PCI-E to AGP Converter

rx7000

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2003
Nothing like a short and sweet answer like, "Never".

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

There really won't be any such thing like ChipDeath mentioned. The closest you get is the motherboard solutions like VIA's G.E.A.R., but even that is the inverse allowing AGP on PCIe boards.

No PCIe cards will be useable on AGP boards except for those that have bridged solutions already on the cards.

Running AGP in a PCIe slot modified to pretend to be AGP is alot easier than the inverse.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Wicked_Spider

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Blehh im confused...

I thought the bridge will be some type of physical slot you plug in the AGP slot and it will have an PCIe extention now it seems the mobo must come with the bridge already on it? will you be able to buy it seperatly or does it have to come already on the board?

hope i understood our post correctly ape
BTW is the 6600GT considered a "Bridged" card? :confused:

ATI was going to bring out a physical bridge, but dropped their plans to do so (they originally expected PCIe cards to come out long before the slots [still almost did]). Even nVidia uses their HIS bridge chip (works for both AGP->PCIe and PCIe->AGP). So currently the bridges are integrated into either the card itself or the motherboard. And it appears that ATI has even dropped (for the near term) their plans at bridging their PCIe cards for AGP users, instead pointing people to the R9800PRO and X800 series as their Mid and Upper level solutions.

Too bad too, I was hoping for a bridge to mess around with future setups, but that's not going to happen it seems.

Missed this first time around;
BTW is the 6600GT considered a "Bridged" card? :confused:
Well that depends. There is the PCIe version of the GF6600GT, which is a PCIe chip on a PCIe card/form factor/interface. There is also the AGP version of the GF6600GT which uses the PCIe chip -> HIS Bridge Chip -> AGP interface. If you look at <A HREF="http://world.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=http://www.hardtecs4u.com/?id=1099615730,22462,ht4u.php" target="_new">this review of the AGP version</A> you can see the ship quite clearly between the GPU and the AGP interface. Also the GF6800PCIe is the opposite, it's an AGP GPU with a bridge chip to a PCIe interface.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 11/08/04 01:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Wicked_Spider

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Im sorry that im bashing these forums with my questions about the AGP-->PCIe bridge but i truely do not understand any of it.(i understand the concept but i dont understand how it will be applyed in the system)
in the picture i can see a little chip (center and down) is that supposed to be the PCIe bridge?
because if it is i dont have a clue how it will fit with an PCIe slot (it doesnt look that the card will fit a physical PCIe slot in the pic)

to make thing easier based on the picture, will it fit a PCIe slot without any problems?

sorry about the messy post ;)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No. "bridge" refers to a chip, not a slot. Basically you have AGP boards and PCI-E boards. You have AGP video chips and PCI-E video chips.

When nVidia wants to make a PCI-E card, they put an AGP video chip on a PCI-E card, and use the bridge to change the data signal. This is done on the card itself, the card only has the PCI-E connector.

Nobody is going to make a PCI-E to AGP adapter that fits standard boards, it would be darned near impossible to work out and require that whatever card you used on that adapter be only 1/2 height, making the entire concept futile.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>