SP2 installation aborts repeatedly

I have tried repeatedly to install SP2 but with no success. The download from
MS works well enough and the unpacking of the files seems to go well too, the
installation process it moves along until it hits a wall and reutrns an error
message >>> Access Denied <<<. .... Also I can't install the automatic
security update >>> WinXP Sec Update XB835732 <<<. When this is tried an
error message returns telling me that my machine might not work correctly
again. :-( After trying this over a period of days a new error message
has now began to appear upon boot >>> "The instructions at 0x7342de3e
referenced memory at 0x7342de3e. The memory could not be "read". Clck on OK
to terminate program." <<<......And furthermore...if this makes any
difference, I have been trying to install CS2 Trial from Adobe ( I'm a long
time user of PS7) and it refuses to install. I use Panda suite (MS Firewall
is turned off) and it seems to work well except that I have never been able
to raise the Firewall level beyond "low". I'm logged on as administrator on
a multi user (family) machine with AMD 1.7gig processor, 1gig of ram, lots of
disc space, XPHome, IE and Outlook plus some other normal apps like PS7,
Wordperfect, Word, etc. Any helo would be appreciated. Thank you, Jack

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2
Cannot install Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;873148
You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install Windows XP
Service Pack 2