Help! System Restore problems!

A long post follows. Please bear with me...

My System Restore looks like it's working, but it's not. In other words, the
restore function is on and running, plenty of space is alllowed on the disk,
Task Scheduler is running, restore points are being set both automatically
and by me, and the restore point calendar looks fine.

But when I try to go back to a restore point, it fails. I don't get an error
message as such, just a screen that says (after rebooting) that system
restore could not restore to that point (no explanation), and no settings
were changed. If I try another restore point, the same thing happens. It
doesn't matter if I use an automatic system checkpoint, or one that I entered
manually.

Couple points...

I know about the "solution" where you turn off System Restore, reboot, then
turn it on again. But doesn't this wipe out the restore points that are
already set? If this fix wipes out the restore points you need, what good
does it do?

Also, FWIW, when I open the System Restore application, and I get the
"Welcome to System Restore" screen, there is an underlined link toward the
lower left that says "System Restore Settings." That link is dead, nothing
happens when I click on it. Does this offer a clue?

HELP! System Restore should be a bulletproof function. It's supposed to save
you from problems. But what do you do when System Restore IS the problem?
--
CharlieC

Hi Charlie,

It's not bulletproof, and there are few options once it goes wrong. Yes, the
solution is generally to disable it, reboot, and turn it back on. Yes, this
loses all current restore points, but they weren't working anyways. Not what
you want to hear, I know, but it is what it is.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A long post follows. Please bear with me...
>
> My System Restore looks like it's working, but it's not. In other words,
> the
> restore function is on and running, plenty of space is alllowed on the
> disk,
> Task Scheduler is running, restore points are being set both automatically
> and by me, and the restore point calendar looks fine.
>
> But when I try to go back to a restore point, it fails. I don't get an
> error
> message as such, just a screen that says (after rebooting) that system
> restore could not restore to that point (no explanation), and no settings
> were changed. If I try another restore point, the same thing happens. It
> doesn't matter if I use an automatic system checkpoint, or one that I
> entered
> manually.
>
> Couple points...
>
> I know about the "solution" where you turn off System Restore, reboot,
> then
> turn it on again. But doesn't this wipe out the restore points that are
> already set? If this fix wipes out the restore points you need, what good
> does it do?
>
> Also, FWIW, when I open the System Restore application, and I get the
> "Welcome to System Restore" screen, there is an underlined link toward the
> lower left that says "System Restore Settings." That link is dead, nothing
> happens when I click on it. Does this offer a clue?
>
> HELP! System Restore should be a bulletproof function. It's supposed to
> save
> you from problems. But what do you do when System Restore IS the problem?
> --
> CharlieC

Rick... I appreciate the feedback, but it isn't much of a solution.

System Restore is a "rescue" function. A user should know that if all else
fails, he can engage System Restore and go back to a point where everything
was working properly. It SHOULD be bulletproof! Otherwise, why bother having
it? I mean, shouldn't the fire engine be the most reliable truck in the
neighborhood?

Nothing personal, just ranting about yet another chronic flaw in Windows.

Thanks again... Charlie

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Charlie,
>
> It's not bulletproof, and there are few options once it goes wrong. Yes, the
> solution is generally to disable it, reboot, and turn it back on. Yes, this
> loses all current restore points, but they weren't working anyways. Not what
> you want to hear, I know, but it is what it is.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A long post follows. Please bear with me...
> >
> > My System Restore looks like it's working, but it's not. In other words,
> > the
> > restore function is on and running, plenty of space is alllowed on the
> > disk,
> > Task Scheduler is running, restore points are being set both automatically
> > and by me, and the restore point calendar looks fine.
> >
> > But when I try to go back to a restore point, it fails. I don't get an
> > error
> > message as such, just a screen that says (after rebooting) that system
> > restore could not restore to that point (no explanation), and no settings
> > were changed. If I try another restore point, the same thing happens. It
> > doesn't matter if I use an automatic system checkpoint, or one that I
> > entered
> > manually.
> >
> > Couple points...
> >
> > I know about the "solution" where you turn off System Restore, reboot,
> > then
> > turn it on again. But doesn't this wipe out the restore points that are
> > already set? If this fix wipes out the restore points you need, what good
> > does it do?
> >
> > Also, FWIW, when I open the System Restore application, and I get the
> > "Welcome to System Restore" screen, there is an underlined link toward the
> > lower left that says "System Restore Settings." That link is dead, nothing
> > happens when I click on it. Does this offer a clue?
> >
> > HELP! System Restore should be a bulletproof function. It's supposed to
> > save
> > you from problems. But what do you do when System Restore IS the problem?
> > --
> > CharlieC

I had the exact same problem and fixed it by using the "FixBlank
Calendar" script on the left side of the page. (It fixes the registry
associations) at the following site. There are also some nice scripts
for other System Restore tweaking.
This DID fix the problem on my machine that you're having on yours! Let
me know how it goes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/srfail.html

There are some troubleshooting tips for troubleshooting System Restore
in Windows XP.
See links on left of page also:

CharlieC wrote:

> Rick... I appreciate the feedback, but it isn't much of a solution.
>
> System Restore is a "rescue" function. A user should know that if all else
> fails, he can engage System Restore and go back to a point where everything
> was working properly. It SHOULD be bulletproof! Otherwise, why bother having
> it? I mean, shouldn't the fire engine be the most reliable truck in the
> neighborhood?
>
> Nothing personal, just ranting about yet another chronic flaw in Windows.
>
> Thanks again... Charlie
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi Charlie,
> >
> > It's not bulletproof, and there are few options once it goes wrong. Yes, the
> > solution is generally to disable it, reboot, and turn it back on. Yes, this
> > loses all current restore points, but they weren't working anyways. Not what
> > you want to hear, I know, but it is what it is.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >A long post follows. Please bear with me...
> > >
> > > My System Restore looks like it's working, but it's not. In other words,
> > > the
> > > restore function is on and running, plenty of space is alllowed on the
> > > disk,
> > > Task Scheduler is running, restore points are being set both automatically
> > > and by me, and the restore point calendar looks fine.
> > >
> > > But when I try to go back to a restore point, it fails. I don't get an
> > > error
> > > message as such, just a screen that says (after rebooting) that system
> > > restore could not restore to that point (no explanation), and no settings
> > > were changed. If I try another restore point, the same thing happens. It
> > > doesn't matter if I use an automatic system checkpoint, or one that I
> > > entered
> > > manually.
> > >
> > > Couple points...
> > >
> > > I know about the "solution" where you turn off System Restore, reboot,
> > > then
> > > turn it on again. But doesn't this wipe out the restore points that are
> > > already set? If this fix wipes out the restore points you need, what good
> > > does it do?
> > >
> > > Also, FWIW, when I open the System Restore application, and I get the
> > > "Welcome to System Restore" screen, there is an underlined link toward the
> > > lower left that says "System Restore Settings." That link is dead, nothing
> > > happens when I click on it. Does this offer a clue?
> > >
> > > HELP! System Restore should be a bulletproof function. It's supposed to
> > > save
> > > you from problems. But what do you do when System Restore IS the problem?
> > > --
> > > CharlieC

Charlie, check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
Select S and scroll to System Restore.
"CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A long post follows. Please bear with me...
>
> My System Restore looks like it's working, but it's not. In other words,
> the
> restore function is on and running, plenty of space is alllowed on the
> disk,
> Task Scheduler is running, restore points are being set both automatically
> and by me, and the restore point calendar looks fine.
>
> But when I try to go back to a restore point, it fails. I don't get an
> error
> message as such, just a screen that says (after rebooting) that system
> restore could not restore to that point (no explanation), and no settings
> were changed. If I try another restore point, the same thing happens. It
> doesn't matter if I use an automatic system checkpoint, or one that I
> entered
> manually.
>
> Couple points...
>
> I know about the "solution" where you turn off System Restore, reboot,
> then
> turn it on again. But doesn't this wipe out the restore points that are
> already set? If this fix wipes out the restore points you need, what good
> does it do?
>
> Also, FWIW, when I open the System Restore application, and I get the
> "Welcome to System Restore" screen, there is an underlined link toward the
> lower left that says "System Restore Settings." That link is dead, nothing
> happens when I click on it. Does this offer a clue?
>
> HELP! System Restore should be a bulletproof function. It's supposed to
> save
> you from problems. But what do you do when System Restore IS the problem?
> --
> CharlieC

Hi Charlie,

Sorry that it was not what you wanted to hear. I was offering that
explanation as information, not as a cure.