Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I have an important question about hard Drives

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 27, 2012 9:32:09 PM

I was wondering if you can put a Dell inspiron 1525 hard drive into a Dell inspiron 1501?
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2012 9:37:17 PM

Assuming both are SATA drives, yes. However, there may be technical and legal issues surrounding any software on the drives.
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
August 27, 2012 9:38:25 PM

Hi :) 

They will fit but may not boot...different hardware etc...

You may have to reinstall Windows and drivers..

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2012 9:38:40 PM

Connerwonnie said:
I was wondering if you can put a Dell inspiron 1525 hard drive into a Dell inspiron 1501?


They are both SATA and non-12.5mm height (they are both 9.5mm), so you are good to swap.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2012 9:43:20 PM

If you are looking for plug-n-boot, you'll AT LEAST have to run the repair option on a windows install CD before the system will boot. The hardware is compatible, you'll have to work out the software issues.
m
0
l
a c 249 D Laptop
August 27, 2012 9:47:11 PM

Maxx_Power said:
If you are looking for plug-n-boot, you'll AT LEAST have to run the repair option on a windows install CD before the system will boot. The hardware is compatible, you'll have to work out the software issues.



Hi :) 

Hes going to have to do a reinstall...a 1501 and a 1525 have different hardware...they are different generations of machine...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2012 9:53:10 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Hes going to have to do a reinstall...a 1501 and a 1525 have different hardware...they are different generations of machine...

All the best Brett :) 


I managed to get by with AMD 939 to Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo to Netbooks on the same install base XP before when I was testing out my N-lite XP install. All I had to do was repairs with Xp installer.

BUT, it is much easier to reinstall if you don't know how to do the repair, and driver installs/uninstalls.
m
0
l
August 27, 2012 10:04:31 PM

So pretty much everyone here said yes I can do it, so now another question, will I loos anything on my hard drive if I have to reinstall windows or run a reboot?
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2012 10:18:12 PM

Connerwonnie said:
So pretty much everyone here said yes I can do it, so now another question, will I loos anything on my hard drive if I have to reinstall windows or run a reboot?


That depends on the partition layout (if you have more than C drive, also D, etc and you stored your data on the other partitions not C).

BUT generally if you have only 1 partition, you will lose all your stuff if you do a "fresh" install, not a repair.

Back up the data on the HDD you need, do a fresh install is your best bet.
m
0
l
!