So the new ATI gear to come along shortly?

As mentioned in yesterdays PCI-SIG list, it's appears that the InQ has gleaned a few interesting tidbits about ATI's line-up. I didn't think much about it at the time, but in order for them to get certified the cards in the list must be available for testing, so that means the R430 and R480 are somewhere out there. Whether this is early engineering sample only or what, it may mean something new for X-mas shopping.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19499" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19499</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
X800SE?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0C HT, Intel D865GBF, 1GB Crucial PC3200 DDR, 2x WD 36GB Raptor 10kRPM, BBA Radeon 9800PRO, SB Audigy, Hauppage WinTV

I would think it would be the X800 regular more than the SE. But like all chips there will be lower end models, which would likely include a replacement for SE.

They are currently making PROs and SEs with XT cores so it would make sense to replace those which actually targeted cheaper cores (more likley to reach lower expectations), I would also expect them to stick with an XT and XTPE or XTUraniumEdition (followed by an EinsteinumEdt.) which would involve the R480. The XT/XTPE would be the competition for the GT/ULTRA, and the XT??(UE) would go up against the nV UltraExtreme (or whatever their refresh is called [likely close to or just better than UE performance]), Just think a UE against a UE, now that would make things easier :wink: .

<b>cefoskey</b>, I think it's more a PRO <i>AND</i> SE replacement, just replacing one low end chip makes no sense economically, and It's doubtfull that their target is so low as being only the SE.
Remember <A HREF="http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/attachments/1w0e_r480430.jpg" target="_new">the R430 is still a 16pipeline chip</A> just slower due to 0.11 mfr process (no low-k), with published mention of the 12pipeline chip. Which itself somewhat eludes to it as a slighty better than X800PRO card in full glory, and a slighty worse than PRO but better than the SE (return of LE again, just like the R9800LE?) version in it's 12 pipeline core. And then you add memory speeds, and slightly slower cores and you have some more flexibility. Of course they have to keep in mind that even a 350mhz core with 350mhz 256bit memory card while clobber an X700XT/PRO. So there's alot of flexibility to having two cores, but like nV ATI will have problems finding the right places as to not step on the toes of it's other products.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

TRENDING THREADS