one vs two antennas on AP

What is the purpose of two antennas on an AP? Do two antennas increase the
usable distance?

Best,
Christopher

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

I have a D-Link DI-614+. It died went the RMA route. The sent me a new one
in less than a week, no charge other than shipping to them. The original one
had 2 antennas, the replacement was a newer model and had 1 antenna. The new
one with 1 antenna get a stronger signal on all clients than the original.

I don't know if its the single antenna that makes it more efficient, or the
improved design.

Christopher Glaeser wrote:

> What is the purpose of two antennas on an AP? Do two antennas increase
> the usable distance?

APs with dual antennas, use what's called "space diversity". This works on
the principle that both are unlikely to be in a dead spot. If one antenna
can't receive the signal, the other likely can.
--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

"James Knott"

| > What is the purpose of two antennas on an AP? Do two antennas increase
| > the usable distance?
|
| APs with dual antennas, use what's called "space diversity". This works
on
| the principle that both are unlikely to be in a dead spot. If one antenna
| can't receive the signal, the other likely can.

Depending on how the diversity switching is accomplished in the radio itself
the option may or may not be an advantage. Try as I might I have yet to get
any of the providers to define how it's done in any of the hardware.

Diversity works by several methods. Some equipment meaures the signal
strength detween the two antennas and will select the higher strength.
Some equipment will look at the error rates and use whichever is
producing the lowest error rate.

Both have problems but the benefit is usually worth the expense and
limitations. Diversity should also only be used with two similar
antenna types. The antennas should also be pointed in the same
direction. It will not work very well for two high gain antennas
pointed in different directions with multiple clients.

"Anon" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
> I have a D-Link DI-614+. It died went the RMA route. The sent me a new one
> in less than a week, no charge other than shipping to them. The original
one
> had 2 antennas, the replacement was a newer model and had 1 antenna. The
new
> one with 1 antenna get a stronger signal on all clients than the original.
>
> I don't know if its the single antenna that makes it more efficient, or
the
> improved design.

Hi

Also note that although one antenna maybe on the outside, another is just as
likely inside the case (cheaper option), so they still have two antennas.
For example the D-Link 2100AP has one internal and one external antenna. It
is possible to switch these between three modes, using both antennas, the
external one only, or the internal one only. These settings are available
through Telnet to the AP. Use SET ANTENNA BEST for both, or SET ANTENNA 1
for internal or SET ANTENNA 2 for external. This may apply to other D-Link
WiFi models and those based around the same chipset.

Regards

Philip