updates

i know i have updates there to download. when i turn my machine on the update
icon comes on briefly and then it turns off. i have customized the icon to
hide when inactive. why does the downloads stop. i have windows xp pro, and i
am downloading sp2.

Probably because you forgot to put a Capital at the start of each sentence.

"suzieq" <suzieq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i know i have updates there to download. when i turn my machine on the
>update
> icon comes on briefly and then it turns off. i have customized the icon to
> hide when inactive. why does the downloads stop. i have windows xp pro,
> and i
> am downloading sp2.

Thankyou. I'll remember that. Ur help is most welcome. Oops sorry (your)
--
what a day

"RonK" wrote:

> Probably because you forgot to put a Capital at the start of each sentence.
>
> "suzieq" <suzieq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i know i have updates there to download. when i turn my machine on the
> >update
> > icon comes on briefly and then it turns off. i have customized the icon to
> > hide when inactive. why does the downloads stop. i have windows xp pro,
> > and i
> > am downloading sp2.
> >
> > --

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
Windows XP Service Pack 2

<snip>
7. I get notified by Automatic Update that SP-2 is ready, I pressed the button and
it seems like nothing is going to happen and I have already waited many hours.
This is normal. It is part of the process used in deploying SP-2 in an effort to keep
from overwhelming the servers, both Microsoft servers and other servers, in the chain
providing internet service to your computer.
Copied from Microsoft sends security update to home PCs: "Microsoft plans to cap the
number of home PCs updated each day so that demand for the update does not overwhelm
servers".
The other two options ("Automatic" & "Download updates") will not see this because
SP-2 will be downloaded automatically and you will only be prompted to install SP-2
and to accept the EULA.
<snip>

Alternatives:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
Windows XP Service Pack 2

"suzieq" <suzieq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i know i have updates there to download. when i turn my machine on the update
> icon comes on briefly and then it turns off. i have customized the icon to
> hide when inactive. why does the downloads stop. i have windows xp pro, and i
> am downloading sp2.

Thankyou TaurArian.
--
what a day