Lost msconfig and system restore

I have tried many recommedations on how to get system restore back up and
running but to no avail.I have run regit but system restore is not there. I
have tried to run msconfig but that will not open. When I try to run System
Restore I get a message saying System Restore
is not able to protect your system.Restart your computer and run system
restore again.I have been trying to get rid of this problem for two weeks
now.I have run Norton AV numerous times also 2 different anti spyware
programmes . Any suggestions Please
2 answers Last reply
More about lost msconfig system restore

    Bob, try Uninstalling Norton and the Anti Spyware Programs. Also
    disable System Restore. Rt click MyComputer>select
    Properties>System Restore>Check Box Turn off System Restore on all
    drives. Click Apply Ok.
    Go to Start>Run type: sfc /scannow have the WinXP CD in the cdrom
    drive. If that doesnt work
    Then do a Repair Install
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm Pay
    close attention to Step # 3
    If you have SP2 installed then disregard above advice. You will need a WinXP
    + SP2 Slipstreamed CD. BUT, if you are
    adventurous go here for very simple instructions on how to create one.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    "Bob D" <BobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have tried many recommedations on how to get system restore back up and
    > running but to no avail.I have run regit but system restore is not there.
    > have tried to run msconfig but that will not open. When I try to run
    > System
    > Restore I get a message saying System Restore
    > is not able to protect your system.Restart your computer and run system
    > restore again.I have been trying to get rid of this problem for two weeks
    > now.I have run Norton AV numerous times also 2 different anti spyware
    > programmes . Any suggestions Please

    [[When you open System Configuration Utility [MSCONFIG], Registry Editor or
    Task Manager, they flash for a second and quit. This symptom is caused by
    Viruses.]]

    Task Manager, MSCONFIG, or REGEDIT disappear while opening
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ToolsQuit.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4ED1ABC6-838C-4FB1-99B2-5435801E03ED@microsoft.com,
    Bob D <BobD@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have tried many recommedations on how to get system restore back up and
    > running but to no avail.I have run regit but system restore is not there.
    > I have tried to run msconfig but that will not open. When I try to run
    > System Restore I get a message saying System Restore
    > is not able to protect your system.Restart your computer and run system
    > restore again.I have been trying to get rid of this problem for two weeks
    > now.I have run Norton AV numerous times also 2 different anti spyware
    > programmes . Any suggestions Please

Msconfig System Restore Windows XP