HEY MICROSOFT! Fix "Restore"!

Do any of you nice folks in Redmond read these threads? If so, please reply
and post...

I have been having problems with the System Restore utility in XP, and I see
many posters having the same sorts of problems.

Why is that? System Restore is supposed to be a "rescue" function. A user
needs to know that if all else fails, he can engage System Restore and get
his PC back to a point where everything was working. It should be
"bulletproof," one of the most reliable parts of the operating system. Why
bother having this rescue function if you can't rely on the recsue sqaud to
show up?

Are you guys working to improve this feature? And can I get a reply from
someone who has the expertise to diagnose the problem and help me fix it? I
posted my problem on 5/22 with a "Help!" in the subject line.
--
CharlieC

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

CharlieC wrote:
> Do any of you nice folks in Redmond read these threads? If so, please reply
> and post...
>
> I have been having problems with the System Restore utility in XP, and I see
> many posters having the same sorts of problems.
>
> Why is that? System Restore is supposed to be a "rescue" function. A user
> needs to know that if all else fails, he can engage System Restore and get
> his PC back to a point where everything was working. It should be
> "bulletproof," one of the most reliable parts of the operating system. Why
> bother having this rescue function if you can't rely on the recsue sqaud to
> show up?
>
> Are you guys working to improve this feature? And can I get a reply from
> someone who has the expertise to diagnose the problem and help me fix it? I
> posted my problem on 5/22 with a "Help!" in the subject line.

If you were using WinXP SP2 and that install caused it, you could get
MSFT assistance with a free 800 number as I did two weeks ago.
Otherwise, but you check out their website -- for something on System
Restore -- What occurred with mine was that I could not restore from a
Restore Point from a prior day.

Miles

CharlieC

The authors of trojans and virus code make sure that the first thing
affected is System Restore.. there would be no point in trying to infect a
computer if it was so simple to cure the infestation.. think about it..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do any of you nice folks in Redmond read these threads? If so, please
> reply
> and post...
>
> I have been having problems with the System Restore utility in XP, and I
> see
> many posters having the same sorts of problems.
>
> Why is that? System Restore is supposed to be a "rescue" function. A user
> needs to know that if all else fails, he can engage System Restore and get
> his PC back to a point where everything was working. It should be
> "bulletproof," one of the most reliable parts of the operating system. Why
> bother having this rescue function if you can't rely on the recsue sqaud
> show up?
>
> Are you guys working to improve this feature? And can I get a reply from
> someone who has the expertise to diagnose the problem and help me fix it?
> posted my problem on 5/22 with a "Help!" in the subject line.
> --
> CharlieC

"CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been having problems with the System Restore utility in XP, and I see
>many posters having the same sorts of problems....
>Are you guys working to improve this feature? And can I get a reply from
>someone who has the expertise to diagnose the problem and help me fix it? I
>posted my problem on 5/22 with a "Help!" in the subject line.

I've had problems with restore point 'disappearing' and not from a
virus or trojan attack. The solution I found is simply turn off, or
not depend on system restore and start making registry backups myself.
Do a Google search for ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility for NT) and
download that program. Erunt will let you make complete registry
backups either manually or automatically. Make a backup before making
any major change to your system and that backup is saved to a folder
on your hard drive. It won't disappear on you. In my case, I have
Erunt make a backup at every boot up. There's an excellent help file
included that will explain all the 'goodies' in detail.

I'm still keeping System Restore enabled in an attempt to find out
what is killing my restore points; so far, I don't know.

"CharlieC" <CharlieC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do any of you nice folks in Redmond read these threads? If so, please
> reply
> and post...
>
> I have been having problems with the System Restore utility in XP, and I
> see
> many posters having the same sorts of problems.
>
> Why is that? System Restore is supposed to be a "rescue" function. A user
> needs to know that if all else fails, he can engage System Restore and get
> his PC back to a point where everything was working. It should be
> "bulletproof," one of the most reliable parts of the operating system. Why
> bother having this rescue function if you can't rely on the recsue sqaud
> show up?
>
> Are you guys working to improve this feature? And can I get a reply from
> someone who has the expertise to diagnose the problem and help me fix it?
> posted my problem on 5/22 with a "Help!" in the subject line.
> --
> CharlieC

Posting again isn't going to get you an answer that you like. In most cases
System Restore is not reliable for anything other than a quick fix if
installing a program or driver goes wrong. Things usually change too much
for System Restore to work for anything other than a few days ago. Updates
are installed, programs and drivers are installed, etc. A backup strategy is
the only long term solution.

Kerry

Hi CharlieC,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
Please post the event information from Event Viewer as suggested in
the page below along with any other error message generated by System
Restore. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

CharlieC wrote:
> Do any of you nice folks in Redmond read these threads?
> If so, please reply and post...
>
> I have been having problems with the System Restore
> utility in XP, and I see many posters having the same
> sorts of problems.
>
> Why is that? System Restore is supposed to be a "rescue"
> function. A user needs to know that if all else fails, he
> can engage System Restore and get his PC back to a point
> where everything was working. It should be "bulletproof,"
> one of the most reliable parts of the operating system.
> Why bother having this rescue function if you can't rely
> on the recsue sqaud to show up?
>
> Are you guys working to improve this feature? And can I
> get a reply from someone who has the expertise to
> diagnose the problem and help me fix it? I posted my
> problem on 5/22 with a "Help!" in the subject line.

Jim

A marketing ploy by Microsoft to get you to buy...thats all.