

Woops, I was actually thinking he meant Dual Cards where the link is not hardware. My bad.

In that case it might actually perform like SLI unperfected, so around 60-80% more performance.

--
!