old my docs folder

i had to re-install windows and when i did it gave me a new my docs folder
and im not able to access the old one
its like when you try to open a diffrent logins my docs folder
ive tried making a new login to match the old one but it didnt work

any ideas would be a great help
thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about docs folder

    How to take ownership of a folder
    Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
    administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
    account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

    If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File
    Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it
    is not joined to a domain.

    For additional information about how to do this, click the following article
    number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    307874 How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared
    folder in Windows XP
    To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
    Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
    appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are
    logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to
    take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on
    subcontainers and objects check box.
    5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you
    Full Control?

    All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership
    of.
    6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you
    want for the folder and its contents.
    Back to the top
    How to take ownership of a file
    Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has
    administrative credentials.

    To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
    1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click
    Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
    appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group,
    and then click OK.

    The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change
    the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
    5. Click Add.
    6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or
    group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type
    Administrator.
    7. Click OK.
    8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and
    then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that
    user.
    9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

    "sprocket" wrote:

    > i had to re-install windows and when i did it gave me a new my docs folder
    > and im not able to access the old one
    > its like when you try to open a diffrent logins my docs folder
    > ive tried making a new login to match the old one but it didnt work
    >
    > any ideas would be a great help
    > thanks

Support Microsoft Windows XP