PC Getting restarted

Sampath

Distinguished
May 23, 2005

Hi all

I have a HP PC with Windows XP SP2 installed. I also have other softwares
like Visual Studio 6, NI Labwindows CVI, LAbview and Test Stand. I also have
MSN and Yahoo messenger running. I have installed Microsoft Anti spyware BETA
installed.

All these days my PC was working fine but the last 10-12 days has been a
hell for me to work on my PC. I find that my gets re-started automatically
very often. It happens in random. It is not like when I open a particular
application that it re-starts. It just happens at random. It works fine for
some 30 mins and then it re-starts. Some time it re-starts after 1 hr or
within 10 mins itself. I am not able to undestand what is happening.

I tried changing my motherboard and RAM. Now I suspect the problem could be
with the HDD, b'cos that is the only component that I did not change. I have
also changed the power outlet socket / SMPS / power chord and everything.
Still I have that problem, Now even as I tried logging on to this group, my
PC re-started twice.

I request someone to suggest a solution to me.

Regards
Sam

This board,Abit IC7-G with RAID-875 chipset did the same,running disk-clean
up,defrag at reg intervals,installing xp hotfix 889389 installed,reset web
folders
for sp2,cleared it up,plus,open C: drive,windows,locate-minidump
folder,delete
the contents (when the computer crashes a new file is created).Run in cmd
prompt:CHKDSK C: /F From time to time.Now,the problem is gone,however if
disk clean up isnt carried out,it returns once in awhile.The cause,got
me,probably
SP2,but this method works.

"Sampath" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a HP PC with Windows XP SP2 installed. I also have other softwares
> like Visual Studio 6, NI Labwindows CVI, LAbview and Test Stand. I also have
> MSN and Yahoo messenger running. I have installed Microsoft Anti spyware BETA
> installed.
>
> All these days my PC was working fine but the last 10-12 days has been a
> hell for me to work on my PC. I find that my gets re-started automatically
> very often. It happens in random. It is not like when I open a particular
> application that it re-starts. It just happens at random. It works fine for
> some 30 mins and then it re-starts. Some time it re-starts after 1 hr or
> within 10 mins itself. I am not able to undestand what is happening.
>
> I tried changing my motherboard and RAM. Now I suspect the problem could be
> with the HDD, b'cos that is the only component that I did not change. I have
> also changed the power outlet socket / SMPS / power chord and everything.
> Still I have that problem, Now even as I tried logging on to this group, my
> PC re-started twice.
>
> I request someone to suggest a solution to me.
>
> Regards
> Sam

Howdy Sam,

First thing you must do is disable automatic restart on system failure. Windows is having a serious problem and it has the default setting to restart on error. Change that setting and let's see if it will show the error exception and some text.

Go to My Computer icon, do a right-click, then select Properties. Select the "Advanced" TAB and in the Startup and Recovery section (3rd block, near bottom) click the "Settings" button.
At System Failure block, "Un-check" the "Automatically restart" line. Apply change, make clean exit.

This will prevent a "reboot on error", and will also show (when you have Windows exception) the error code and its description.

IF a STOP error occurs, write down its number and complete description and follow up on fixes.

If Normal mode of Windows is still "re-booting" itself, reboot pc & tap the F8 Function key to select SAFE Mode, then do steps above.

See Aumha.org's knowledge base on stop errors and keep it handy
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Next, take a look at the system's Event Log:
Select Start button/ select Run , then type in

eventvwr.msc<enter>
-- or Go to Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools >Event Viewer.

Review the sections and look for Errors or Warnings that match the time the event occurred. Double click---the information "may" give a clue.

If you suspect a heating problem, first be sure there is sufficient space all around the pc case for air circulation. Be sure there is nothing blocking any air intake slots. Take a look at the power supply fan (usually in back of the pc case) to be sure it is not blocked with dust & gunk, and that it is turning when power is on.

Until you see a real exception error, the issue may be one or two of several problems. And if you moved the RAM, hopefully you did so very carefully.
One possibility is some RAM chips have gone bad.
Run a RAM memory test. MEMTEST86 is one such utility.
See http://www.memtest86.com/

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User