ok my turn to add new conversation

Ok, after seeing the holy grail thread, I got to thinking about another
interesting thread (at least to me).

What game did you think would be easiest to find, but ended up being hard to
locate, rare, or kept slipping through your fingers.

For me I would have to say: Track and Field

You would think those would be as common as pacman. I do have one in my
collection, but its the only one I have ever had for sale around me (except
for a table model that looked as if it spent 10 years at the bottom of a
lake). I am glad I bought the one I did, because I have yet to find
another for sale around me. I would have guessed that game would have
been everywhere.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

For me, it's Food Fight and Wizard of Wor. Both were pretty common in
my area back in the 80s when I was growing up (in Baltimore), but
they're hard to come by now--at least in North Carolina (where I am
now).

I've seen one Food Fight at the Winston-Salem auction (my most frequent
buying venue) in the last five years, and it was too beat up to pay the
nearly $600 it went for. I passed on a minty $600 Food Fight about a
year ago because I had no room and no money at the time.

Wizard of Wor...geez, that's hard to find around here! I've never seen
one at the auction or anywhere else locally. (I tend to use eBay
sparingly...hate the shipping costs.)

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

> What game did you think would be easiest to find, but ended up being hard to
> locate, rare, or kept slipping through your fingers.

Games from that 'tween' era in the mid-80s always seem to be hard to
find. Classic era games up to say 1983, not such a problem to still
find the odd dedicated one, etc. Jamma games from 1988 onwards, well if
a dedicated version did exist, you'll likely find one eventually.

Now, games from 1984-6, many times are near impossible to find original
or at all. I guess you run into that catch-22. Not classic enough,
collectors don't care. Didn't make money at some point, operators
converted them.

Anyway, my game in this area was Kung Fu Master. Took me YEARS to
finally get one. Then I had to buy a second complete game a few years
after that just for the Bezel. I've been on the hunt for a CPO overlay
for it for about 5 years, best thing i've found is a bootleg.. better
than nothing I guess. Problem is, game isn't actually worth anything.
Paid $75 for one, $50 for the other so many people who have artwork
etc. for it, don't bother digging it out of the boxes in the back.
Worthless, why bother?

Off topic but Funny thing, same thing happens in the Comic Book world,
you have many issues that are valuable simply because they're so
worthless that no comic store kept back-issues thus making them rare.
Transformers issues go for some serious cash because you can't find
them in stores, because they didn't bother to keep them in stock and
sold them for pennies when they did get them.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com

Darn, Gyruss is hard to find?? That's one I would have bought (if I
ever got room enough for multiple machines). I saw tons of them back
when I was a kid.
I've always had a temptation to get Cobra Command, my favorite laser
disc game. I know it was just a Dragon's Lair mod but it did have a
joystick controller and nice marquee artwork. My suspicion is that
Cobra Command is also really hard to find. Oh well, perhaps better that
I save my money.

I saw a couple of Gyruss machines at the Winston-Salem auction back in
April. Both were fairly decent and both were working. One went for $165
and the other went for $170. Seems to be hit or miss on
Gyruss--sometimes you see them everywhere, but other times they're
nowhere to be found.

I satisfied my Gyruss craving by including it on the 9-in-1 JAMMA board
I'm running in my Double Dragon cabinet. Not quite the same as having
the dedicated machine, but it lets me get my Gyruss fix--and the single
JAMMA cabinet takes up a LOT less space than nine dedicated cabinets.
:)

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

That'd be news to me, i posted WTBs every few months for years. Anyway,
if anyone knows of anybody that still has some, i'm all ears.

= numsix
= http://www.villagebbs.com

pac land.....
will i ever find one nice enough?

guinness

Thought easy to find, difficult to get:

Fire Truck (early in my collecting life I had access to like 3, then it took
me four years to get one). Krull, Gyruss, Frontline, and Burgertime.

tim (NH)

"Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in message
> Ok, after seeing the holy grail thread, I got to thinking about another
> interesting thread (at least to me).
>
> What game did you think would be easiest to find, but ended up being hard
> to locate, rare, or kept slipping through your fingers.
>

> For me I would have to say: Track and Field
>
> You would think those would be as common as pacman. I do have one in my
> collection, but its the only one I have ever had for sale around me
> (except for a table model that looked as if it spent 10 years at the
> bottom of a lake). I am glad I bought the one I did, because I have yet
> to find another for sale around me. I would have guessed that game
> would have been everywhere.
>

> --
> Mickster
>
> Visit my website and see my arcade!!
>
> http://mickster.freeservers.com

guinness

>>I've been on the hunt for a CPO overlay for it for about 5 years

Todd had a boatload of NOS cpo's for $25 each (I think he's been sold out
for a year or so). I got one and it was perfect. He had them for awhile
too...I had NOS sideart but sold it when the game I got had good art.

tim (NH)