X800 & 6800-series GPU's not in Shuttle SB81P??

evert

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
evert.meulie.net
Hi everyone!

I've just been told by an official Shuttle reseller(?) that because of a combination of heat/size/power consumption issues, it is not possible to use anything higher than a X600 (ATI) or a 6600 (NVidia) in a Shuttle SB81P. Is this true...??

Regards,
Evert Meulie

EvilMike

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2003
I've seen BFG 6800 GTs in shuttles, I've seen watercooling in shuttles. I believe it depends on what type of shuttle it is though, but it can be done.

p4 2.8c @ 3.1ghz | Allied AL-B450E | ABIT IC7 | 2x512 Corsair TwinX PC3200 | BBA Radeon 9800Pro 128mb @ stock | 32gb WD Raptor & WD 120gb 7.2k rpm | SB Audigy LS w/ Creative T5400 5.1

evert

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
evert.meulie.net
Hmm, 'it can be done' is not quite the same as 'it will work fine' or even 'it is recommended'... ;-)

Is there anyone out there who has a good-running system with a X800XT (PE) in it, and who hasn't made any other mods to the standard Shuttle SB81P barebone? :)

Regards,
Evert Meulie

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Shuttles have a deceptively humble power rating, probably very efficient compared to others. However, I wouldn't take the risk of putting a 6800 Ultra in with a socket 939 setup. I did hear that they offer higher-output power supplies, but they're expensive.

<A HREF="http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp?id=dumb01&mature=accept" target="_new">DumbLand</A>

Well I'll save Crashman the time of posting this.

"<i><b>TOP-END parts don't belong in Crappy SFF boxes, get Micro-ATX!" </b></i> <font color=purple>OR</font color=purple> <b><i>"Try getting a Lunchbox, a PSU and some Duct-Tape, it'd be better suited for the X800/GF6800"</i></b>

Of course I'm paraaphrasing, I think he might be more apt to use a Yugo or Lada reference and a tin of Skoal. Skoal for your Skoda maybe.

Seriously, if you want small, you gotta make compromises unless you upgrade the PSU, get better (more efficient and effective) cooling or get something built for it like the FragBox, Monarch (swap out PSU), etc.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get a Micro ATX slim tower that's narrower than an SFF and get one of those high capacity power supplies for it allong with your choice of boards. Narrower cases are easier to carry anyway.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>