Problem with system restore

and it must close... I have had this error for months... I cannot access
it.. I would love to repair it as there are other fixes that you must turn
off or on system restore to initiate! :) Rainy
10 answers Last reply
More about problem system restore

    Hi,

    Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    Click apply/ok, then reboot.

    Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.

    Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.

    If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    extensions for known file types".

    Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    install.

    You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > and it must close... I have had this error for months... I cannot access
    > it.. I would love to repair it as there are other fixes that you must turn
    > off or on system restore to initiate! :) Rainy

    not to appear stupid.. :) but where are the system volume information
    folders? lol thanks Rainy
    > Hi,
    >
    > Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    > restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    > it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    > Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >
    > Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    > need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    > this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >
    > Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    > doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >
    > If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >
    > Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    > files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    > "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    > extensions for known file types".
    >
    > Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    > C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    > install.
    >
    > You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    > is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    > \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> and it must close... I have had this error for months... I cannot access
    >> it.. I would love to repair it as there are other fixes that you must
    >> turn off or on system restore to initiate! :) Rainy

    thanks soooo much!!! I didn't even need to find the system volume
    information folders.. just stopping and starting it fixed it... I have been
    trying to fix it for months and months.. thanks again!! Rainy
    > Hi,
    >
    > Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    > restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    > it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to disabled.
    > Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >
    > Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    > need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    > this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >
    > Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    > doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >
    > If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >
    > Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    > files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then uncheck
    > "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also uncheck "Hide
    > extensions for known file types".
    >
    > Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    > C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    > install.
    >
    > You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386 folder
    > is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    > \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> and it must close... I have had this error for months... I cannot access
    >> it.. I would love to repair it as there are other fixes that you must
    >> turn off or on system restore to initiate! :) Rainy

    Hi,

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options
    so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:

    Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

    I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file
    types". Then look on the root of each hard drive for the System Volume
    Information folder. It should be present on any drive that was monitored by
    System Restore.

    --

    > not to appear stupid.. :) but where are the system volume information
    > folders? lol thanks Rainy
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    >> restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and doubleclick
    >> it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type dropdown to
    >> disabled. Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >>
    >> Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you may
    >> need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders for
    >> this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >>
    >> Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but it
    >> doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >>
    >> If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >>
    >> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    >> files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then
    >> uncheck "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also
    >> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >>
    >> Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    >> C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    >> install.
    >>
    >> You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386
    >> folder is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    >> \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> and it must close... I have had this error for months... I cannot access
    >>> it.. I would love to repair it as there are other fixes that you must
    >>> turn off or on system restore to initiate! :) Rainy

    Have you tried an XP Repair Install?

    Michael

    "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    > and it must close... I have had this error for months... I cannot access
    > it.. I would love to repair it as there are other fixes that you must turn
    > off or on system restore to initiate! :) Rainy

    Hi Michael

    I tried reinstalling windows xp from the cd.. and it gave me the prompt that
    what I had on my hard drive was newer (I suppose with the SP1 and SP2 on it)
    so it wouldn't install..Rainy. I will look at the link you gave me.. thanks
    Rainy
    "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Have you tried an XP Repair Install?

    > Michael
    >
    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> and it must close... I have had this error for months... I cannot access
    >> it.. I would love to repair it as there are other fixes that you must
    >> turn off or on system restore to initiate! :) Rainy

    I followed along with your instructions until I got to the "then look on the
    root of each hard drive for the System Volume Information folder" where?
    thanks Rainy
    > Hi,
    >
    > Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the
    > options so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:
    >
    > Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    > Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    > Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
    >
    > I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known
    > file types". Then look on the root of each hard drive for the System
    > Volume Information folder. It should be present on any drive that was
    > monitored by System Restore.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> not to appear stupid.. :) but where are the system volume information
    >> folders? lol thanks Rainy
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    >>> restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and
    >>> doubleclick it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type
    >>> dropdown to disabled. Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you
    >>> may need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders
    >>> for this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >>>
    >>> Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but
    >>> it doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >>>
    >>> If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >>>
    >>> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    >>> files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then
    >>> uncheck "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also
    >>> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >>>
    >>> Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    >>> C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    >>> install.
    >>>
    >>> You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386
    >>> folder is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    >>> \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message

    thanks i did.. and they are both there.. thanks so much for the help..it's
    really nice to get it back, it's been months... :) Rainy
    > Hi,
    >
    > Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the
    > options so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:
    >
    > Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    > Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    > Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
    >
    > I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known
    > file types". Then look on the root of each hard drive for the System
    > Volume Information folder. It should be present on any drive that was
    > monitored by System Restore.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >> not to appear stupid.. :) but where are the system volume information
    >> folders? lol thanks Rainy
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Once System Restore goes bad, the only thing you can do is stop it and
    >>> restart it. Start/run services.msc, locate the SR service and
    >>> doubleclick it. Click the stop button, then set the startup type
    >>> dropdown to disabled. Click apply/ok, then reboot.
    >>>
    >>> Then, check the "System Volume Information folder" on each drive (you
    >>> may need to set folder options/view tab to see hidden and system folders
    >>> for this) and delete any contents. Reverse the steps to restart it.
    >>>
    >>> Be forewarned that doing this removes all existing restore points, but
    >>> it doesn't really matter as they weren't working anyways.
    >>>
    >>> If this does not help, follow these steps to reinstall System Restore:
    >>>
    >>> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, set it to "Show hidden
    >>> files and folders" and "Show the contents of system folders", then
    >>> uncheck "Hide protected operating system files [recommended]". Also
    >>> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >>>
    >>> Then, open Windows Explorer from Start/All Programs and go to the
    >>> C:\Windows\Inf folder. Locate the sr.inf file, right-click it and choose
    >>> install.
    >>>
    >>> You may need to either insert your WinXP CD or know where your I386
    >>> folder is located on the hard drive. You may also need to know where the
    >>> \ServicePackFiles folder is (usually under the Windows directory).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message

    Hi,

    The root is the base of the drive, or C:\, not nested in a subdirectory like
    C:\Windows. In short, a directory on the root would be:

    C:\folder_name
    D:\folder_name
    etc.

    --

    >I followed along with your instructions until I got to the "then look on
    >the root of each hard drive for the System Volume Information folder"
    >where? thanks Rainy
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the
    >> options so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:
    >>
    >> Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    >> Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    >> Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
    >>
    >> I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known
    >> file types". Then look on the root of each hard drive for the System
    >> Volume Information folder. It should be present on any drive that was
    >> monitored by System Restore.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> not to appear stupid.. :) but where are the system volume information
    >>> folders? lol thanks Rainy
    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    You're most welcome.

    --

    > thanks i did.. and they are both there.. thanks so much for the help..it's
    > really nice to get it back, it's been months... :) Rainy
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the
    >> options so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:
    >>
    >> Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    >> Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    >> Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"
    >>
    >> I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known
    >> file types". Then look on the root of each hard drive for the System
    >> Volume Information folder. It should be present on any drive that was
    >> monitored by System Restore.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Rainy" <rainydays38@sweetwrapz.net> wrote in message
    >>> not to appear stupid.. :) but where are the system volume information
    >>> folders? lol thanks Rainy
    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

Support Microsoft System Restore Windows XP