newbie

Ok here is the problem im having..I installed a program that came with my Dig
Camera and after in stall and restart My Computer icon is gone form the
desktop,, i checked properties , desktop tab , made sure it was checked but
no icon,, ok so i finally got the icon back but i have no dirves
showing...Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated

I would try Uninstalling the Dig Camera program. Go to Control
Panel>Add/Remove Programs. See if that fixes it.
"newbie" <newbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok here is the problem im having..I installed a program that came with my
> Dig
> Camera and after in stall and restart My Computer icon is gone form the
> desktop,, i checked properties , desktop tab , made sure it was checked
> but
> no icon,, ok so i finally got the icon back but i have no dirves
> showing...Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated

Read the instructions at the top
Scroll down to
276. Enable/Disable My Computer Icon
---

XP Pro??

Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
Navigate to >>
Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\
Double click: Remove My Computer icon on the desktop, in the right hand pane
| Setting tab | Check: ? Not Configured | Apply | OK

If Enabled this setting grays out (makes unavailable) ? My Computer in >>
Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop Tab | Customize Desktop button

[[This setting hides My Computer from the desktop and from the new Start
menu. It also hides links to My Computer in the Web view of all Explorer
windows, and it hides My Computer in the Explorer folder tree pane. If the
user navigates into My Computer via the "Up" button while this setting is
enabled, they view an empty My Computer folder. This setting allows
administrators to restrict their users from seeing My Computer in the shell
namespace, allowing them to present their users with a simpler desktop
environment.

If you enable this setting, My Computer is hidden on the desktop, the new
Start menu, the Explorer folder tree pane, and the Explorer Web views. If
the user manages to navigate to My Computer, the folder will be empty.

If you disable this setting, My Computer is displayed as usual, appearing as
normal on the desktop, Start menu, folder tree pane, and Web views, unless
restricted by another setting.

If you do not configure this setting, the default is to display My Computer
as usual.

Note: Hiding My Computer and its contents does not hide the contents of the
child folders of My Computer. For example, if the users navigate into one of
their hard drives, they see all of their folders and files there, even if
this setting is enabled. ]]

Or you can.............
Start | Run | regedit | OK |

Navigate to >>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
REG_DWORD
0x0000000 (0)

0 = My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.
1 = No My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.

Set to 0.

Delete the key >>
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User