Corrupt XP operating system

XP won't load. Called Dell and after much trying to get diagnosic on hard
drive to load could not get it to appear. Finally, they said XP is corrupted
and the only thing to do is to format and reinstall XP. Much data is on hard
drive that is not backed up and I don't want to lose it.

Anyone have any ideas? It is a Dell Dimension 8200 computer.
2 answers Last reply
More about corrupt operating system

    Eventually, you will probably have to do as Dell has advised you. I assume
    that they actually told you to use a restore CD, which replaces C: with an
    image from a hidden partition? This is different than a repair of XP, which
    would leave your personal files intact. But, a repair requires a real XP
    CD, and Dell usually does not provide one of those.

    In any case, there are several ways to get your data off of the PC, without
    using the installed version of XP.

    The easiest is to download a free ISO (CD image) of a LINUX variatin called
    KNOPPIX. See link below. Do this on a working PC with a high-speed
    internet connection, becasue the KNOPPIX ISO is about 700 Meg. Burn the ISO
    to a CD using a progam that supports "burn form image" or similar. Both
    Nero and Easy CD Creator can do this. Do not simply drag&drop the ISO on a
    CD.

    Attach an external USB hard drive to the dead Dell, then boot the Dell with
    the KNOPPIX CD. This may take a few minutes, since CD access is a lot
    slower than disk access. If it asks any questions, take the defaults or hit
    enter. From the KNOPPIX desktop you can copy whole directories from C: to
    the external hard drive. KNOPPIX also supports writing to CDs, networks,
    internet, etc.

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html (link to main website and
    downloads)

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page (info, how-to, etc)

    If you can not manage to get KNOPPIX, you could, in theory, rescue
    individual files using the XP recovery console, but that would be tedious.
    Here are some links about the recovery console.

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

    If the C: drive were FAT32, you could boot from a DOS floppy and use XCOPY
    to cop the file to a second internal hard drive or maybe an internal ZIP
    drive. However, nearly all pre-installed versions of XP use the NTFS file
    system. There are some pretty good free NTFS read/copy-only drivers for DOS
    that can overcome this problem. See following link:

    http://diskinternals.com/products/ntfs-reader/

    There are other LINUX "rescue" distributions. Try a Goggle search.

    Finally, there is Bart's PE builder. This can make an XP-based rescue CD,
    but it requires (1) a working PC with XP, (2) a CD with XP SP-1 or SP-2, (3)
    some patience. You might be able to make of these on some other PC running
    XP. Link to Bart's:

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    "troubled alot" <troubled alot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP won't load. Called Dell and after much trying to get diagnosic on hard
    > drive to load could not get it to appear. Finally, they said XP is
    > corrupted
    > and the only thing to do is to format and reinstall XP. Much data is on
    > hard
    > drive that is not backed up and I don't want to lose it.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? It is a Dell Dimension 8200 computer.

    Do you have a WinXP CD and are you getting any error messages? If you
    have a CD you can try a Repair Install or
    Parallel Install. Check here for further instructions.

    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBM/tip6300/rh6326.htm

    "troubled alot" <troubled alot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP won't load. Called Dell and after much trying to get diagnosic on hard
    > drive to load could not get it to appear. Finally, they said XP is
    > corrupted
    > and the only thing to do is to format and reinstall XP. Much data is on
    > hard
    > drive that is not backed up and I don't want to lose it.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? It is a Dell Dimension 8200 computer.

Windows XP Dell