Intermittent freeze-ups

May 22, 2005 3:41:02 PM

I just had a friend help me install a new hard drive and Windows XP on my
machine. I took it home, and now Windows freezes up on me for about 30
seconds at a time, frees up for a minutes or so (maybe less), and then
freezes up again. It keeps doing this, no matter what applications I am
running.

I also got an error message today.

The title of the box is "16 bit
MS-DOS subsystem" and the text of the error says
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\tempax.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0534 IP:023c OP:c4 f6 06 a9 02 Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application"

I'm running Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1 (Build
2600.xpclient.010817-1148). The only things I have installed since the clean
XP install have been Mozilla Firefox, Nero StartSmart, Micorsoft Anti-Spyware
(beta), Baldur's Gate II, and a Motorola cable modem.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Help me Nerdi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

--Steven
nickdanger_99(NOSPAM)@yahoo.com
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 4:00:02 PM

Perhaps I should also mention the following:

eMachines eTower 500is
501 MHz Intel Celeron processor
256 MB of RAM
Video: ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X
Samsung CD-ROM SC-140
CD-RW (not working): Philips PCRW804
LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0

Thanks in advance,

Steven

"OblioDanger" wrote:

> I just had a friend help me install a new hard drive and Windows XP on my
> machine. I took it home, and now Windows freezes up on me for about 30
> seconds at a time, frees up for a minutes or so (maybe less), and then
> freezes up again. It keeps doing this, no matter what applications I am
> running.
>
> I also got an error message today.
>
> The title of the box is "16 bit
> MS-DOS subsystem" and the text of the error says
> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\tempax.exe
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:0534 IP:023c OP:c4 f6 06 a9 02 Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application"
>
> I'm running Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1 (Build
> 2600.xpclient.010817-1148). The only things I have installed since the clean
> XP install have been Mozilla Firefox, Nero StartSmart, Micorsoft Anti-Spyware
> (beta), Baldur's Gate II, and a Motorola cable modem.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?
>
> Help me Nerdi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.
>
> --Steven
> nickdanger_99(NOSPAM)@yahoo.com
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:09:06 PM

"OblioDanger" <OblioDanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just had a friend help me install a new hard drive and Windows XP on my
>machine. I took it home, and now Windows freezes up on me for about 30
>seconds at a time, frees up for a minutes or so (maybe less), and then
>freezes up again. It keeps doing this, no matter what applications I am
>running.
>
>I also got an error message today.
>
>The title of the box is "16 bit
>MS-DOS subsystem" and the text of the error says
>"C:\WINDOWS\System32\tempax.exe
>The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
>CS:0534 IP:023c OP:c4 f6 06 a9 02 Choose 'Close' to
>terminate the application"
>
>I'm running Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1 (Build
>2600.xpclient.010817-1148). The only things I have installed since the clean
>XP install have been Mozilla Firefox, Nero StartSmart, Micorsoft Anti-Spyware
>(beta), Baldur's Gate II, and a Motorola cable modem.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?
>
>Help me Nerdi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

It appears that something else has also gotten installed on your
computer, probably a virus/trojan/spyware item.

A google web search fails to turn up a single reference to any file
named tempax.exe and that usually means that this is scumware related
file using a randomly generated name.

Make certain your antivirus software is completely up to date, with
the virus definitions not more than a week old and do a complete virus
scan of your computer. Then get a "second opinion" by doing a free
online virus scan at one of the following sites:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Next go to MVP Jim Eshelman's free online spyware check at
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm Use Jim's Spyware Quick Fix Procedure
at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm to clean up any spyware on your
machine.

Good luck