I have an important question about hard Drives

I was wondering if you can put a Dell inspiron 1525 hard drive into a Dell inspiron 1501?
8 answers Last reply
More about important question hard drives
  1. Assuming both are SATA drives, yes. However, there may be technical and legal issues surrounding any software on the drives.
  2. Hi :)

They will fit but may not boot...different hardware etc...

You may have to reinstall Windows and drivers..

All the best Brett :)
  3. Connerwonnie said:
    I was wondering if you can put a Dell inspiron 1525 hard drive into a Dell inspiron 1501?

They are both SATA and non-12.5mm height (they are both 9.5mm), so you are good to swap.
  4. If you are looking for plug-n-boot, you'll AT LEAST have to run the repair option on a windows install CD before the system will boot. The hardware is compatible, you'll have to work out the software issues.
  5. Maxx_Power said:
    If you are looking for plug-n-boot, you'll AT LEAST have to run the repair option on a windows install CD before the system will boot. The hardware is compatible, you'll have to work out the software issues.

Hi :)

Hes going to have to do a reinstall...a 1501 and a 1525 have different hardware...they are different generations of machine...

6. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

Hes going to have to do a reinstall...a 1501 and a 1525 have different hardware...they are different generations of machine...

I managed to get by with AMD 939 to Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo to Netbooks on the same install base XP before when I was testing out my N-lite XP install. All I had to do was repairs with Xp installer.

BUT, it is much easier to reinstall if you don't know how to do the repair, and driver installs/uninstalls.
  7. So pretty much everyone here said yes I can do it, so now another question, will I loos anything on my hard drive if I have to reinstall windows or run a reboot?
  8. Connerwonnie said:
    So pretty much everyone here said yes I can do it, so now another question, will I loos anything on my hard drive if I have to reinstall windows or run a reboot?

That depends on the partition layout (if you have more than C drive, also D, etc and you stored your data on the other partitions not C).

BUT generally if you have only 1 partition, you will lose all your stuff if you do a "fresh" install, not a repair.

Back up the data on the HDD you need, do a fresh install is your best bet.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Inspiron Hard Drives Laptops