aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Okay, a while back my 9600 pro was acting like it had a been fried... artifacts everywhere, vpu recover like mad, etc... turns out it wasnt... found this out when i had to type up an essay and all my other comps didnt have word... plugged it back in and it worked perfectly for a month or so until now. here lies my problem

last night i updated from the 8.07 to the 4.10 ccc drivers. the ccc part didnt work and i was getting vpu recover messages every once and a while while playing cs or rome total war. so i reinstalled the 8.07 drivers because they had been working pretty well. earlier today i was playing CS when my monitor randomly shut off... my computer was still running but my monitor shut off for no aparent reason. i restarted and turned off the power saving stuff because i wasnt really sure what was going on. i tried to play again and the same thing happened. again i restarted and turned off hardware acceleration and tried to play again... steam then told me that my video card could not support open gl and that it would run in the lowest possible settings.

so i said alright and tried to play and it did the exact same thing again... monitor shuts off and there is no way to get back to windows or what ever. i restarted and tried to download the 4.10 non ccc drivers and it turn off halfway done while downloading. i took my card out and tried to smell if it was fried or frying... no scent of it. so now my card is lying upstairs on my table. [typing on old machine] Is my problem driver issue or is my card dying and i should just RMA it? thanks for any input.

-lawler

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | 1gb Kingston HyperX PC4000 [2x512] | ATI 9600 Pro [upgrade soon] | Sound Blaster Audigy LS | Samsung 120gb hd

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
I just put it back in my comp to give it one last try after it sitting out for a while... its not turning off randomly now.. or yet atleast. i did install the 4.10 no ccc driver and its working ok but there are some very weird things going on. i tried to play counter-strike... it tells me that d3d and opengl are not supported. i try playing rome total war. it tells me that my video card is not direct x compatable or w/e... i check sisoft for direct x info and i have a huge list of 'no' in compatability... same with opengl. i really have no idea what the culprit is but for some reason it is acting like an onboard graphics solution cuz when i use my scrollwheel it refreshes so slowly. i welcome any ideas, even if it is to just rma it [which i am going to do anyway when i get my new video card] i hope there is some sort of temporary solution so i can play hl2 and not have to buy a low end card just so i can use my comp [the sight of radeon 8500 or something in my comp is frightening ;D]

thanks
-lawler

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | 1gb Kingston HyperX PC4000 [2x512] | ATI 9600 Pro [upgrade soon] | Sound Blaster Audigy LS | Samsung 120gb hd

First 8.07 is NEWER than 4.10 (8.062), so that;s actually a downgrade.

Second, all the crashing sounds like FastWrites, is it on? If so, disable it.

Third, disabling Hardware acceleration essential turns your card into a 2D card. NEVER do that for gaming.

At this point, you've likely done a whole whack of stuff that you have to clean up, but basically start by cleaning out whatever the heck is left over from previous installs with something like DriverCleaner ,rolling back is usually more problematic than uppgrading without a clean machine in my experience, stick with the non-ccc drivers (just easier, especially for troubleshooting), disable fastwrites, don't overclock (anything, system & card) and see what happens.

Also make sure your MOBO bios and chipset drivers are the latest ones.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
ok ill do that, but theres also another odd thing that happened last night when i tried to fix it. i reinstalled directx because it didnt even recognize the properties on my card. now my computer freezes and gives me a blue screen that says something along the line of MACHINE_something_error [i forget the exact name, this is after i turned hardware acceleration back on].. ill try disabling fast right and post what happens.
thanks
-lawler

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
yeaaaa... just turned off fast draw and reinstalled the 8.07 drivers. its running pretty stable, im just about to try a game. god damn it!!!! it just shut off on me [sob sob sob] well i guess i will fiddle around with it some more and use drivercleaner. is there anything that would explain my monitor turning off on me because that is pretty weird. my friend had a power supply problem that was pretty similar. except his was on startup because it could not supply enough power to his 9800 pro. could this be a psu problem? i doubt it is because my computer is still running, it just isnt sending any signals to my monitor as far as i can deduce. hopefully it will last long enough until i get a new card so i can rma it and keep using my computer :D

thanks
-lawler

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
yeaaaa... just turned off fast draw and reinstalled the 8.07 drivers. its running pretty stable, im just about to try a game. god damn it!!!! it just shut off on me [sob sob sob] well i guess i will fiddle around with it some more and use drivercleaner. is there anything that would explain my monitor turning off on me because that is pretty weird. my friend had a power supply problem that was pretty similar. except his was on startup because it could not supply enough power to his 9800 pro. could this be a psu problem? i doubt it is because my computer is still running, it just isnt sending any signals to my monitor as far as i can deduce. hopefully it will last long enough until i get a new card so i can rma it and keep using my computer :D

thanks
-lawler

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
yay! thanks grape!!! used the drivercleaner about 1000 times and it gave me a list of like 394498 files missing :p how could that happen =? well i reisntalled 8.07 and its running very stable so far... thanks a bunch... im sure there will be some problem later cuz it hates me :D
thanks
-lawler

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
oh jeez... the pain ensues :////////

worked perfectly until i decided i wanted to open steam... then it went into a catacalysmic downfall [i cant spell :D] here are some of the things it has done since last post: odd windows load up screens resulting in frozen artifacted windows loadup screen; blue screen saying that a fatal error has occured laced with artifacts; boot up screen asking if i want to run in safe mode/normal/last good config where the letters jump around [rather intersting looking... if only i didnt know that it was because of a problem with my video card], a windows load up screen with a multicolored 'crosshairs' thing in the load up bar; freezing at mobo screen; get into windows and the mouse cursor has artifacts like mad around it;

AND MY FAVORITE [sorry for caps but it really is my favorite]... WINDOWS COULD NOT FIND \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

omfg... you dont understand how much i hate this screen. got it on old comp randomly... drove me to a new hd and new pc components. i was awestruck when i saw this message, simply devistated. i have no idea how a video card problem could lead to this, and no idea what the problem even is anymore because of 'fixes' that work for a while then everything becomes chaos. uhhh found my month old rma sheet and started to pack up my video card, no hope for this old bastaaad... now i have to wait 10 business days + shipping to get my video card back, just perfect timing... seeing hl2 is coming out in less than 7 days now and i will have no way to play it [but that wont stop me from still getting it the day its released... im not going to wait for stocks to be refilled] oh the dreary dreary reality of this once great video card :(

now im looking at cheapo cards to see if i can get one to use as a bridge until my rma returns and the holidays approach [so i can get my new card yipee] :/ sorry if this sounded like a rant/ annoying post but thats how i feel right now and i have no reason to explain why this has happened.

thanks for the suggestion grape
-lawler