i followed the steps like copying the auto thingy to the system 32 folder,
and now instead of an run error message the prgram pops up then disappears
half a second later, please help me!!!

Be aware of a few things, (1) your dos apps cannot address the hardware devices directly, (2) nor can they use real-mode
drivers. "Real mode dos" programs cannot run in XP.

It's easier to have shortcuts to your dos-app executable & then run it by clicking on that shortcut.

Look up in XP's Help and Support Center, in its search box:
"Set up two shortcuts for an MS-DOS program "
"Create or change a PIF"

Also, while in there , lookup the related topics.

And remember: XP (just like rest of NT family) does not use Config.sys / autoexec.bat; but does use Config.NT / Autoexec.NT,
located at (in \windows\system32 or yours may be at \winnt\system32 ).

Try running the program in the (alternate) 16-bit dos emulator ----via
Command.com ---
Start | Run | type Command.com <enter>

then try running your program.

Running Nonnative Applications in Windows 2000 Professional (applies to XP as well)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/professional/reskit/en-us/part8/proch36.mspx

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User