Nivramus

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2004
Sorry, I know you all are tired of seeing this post. But wrather than reading through all the post, I thought a simple question would be faster.

Building a gaming box:
asus a7n8x-e deluxe
amd 2800xp
kingston hyper-x 3200
dual maxtor sata 120 (raid 1 for mp3 back-ups)

like the idea of the matched nvidia chipset video but no biggie .. 256mb preferred .... MAX price of 175.00 .. gonna play EQ2 and Halo ...

Thanks for any advise

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
a 9800pro 256bit maybe. for now atleast.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best card you'll find for $175 is the 9800 Pro 256-bit 128MB, but you'll have to shop long and hard because that price is not very widely available.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
second hands are easily avail, and from good brands.

:tongue: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/priyajeet/fing.jpg" target="_new"><i><font color=red>Very funny, Scotty.</font color=red><font color=blue> Now beam down my clothes.</font color=blue></i></A> :tongue:

Nivramus

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2004
thanks for the info ... that card will even outperform a 256mb nvidia 5700? I thought the extra memory would compensate ...

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
yes it will rape that sucker for the games you will play. I think the NV has lower bit and slower memory.

In most case an R9800PRO will beat just about anything from the nV FX line, 256mb or otherwise. And even 1GB of memory onboard wouldn't make a difference, the FX cores can't handle anything stressful enough to make a difference, except in Doom3, and even then I think that would only pull the Higher FXs even, the 5700Ultra would still be way behind even with 256mb of GDDR3.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 5700 Ultra performs similarly to the 9600 Pro. With the 9600 Pro, the 256MB version comes with 25% slower RAM than the 128MB version. The only game I know of that uses 256MB of Video RAM is Doom 3, but even then the extra speed of the 128MB version is almost as usefull.

But the 9800 Pro lays the 9600 Pro and 5700 Ultra to waste.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>