Win98 boot trouble

green

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
when i turn on my computer it goes through post then brings up the windows 98 screen but then it goes back to dos and stops at c:\windows. Tried reinstalling windows and it did not help.

Can you be a little more specific, Did this problem suddenly arise from a perfectly fine machine? Was something done or changed thats caused this to arise? Were you trying to reload the OP/SYS period? What do you have to proceed from this point? Installation CD? Floppy bootdisk? When you said you tried reinstalling Windows what did you do exactly???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) type win
2.) press enter

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

green

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
I was having other problems with my computer before this problem happened. The prevoius problem was that windows loaded fine but the taskbar was not responsive and some programs would not run right. Then i tried to run a virus scan thinking that it may be a virus but it would not run because the program had an error. So i tried to reload the virus scan but the i received an error mesage saying that the cd drive was not ready. So then i figured that the problem was with windows and decided to reload it. So i booted to a win98 startup disk and ran the setup off of the windows 98 cd and fully reloaded windows over the old windows. But now when i turn the computer on it goes through post then the windows 98 screen but then back to the c:\windows prompt. I typed win at the prompt but then it ask me if i would like to exit dos mode and i type yes it restarts and but goes back to the prompt again.

Did you try what Crashman posted, to see if Windows would load? Have you recently added any RAM to the machine, or any other hardware at all? From everything you've posted it seems like you've got somekind of hardware problem, maybe your RAMs gone bad, if you've got a operational machine you can download Memtest from<A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">http://www.bootdisk.com</A> in the Utilities section, and run a test on your RAM.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

green

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2003
Yes i tried what Crashman said but it did not work it just went back to the same prompt and not windows. about 2-3 weks ago i added a sound card and a video card. I can boot into safe mode. I will download the memory tester on my other computer and then try the memory tester.