Intermittent freeze-ups

I just had a friend help me install a new hard drive and Windows XP on my
machine. I took it home, and now Windows freezes up on me for about 30
seconds at a time, frees up for a minutes or so (maybe less), and then
freezes up again. It keeps doing this, no matter what applications I am
running.

I also got an error message today.

The title of the box is "16 bit
MS-DOS subsystem" and the text of the error says
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\tempax.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0534 IP:023c OP:c4 f6 06 a9 02 Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application"

I'm running Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1 (Build
2600.xpclient.010817-1148). The only things I have installed since the clean
XP install have been Mozilla Firefox, Nero StartSmart, Micorsoft Anti-Spyware
(beta), Baldur's Gate II, and a Motorola cable modem.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Help me Nerdi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

--Steven
nickdanger_99(NOSPAM)@yahoo.com
2 answers Last reply
More about intermittent freeze

    Perhaps I should also mention the following:

    eMachines eTower 500is
    501 MHz Intel Celeron processor
    256 MB of RAM
    Video: ATI 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X
    Samsung CD-ROM SC-140
    CD-RW (not working): Philips PCRW804
    LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0

    Thanks in advance,

    Steven

    "OblioDanger" <OblioDanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I just had a friend help me install a new hard drive and Windows XP on my
    >machine. I took it home, and now Windows freezes up on me for about 30
    >seconds at a time, frees up for a minutes or so (maybe less), and then
    >freezes up again. It keeps doing this, no matter what applications I am
    >running.
    >
    >I also got an error message today.
    >
    >The title of the box is "16 bit
    >MS-DOS subsystem" and the text of the error says
    >"C:\WINDOWS\System32\tempax.exe
    >The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >CS:0534 IP:023c OP:c4 f6 06 a9 02 Choose 'Close' to
    >terminate the application"
    >
    >I'm running Windows XP Professional, Version 5.1 (Build
    >2600.xpclient.010817-1148). The only things I have installed since the clean
    >XP install have been Mozilla Firefox, Nero StartSmart, Micorsoft Anti-Spyware
    >(beta), Baldur's Gate II, and a Motorola cable modem.
    >
    >Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?
    >
    >Help me Nerdi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

    It appears that something else has also gotten installed on your
    computer, probably a virus/trojan/spyware item.

    A google web search fails to turn up a single reference to any file
    named tempax.exe and that usually means that this is scumware related
    file using a randomly generated name.

    Make certain your antivirus software is completely up to date, with
    the virus definitions not more than a week old and do a complete virus
    scan of your computer. Then get a "second opinion" by doing a free
    online virus scan at one of the following sites:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Next go to MVP Jim Eshelman's free online spyware check at
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm Use Jim's Spyware Quick Fix Procedure
    at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm to clean up any spyware on your
    machine.

    Good luck